Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
This might be a pipe dream

so-youre-saying-theres-a-chance-memes-com-16169791.png

Murp

Nov 15, 2019
Haven't seen it discussed here (didn't go back very far) but what are Bolts fans thoughts on the cap crunch you're facing this coming off season?

Any idea how Tampa is able to re-sign Cirelli, Sergachev and Cernak with only $5 million cap space?

From what I can tell every big ticket player has complete no trade protection except for Kucherov, Point and Vasilevskiy and then Killorn who's limited NTC allows him to block 16 teams starting this off season.

Do you foresee others like Johnson, Gourde, Palat or McDonough waiving despite not having to?

Just curious.
They CBO Johnson, trade Killorn and Paquette, and bridge Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak. Obviously a cake-walk situation.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
I just dont believe that Brisbois will allow Cirelli, Serg and Cernak to get away! Their are really no backup alternatives to either of the three waiting in the minors. Bolts will take pennies on the dollar in returns for Killorn, TJ and Palat in order to create cap space. Frankly if all we get back from those three is no better than a combined 3/4 round pick- I am completely fine with that. The ability for this team to compete for future CUPs lies in keeping Cirelli-Serg-Cernak long term!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I just dont believe that Brisbois will allow Cirelli, Serg and Cernak to get away! Their are really no backup alternatives to either of the three waiting in the minors. Bolts will take pennies on the dollar in returns for Killorn, TJ and Palat in order to create cap space. Frankly if all we get back from those three is no better than a combined 3/4 round pick- I am completely fine with that. The ability for this team to compete for future CUPs lies in keeping Cirelli-Serg-Cernak long term!
Nah

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Would you guys make a deal around Palat for Byron+picks?

Saves you guys 1.9mill, get picks, while keeping the LW NHL ready player who has speed.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Saves you guys 1.9mill, get picks, while keeping the LW NHL ready player who has speed.
Speed isn't really the first thing that comes to mind when taking about Palat though.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Speed isn't really the first thing that comes to mind when taking about Palat though.
Not comparing them. Just saying it would add speed to your lineup while keeping offense. Adding picks as you don’t have your first. Plus you save the 1.9mill.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

This could only really be contingent on moving Johnson.

I don't think TB can get away with the possibility of two forwards below 5'10 on the same line together. Especially in the playoffs.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

That's not enticing unless that pick is a 2021 unprotected 1st. Byron isn't needed at all especially making 3.4M. If we get Palat to waive we would find a much better offer where we don't take back a player making 3.4 for 3 more years. Palat is younger, better, signed for less years and we have others we'd trade before him.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Honestly I see killorn plus someone moving and Tampa trading a 1st round pick for a rental to fill the whole.

That’s if we don’t win the cup.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I wonder if Vancouver would do:

Johnson + 2nd for Sutter + 3rd or 4th

The theory is that Johnson would waive to be closer to home in Vancouver.

We buy out Sutter right away, open up an extra 3 million in the first year and 3.9 in the second year and he's off the books.

Would give us 8 million to play with before moving Killorn. Moving him we would be at 12.5 million. Might be something to explore to move Johnson for another teams cap problem that would be easier for us to buyout and save that way.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You need a way better reason for Johnson to waive from Tampa other than "Vancouver is close to Seattle and he must be itching to go home.."

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This is hard to consider, but Columbus may need a center more than anyone. Anaheim doesn't need a center as much, but they're thin on LW.

Ottawa too of course needs a center, but who will waive?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
You need a way better reason for Johnson to waive from Tampa other than "Vancouver is close to Seattle and he must be itching to go home.."
If the team makes it clear they want him to move and he gets a say to where he goes, I don't see why he would force himself to stay. Like, it's pretty clear that Cirelli has pushed him down the depth chart for us, and we need to make a move. Why not have a say in where you go if the team is adamant on moving you? Vancouver is trending in the right direction in the weakest division in the league. He'll get quality ice time there and it's close to home.

I'm not saying he'll waive but Vancouver offers him a good opportunity from a place that is clearly making it obvious to him that it's time to move on. Also with the new CBA, he wouldn't lose his NTC going there either.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
This is hard to consider, but Columbus may need a center more than anyone. Anaheim doesn't need a center as much, but they're thin on LW.

Ottawa too of course needs a center, but who will waive?
Depending on how Columbus does this year, someone might. I picked Vancouver because they have most of the pieces and young exciting talent to play with. It's a pretty great city if you make good money (I live here) and Vancouver has some roster contracts they'd like to get rid of. Johnson would instantly become a performer for them and plays their style also. He's a pretty good fit.

Vancouver's roster contracts they'd like to move are Roussel, Beagle, and Sutter. Sutter makes the most. Ferland is LTIR and I'm not sure what his status is or if he will ever play again.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I wonder if Vancouver would do:

Johnson + 2nd for Sutter + 3rd or 4th

The theory is that Johnson would waive to be closer to home in Vancouver.

We buy out Sutter right away, open up an extra 3 million in the first year and 3.9 in the second year and he's off the books.

Would give us 8 million to play with before moving Killorn. Moving him we would be at 12.5 million. Might be something to explore to move Johnson for another teams cap problem that would be easier for us to buyout and save that way.

I can't see Vancouver having much interest in Johnson. Not because he wouldn't be an upgrade on Sutter it's just they need future capspace for Pettersson and Hughes which Johnson takes up. Maybe a deal for Eriksson would make more sense. They get rid of a player they don't want who has 2 years left for someone better but with 4 years left. Maybe they can retain 500k so the cap would be the same Johnson at 5M + 500k retained on Eriksson has him at 5.5M while Eriksson is 5.5M for us.

Why would we add more salary in Eriksson? We would because he has 2 years to Johnson's 4. We can retain 1.5M on him and trade him to say Ottawa along with a 5th for a 6th. Ottawa adds 4M to its cap but with 2M in retention and having his 3M bonus already paid by Vancouver isn't owed much cash at all. For us we take a 1.5M hit but for just 2 years which opens up 3.5M from what Johnson would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad