2019-20 Coaching Discussion: The Jon Cooper Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I have no idea what games you are watching but I can not count the number of times Heddy Mac and Satt have been burned when they have pinched in this year. It could well be that the O is not getting back covering for them as well that's sure possible. But thus far this year the team is giving up 3.47 GPG vs 2.7 GPG last year. Also the PK was a league leading 85% and this season so far is 76.7 21st in the league so yes overall defense has taken a hit so far. Like I said it could well be the O not covering as well for the D that have pinched. When you get into advanced stats you may be right that the chances given up are not as many high chance but what matters is the puck in the back of our net vs the number of times we put in the back of their net.

Now As I have posted before it looks to me like Coop is putting emphasis on the D scoring more that is all well and good but you still have to prevent the other team from scoring. Right now thru 17 games the team has allowed 59 goals or 3.47 GPG the entire season last year they gave up 221 goals or 2.7 GPG. So its one of two things Vasi is not a Vezna caliber goalie and last year was a fluke or TEAM D is worse now than last season. Right now the team is pacing to allow 284 goals 63 more than last year.

Adding Shat and subtracting two stay at home guys is going to add a few goals to the Blueline but at what cost. You may not agree and that is fine but I have played and watched this game for over 40 years. And have seen this happen over and over. There is a balance with Blueline scoring now days the days of Bourque, Coffee and Housley are over. A team now is far better off with a D guy that has triple the asst's to goals.

Shattenkirk is better in the d zone then G was

Luke Schenn is better in the D zone then G was

The team pinches in the offensive zone and always will.

The 6 man d unit is better then last year. I don’t get how people don’t see that

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Shattenkirk is better in the d zone then G was

Luke Schenn is better in the D zone then G was

The team pinches in the offensive zone and always will.

The 6 man d unit is better then last year. I don’t get how people don’t see that

hahaha no they aren't and I don't even like Girardi, what do you see? Cause I see we're bleeding goals against more this year with a "better 6 man unit."

Better names on paper doesn't mean squat, the defense last year yielded better results.

Reactions: The Macho Man

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
I think individual defense is overrated. What really counts is TEAM defense. I mean this team made it to the SCF with Matt Carle and Andrej Sustr. Now i'm not saying it doesn't matter, of course it does, but I think that a teams system has a bigger impact on success then an individual.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think individual defense is overrated. What really counts is TEAM defense. I mean this team made it to the SCF with Matt Carle and Andrej Sustr. Now i'm not saying it doesn't matter, of course it does, but I think that a teams system has a bigger impact on success then an individual.

And I dont think the "defensive system" has drastically changed in 4 months. Why would it have to? There was no glaring issue with last year's defense, the only thing that's changed is the personnel executing said system.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

And I dont think the "defensive system" has drastically changed in 4 months. Why would it have to? There was no glaring issue with last year's defense, the only thing that's changed is the personnel executing said system.

Both of these comments are right on, and depict what the team is experiencing. Last season with Girardi and Stralman the offense did not have to drop back into coverage in the attack end nearly as often than the team is doing this season. Coops system has not changed but the players in it has impacted the scheme of things. This has had a negative result on goals allowed and goals for. I would much more prefer this high octane offense to have the forwards attacking rather than the D guys. That is the big difference in the two teams now. How can one expect Kuch, Stammer, Johnny, Point to have numbers like last season if they are spending more time beyond the top of the circle in defense instead of attacking. This particularly effects the centermen and that effects the wings.

It is not my goal to say we should not have offensive D guys but there is a balance that is effective and right now we are over the line. I honestly think the problem is Shattenkirk's game not fitting into what we put on the ice each game. Now I have never been a fan of his and perhaps that does reflect in my opinion but the guy is playing for his career this year. I do not expect he will change his game so the rest are going to suffer for it. As for Schenn he has never lived up to his billing there is a reason he has been on 7 teams thru his career. He can be used as a call up but that is about his worth. The thing is next season neither of these guys will be on the roster here. If Shattenkirk has a good season which I fully expect he will get more money elsewhere and Schenn who cares they and Rutta are short term until Foote and company are ready perhaps a trade deadline decision will be made for Foote to come up and Schenn, Rutta or Shattenkirk be moved.

This is what Coop is dealing with the team is a little off in fit on the team and is effecting GS and GA. The team will make the playoffs thru the struggles. No 128 points this year but a little struggle at this time could be a good thing come playoff time. Not going in as the anointed ones like last year is a positive to make the players hungry post season. Everyone sees things differently for sure and this opinion could be just as wrong as anyones. But I do not see Coop on the hot seat unless he loses the room. And if he is fired I can not think of any coach out that's out of work I would prefer over Coop.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Mike “subtle interference” Babcock is exactly who cooper seems to be imitating while building the team and philosophy this year.
Or should it be mike “first round exit” babcock? Mike Bab “seems like you ran out of” clock? No? Ok.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This video came across my YouTube recommendations.

Ken Hitchcock with some insight. (start at 16:35, although you may be interested in the whole thing)

Reactions: Loki Dekker

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Boom. Cooper...on the clock. Dude is LOST. Team is broken and he has no idea how to fix it. JBB gave him a joke of an extension. Terrible front office move. The team is headed the wrong way. Does JBB have the balls to fix it? Status quo is NOT going to get it done.

Reactions: PJ817 and ultra63

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's a sad f***in day when your board even potentially looks forward to Mike Babcock as your new coach because the old one burned you out.

*Anxiously pours Crown and 7up*

For the good of my sanity Cooper you have to right the ship and start winning games. Please don't make me actually want Babcock here. I just want a Cup and I'm rationalizing

*Drinking intensifies*

God Babcock is so overrated

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
To be fair to Babcock, the leafs failure isn't completely on him. The defense that dubas assembled is abysmal.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
To be fair to Babcock, the leafs failure isn't completely on him. The defense that dubas assembled is abysmal.
Maybe Babs is an overrated coach.
But we've to say that Dubas is a dumb GM for sure. He's built the Maple Leafs in this way, with a terrible defense, with 50% of the salary cap for 3 players and with, for sure, a problem, next summer, considering the UFAs he'll have.
Good luck to Keefe. He needs it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Preds aren't doing too hot, and the fans are sort of thinking Lavi is losing the room in Smashville. Could he be a fit in TB?

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
The Preds aren't doing too hot, and the fans are sort of thinking Lavi is losing the room in Smashville. Could he be a fit in TB?
I remember when the Preds were at the top of their condition...they played an amazing hockey, imho. Speed, rapidity...I mean: a good hockey to watch.
I'm not sure if his system would work in the right way in the post season, after many games played.
But, in case of a big change, I'd be curious to see him with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad