2019-20 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3: Uncharted

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The escrow stuff and financial insecurity may help us in retaining these guys on short contracts. It's an unknown but theres a chance.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
The escrow stuff and financial insecurity may help us in retaining these guys on short contracts. It's an unknown but theres a chance.

I could see it going that way. I could also see the flat cap making the offer sheet a real option that agents will present in October. I'm sure none of these guys want to leave but in terms of financial security its in their best interest to shop around.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
So before the Stamkos injury our top-6 was on fire but the bottom-6 was a mess,

Palat-Point-Kucherov
Stamkos-Cirelli-Killorn

and a bunch of line juggling with the other guys, we could always "stack" the lines to the above if we need but I think if we want to get the most out of every player we'd need lines like:

Killorn-Stamkos-Kucherov
Johnson-Point-Gourde
Palat-Cirelli-Coleman
Maroon-Paquette-Goodrow

Johnson and Gourde have been pretty much non factors when not playing with Point for over a year now and that's 10.5m in capspace wasted if they don't perform.
Gourde has been a non factor not playing with Point.

Johnson tho has played well with Palat and Cirelli

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Gourde has been a non factor not playing with Point.

Johnson tho has played well with Palat and Cirelli

The last 3 seasons Gourde has had 64, 48 and 30 points. Johnson has had 50, 47 and 31. In 17-18 Gourde played like 35% of the season at ES with Point, 18-19 28%, 19-20 4%. Johnson played 29%, 18-19 56%, 19-20 11%. I wouldn't call Gourde a non factor without Point, his big season was with the 66 point Point and not the 90 point 1C. He played with Point less than Johnson the next season and still outproduced him. This year he has barely played with him and has similar production to Johnson. Johnson hasn't been nearly as good with Point than Gourde has either.

Johnson has been ok with Cirelli and Palat, he has only 31 points this year. Gourde has 30 playing mostly with Maroon and Pacquette. Gourde is the better all around player and can produce in a lesser role while Johnson needs a top 6 role and still doesn't blow Gourde away. Going forward i would keep Gourde over Johnson even with thr extra year and AAV. He doesn't seem to be showing any signs of physically slowing down while Johnson doesn't seem the same as before. So if both guys are slipping offensively I take the one who's better all around and not wearing down.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
The last 3 seasons Gourde has had 64, 48 and 30 points. Johnson has had 50, 47 and 31. In 17-18 Gourde played like 35% of the season at ES with Point, 18-19 28%, 19-20 4%. Johnson played 29%, 18-19 56%, 19-20 11%. I wouldn't call Gourde a non factor without Point, his big season was with the 66 point Point and not the 90 point 1C. He played with Point less than Johnson the next season and still outproduced him. This year he has barely played with him and has similar production to Johnson. Johnson hasn't been nearly as good with Point than Gourde has either.

Johnson has been ok with Cirelli and Palat, he has only 31 points this year. Gourde has 30 playing mostly with Maroon and Pacquette. Gourde is the better all around player and can produce in a lesser role while Johnson needs a top 6 role and still doesn't blow Gourde away. Going forward i would keep Gourde over Johnson even with thr extra year and AAV. He doesn't seem to be showing any signs of physically slowing down while Johnson doesn't seem the same as before. So if both guys are slipping offensively I take the one who's better all around and not wearing down.

Agreed . It would be a pipe dream to lose Tyler Johnson

Reactions: DaBolts

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015

I would take Gourde over TJ only because he's so much better on defense and aggravating star players.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

From Bob McKenzie:
"The plan is to play three games a day in both Edmonton and Toronto. The time table template if you will is, local times, is to schedule those games at 12 noon, 4pm, and 8pm."
"What happens if there's multiple multi-over time games because it's the Stanley Cup playoffs and it's unlimited overtimes? Well my answer to that would be, since your show is called 'That's Hockey,' that's the way it goes. Now I can also tell you in the preliminary round when you've got four placement teams in the east and the west, the top four teams in each conference playing seeding games, there isn't unlimited overtime. So what they will do there is they'll use regular season overtime and shootouts. They would put those games in the 4 o'clock spot, to try to make time if the first game of the day goes really long, or to give yourself a finite finish time so it can get to the evening game."
"The national hockey league has the ability to deem players unfit to play if they're at higher risk and they could get extremely ill if they were to contract the corona virus. ...Now team doctors and infectious disease experts that the national hockey league has hired would have to make a call on those players. Let's use Max Domi of the Montreal Canadiens and Kaapo Kakko of the New York Rangers as examples. Both of those players are type 1 diabetic. Both of those players have celiac disease. Now I'm not suggesting that NHL team doctors or an infectious disease expert doctor is going to say these guys are unfit to play, but they do need to go through that process."
This last one could affect Cory Conacher on his ability to join us in Phase 3 or 4.

