2019-20 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3: Uncharted

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This is very debatable. There could be lasting cardiovascular effects

So why not shut all sports down for 5 years so we can see if there actually are? Long-term effects are just that Long-term, you're not going to know about them for years down the line. You can't keep the league in a bubble for years till you find a vaccine or know the full health effects.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
So why not shut all sports down for 5 years so we can see if there actually are? Long-term effects are just that Long-term, you're not going to know about them for years down the line. You can't keep the league in a bubble for years till you find a vaccine or know the full health effects.

and who said we will get a vaccine ?

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I never said that. I said it’s crappy that our players got it as it might effect their cardio.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Why? It's better for them to get this now and have the antibodies. This isn't going away anytime soon so most likely these guys will get it at some point. The playoffs aren't starting for awhile and we don't play in the opening part, these guys will have had plenty of time to recover, if they even have symptoms, by getting it now.
New studies have shown, in small samples, that antibodies are only lasting 3-4 months in some people.

Will be interesting to see how guys recover - if someone does get severe symptoms, we're basically losing him the entire way and potentially into next season, as well. Scarring of the lungs, lengthy healing times, etc... I wouldn't be shocked if a player or two were forced into early retirement from this. Lung injuries take months to heal, if they do at all.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
New studies have shown, in small samples, that antibodies are only lasting 3-4 months in some people.

Will be interesting to see how guys recover - if someone does get severe symptoms, we're basically losing him the entire way and potentially into next season, as well. Scarring of the lungs, lengthy healing times, etc... I wouldn't be shocked if a player or two were forced into early retirement from this. Lung injuries take months to heal, if they do at all.

Everyone who gets it is effected differently but I would think professional athletes wouldn't be hit as hard. Two Juventus soccer players got it in early March when it first hit. One has played in a few games while the other has been an unused substitute. Obviously they got it 3 months ago and games didn't start again till less than a month ago. So there's a 2 month window they weren't playing, which would knock our players out a round or two, but they may have been ready to play right away. If there were any issues with health they wouldn't be training let alone playing.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Everyone who gets it is effected differently but I would think professional athletes wouldn't be hit as hard. Two Juventus soccer players got it in early March when it first hit. One has played in a few games while the other has been an unused substitute. Obviously they got it 3 months ago and games didn't start again till less than a month ago. So there's a 2 month window they weren't playing, which would knock our players out a round or two, but they may have been ready to play right away. If there were any issues with health they wouldn't be training let alone playing.
I get what you're saying but we have no guarantees on who gets it or how badly. This has the chance of being a huge issue for the league if something does happen to someone and they're forced into an early retirement, or god forbid, something worse.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I get what you're saying but we have no guarantees on who gets it or how badly. This has the chance of being a huge issue for the league if something does happen to someone and they're forced into an early retirement, or god forbid, something worse.

Why is this an issue for the NHL but not the Bundesliga, Serie A or English premiere league who have been up and running for at least a month? Korean baseball was being played in like April or May. Sure the US has more infections than those countries but they figured out a way to get sports back on track. They don't even operate in a bubble like the NHL wants, those teams play their games at their home stadium and travel for road ones.

Reactions: Shoresy Snipes

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Why is this an issue for the NHL but not the Bundesliga, Serie A or English premiere league who have been up and running for at least a month? Korean baseball was being played in like April or May. Sure the US has more infections than those countries but they figured out a way to get sports back on track. They don't even operate in a bubble like the NHL wants, those teams play their games at their home stadium and travel for road ones.
Well, because most of those countries are run by partial f*** ups, rather than complete f*** ups.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Really? Italy and the UK have more deaths per 1M people than the US.

Those places were also hit earlier with less time to prepare for a viral outbreak than the US who had plenty of forewarning and still failing miserably...... if it was the other way around the US numbers would be horrific.

Italy's situation has improved significantly and is on the cusps of normalcy with the UK and honestly most developed countries outside of the US not too far behind. Italy's timeline is only a month ahead of the US and they look nowhere close to the same progression, given bars have just shut down again, people are still fighting against masks, cases are sky-rocketing the minute anything public opens up not really seeing the light at the end of the tunnel down there.

Last edited:

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
The light at the end of the tunnel is when you catch the virus and beat it, otherwise you’re just waiting for the inevitable. Just have to hope it doesn’t mutate enough to reinfect at a high rate.