At first thought, Conacher is not one of the top 12 forwards. So, No big deal. But it's unclear if there is a breach in the nhl's bubble and multiple players have to sit out and you need to dip into your reserve players, what that would be. We know we'll have at least Stephens, Verhaeghe, Volkov, and Joseph on hand. Conacher tops them all in experience and some of them in trust from the coaching staff to suit up for a playoff game.

Last edited:

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
NHLN is discussing the likelihood of offer sheets this summer. The Lightning are going to need someone to waive their NTC to keep the three RFAs in addition to trading Killorn.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
NHLN is discussing the likelihood of offer sheets this summer. The Lightning are going to need someone to waive their NTC to keep the three RFAs in addition to trading Killorn.

As far as I'm concerned, Joseph is a trade piece. I absolutely love him as a player but we done just got screwed by a flat cap here. It's not that I think Joseph is not a good player or even that he's going to cost a lot. It's more like our back is REALLY up against the wall this time and the $1 million or so Joseph would cost is better served going to a guy like Cirelli or Sergachev. Plus given how many small, speedy forwards we have on the team and in the prospect pool, I think we can afford to part with one.

Coleman and Goodrow were necessary expenditures even despite the price we paid for them. JBB would be wise to balance the loss of draft capital a little bit. Not as in "We gotta get our 1st rounders back" but more like a 3rd rounder here, a 4th rounder there. God knows that's where we find all our studs.

Doing some quick math I don't really see the need to HAVE TO retain Paquette (given that we have Goodrow now) nor Bogosian along with Joseph. A guy like Killorn may just be able to survive

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
As far as I'm concerned, Joseph is a trade piece. I absolutely love him as a player but we done just got screwed by a flat cap here. It's not that I think Joseph is not a good player or even that he's going to cost a lot. It's more like our back is REALLY up against the wall this time and the $1 million or so Joseph would cost is better served going to a guy like Cirelli or Sergachev. Plus given how many small, speedy forwards we have on the team and in the prospect pool, I think we can afford to part with one.

Coleman and Goodrow were necessary expenditures even despite the price we paid for them. JBB would be wise to balance the loss of draft capital a little bit. Not as in "We gotta get our 1st rounders back" but more like a 3rd rounder here, a 4th rounder there. God knows that's where we find all our studs.
Al Murray must be fed.

This year at least we're actually not too bad on the amount of picks. No first round choice of course, but a 2nd round pick, two 3rd round picks, two 4th round picks, no fifth round, two 6th round picks, and a seventh.

That seventh round YOLO will likely be an undersized forward, if recent TBL history is any indication.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The food at the MLS and NBA bubbles in Orlando are being compared to Fyre Fest fare, btw.

The PA could raise a last minute issue.

I however, am offended at the Fyre Fest comparison. These are local Orlando delicacies.

Last edited:

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Haven't seen it discussed here (didn't go back very far) but what are Bolts fans thoughts on the cap crunch you're facing this coming off season?

Any idea how Tampa is able to re-sign Cirelli, Sergachev and Cernak with only $5 million cap space?

From what I can tell every big ticket player has complete no trade protection except for Kucherov, Point and Vasilevskiy and then Killorn who's limited NTC allows him to block 16 teams starting this off season.

Do you foresee others like Johnson, Gourde, Palat or McDonough waiving despite not having to?

Just curious.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Haven't seen it discussed here (didn't go back very far) but what are Bolts fans thoughts on the cap crunch you're facing this coming off season?

Any idea how Tampa is able to re-sign Cirelli, Sergachev and Cernak with only $5 million cap space?

From what I can tell every big ticket player has complete no trade protection except for Kucherov, Point and Vasilevskiy and then Killorn who's limited NTC allows him to block 16 teams starting this off season.

Do you foresee others like Johnson, Gourde, Palat or McDonough waiving despite not having to?

Just curious.

I think they figure out something but they will have to lose a player or two. How that happens we don't know but they will be a good team as long as their core stays healthy.

Reactions: BurnEmUp

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Just curious.

Sergachev 2M, Cirelli 2M and Cernak 1M. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->