Reactions: HoseEmDown

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
The light at the end of the tunnel is when you catch the virus and beat it, otherwise you’re just waiting for the inevitable. Just have to hope it doesn’t mutate enough to reinfect at a high rate.
Latest research indicates that the antibodies may only last for 2 or 3 months : How Long Do Coronavirus Antibodies Last? Doctors Explain Immunity , plus viruses mutate.
Unless there is a universal adoption of masks in public, social distancing, and ability to test, trace, isolate everyone who test positive there will be no relief until there is a proven vaccine, and widespread use of it.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
The point is we are right in the middle of our cup window and this happens. Get these guys the Hell out of Florida! A few more positive tests and i can’t see our guys being good enough to win

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Latest research indicates that the antibodies may only last for 2 or 3 months : How Long Do Coronavirus Antibodies Last? Doctors Explain Immunity , plus viruses mutate.
Unless there is a universal adoption of masks in public, social distancing, and ability to test, trace, isolate everyone who test positive there will be no relief until there is a proven vaccine, and widespread use of it.
On the flip-side, it's looking like antibodies aren't the only way to have immunity.

Immunity to COVID-19 is probably higher than tests have shown

“One interesting observation was that it wasn’t just individuals with verified COVID-19 who showed T-cell immunity but also many of their exposed asymptomatic family members,” says Soo Aleman. “Moreover, roughly 30 per cent of the blood donors who’d given blood in May 2020 had COVID-19-specific T cells, a figure that’s much higher than previous antibody tests have shown.”

That would explain why cases have dropped precipitously in all the previous hot spots like NYC, Italy, Spain, etc. despite only finding antibodies in a small percentage of their population.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016

That’s my point. It’s going to be years before solid and proven information about the virus and ways to treat or vaccinate against it.

Til then, we just have to deal with it and we will all likely be infected, or at minimum, exposed to the virus.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Those places were also hit earlier with less time to prepare for a viral outbreak than the US who had plenty of forewarning and still failing miserably...... if it was the other way around the US numbers would be horrific.

Italy's situation has improved significantly and is on the cusps of normalcy with the UK and honestly most developed countries outside of the US not too far behind. Italy's timeline is only a month ahead of the US and they look nowhere close to the same progression, given bars have just shut down again people are still fighting against masks, cases are sky-rocketing the minute anything public opens up not really seeing the light at the end of the tunnel down there.
This is my biggest thing, normally I would look at it as a lot of over exaggerated panic. But the issue revolves around the mentality in the states which makes this more dangerous and infectious. Some how they made a pandemic and a disease a political statement which in turn has killed more American's in 6 months than the Iraq/Afghanistan war has in 10 years. The sheer level of incompetence from the Government all the way down to the citizens is mind boggling as an outsider looking in.

I don't know, maybe other non american's here can speak to their experience from their country and how the states is viewed. But I am with @Whoshattenkirkshoes in getting the players out of Florida sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Sky04

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This is my biggest thing, normally I would look at it as a lot of over exaggerated panic. But the issue revolves around the mentality in the states which makes this more dangerous and infectious. Some how they made a pandemic and a disease a political statement which in turn has killed more American's in 6 months than the Iraq/Afghanistan war has in 10 years. The sheer level of incompetence from the Government all the way down to the citizens is mind boggling as an outsider looking in.

I don't know, maybe other non american's here can speak to their experience from their country and how the states is viewed. But I am with @Whoshattenkirkshoes in getting the players out of Florida sooner rather than later.
The vast majority of people I see wear masks, but that's anecdotal to only me. Police protest crowds are also not spiking recorded cases, because they're also wearing masks.

I think economic inequality heightens the mechanics at play. The lowest paid people with the least support are the most essential workers, and they've got to be on the job, dealing with other people, while management can work from Zoom.

Some Americans are more likely to socially distance and wear face masks than others — here’s why

People who are aggressively 'hygiene is oppression' probably are lacking quite a bit of control over their lives, which seems to overlap more with lower income, rural communities.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

McKenzie notes that negotiations between the NHL and the NHLPA appear to have resulted in agreement on most issues on Phase 3/4 return to play, CBA extension and transition with a couple of items left to finalize today.

If there are no hiccups in finalizing the tentative agreement, NHLPA membership could be voting on return to play/CBA/transition/critical dates by Friday or Saturday.
According to TSN Senior Hockey Reporter Frank Seravalli, the NHL and the PA agreed on an interim extension on all expiring players contracts, as they would've expired at midnight. Contracts are extended pending completion of a new CBA and agreement on Phase 3 and 4. Part of the agreement is any player can choose to opt-out of return to play.

It is expected that players with contracts structured to receive signing bonuses will receive them as scheduled on July 1.

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
15 more nhl players tested positive on Monday? It seems to me there is it a chance the Lightning could have a handful of them?

one would have to think our positive players would have spread it to more.

Does anyone have any info on this? If the whole lightning team did get infected we are screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad