2019-20 Coaching Discussion: The Jon Cooper Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The Preds aren't doing too hot, and the fans are sort of thinking Lavi is losing the room in Smashville. Could he be a fit in TB?
If we didn't have Coop and he was available, I'd hire him in a heart beat. Imo he's a heck of a coach and has taken 3 different teams to the Cup finals. I think most fans too would welcome his fiery demeanor to Coops even-keelness

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
This video came across my YouTube recommendations.

Ken Hitchcock with some insight. (start at 16:35, although you may be interested in the whole thing)

I am 35 going on 36. I am a millennial. I don’t often think of myself as one. I guess the stereotype bothers me.

Anyway, I thought that video was interesting (watched from your time stamp until the end). The gum. Being the player’s buddy. Relevant.

You know what I remember from those car rides home he talked about? I only remember the negatives. “You were slow” (soccer, any position, played them all), “You let them score; you just watched the ball go in” (soccer goalie, didn’t actually happen like that). Sure, my parents were supportive (and still are). They drove to Germany to watch me play in a tournament (we were living in Belgium). They drove to France. That tournament in Germany, coach sat me for the last game. Still don’t know why. That shit does stick with you (or at least it stuck with me over 20 years).

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I am 35 going on 36. I am a millennial. I don’t often think of myself as one. I guess the stereotype bothers me.

Anyway, I thought that video was interesting (watched from your time stamp until the end). The gum. Being the player’s buddy. Relevant.

You know what I remember from those car rides home he talked about? I only remember the negatives. “You were slow” (soccer, any position, played them all), “You let them score; you just watched the ball go in” (soccer goalie, didn’t actually happen like that). Sure, my parents were supportive (and still are). They drove to Germany to watch me play in a tournament (we were living in Belgium). They drove to France. That tournament in Germany, coach sat me for the last game. Still don’t know why. That **** does stick with you (or at least it stuck with me over 20 years).
Pretty soon we'll see videos on how to connect to Zoomers. Millennials are almost boomers now.

I remember the car rides too unfortunately.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
The only justification for Commodore's continued attacks would have to be something pretty extreme I'd think. Otherwise he should probably calm down a bit.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If we didn't have Coop and he was available, I'd hire him in a heart beat. Imo he's a heck of a coach and has taken 3 different teams to the Cup finals. I think most fans too would welcome his fiery demeanor to Coops even-keelness

Should hire Babcock he is what this organization needs right now to light a fire in this team! ugh cooper is so bad he is making me want babcock over him! well lol babcock did take a broken down old redwings team 7 games vs the lightning in 2015 in the first round.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
If Laviolette were to become available we should absolutely pull the trigger.

Also, do people really think Babcock is the man or are they just looking for a change? Personally, I’m not a fan.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Should hire Babcock he is what this organization needs right now to light a fire in this team! ugh cooper is so bad he is making me want babcock over him! well lol babcock did take a broken down old redwings team 7 games vs the lightning in 2015 in the first round.
Idk, I don’t really like the way the Leafs played under him and I don’t see how he could help us get over the playoff hump. With Babs I feel like it would be a change strictly to get fresh air in the room and send a message to the players. And sometimes that can spark a group and turn them around alone. But you mention the 2015 red wings and that to me is the better fit for a Babcock team. That rough and tough grinding team. We don’t have that. If anything were closer in style and personnel to what he failed with in Toronto.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If Laviolette were to become available we should absolutely pull the trigger.

Also, do people really think Babcock is the man or are they just looking for a change? Personally, I’m not a fan.

I don't really like babcock but he is a better coach then cooper but I was pissed last year when Q went to the panthers! that was the guy we needed!

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
There is one determining factor that gets most coaches fired.; If the players turn on the coach hes done. I am not sold that has happened here. All coaches do have a shelf life however well unless your name is Scotty Bowman. Whats a kick in the head is that teams fire a coach with no better plan. Babcock is not a good plan nor would Laviolett.

If people are just looking for a change they should consider Lindy Ruff. He is a coach players like but has never had a cup challenging team yet he amassed 483 wins 17th all time in NHL history. And he did this with a Buffalo team that sold off all their talent when he first got there due to owners bankruptcy. Then he had a pitiful Dallas team. Babcock won cups in Detroit when they could sign all the players they wanted without a cap. When the Cap came in his success was over a couple years later. He is a control freak and Toronto ate him alive and his players quit on him.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
There is one determining factor that gets most coaches fired.; If the players turn on the coach hes done. I am not sold that has happened here. All coaches do have a shelf life however well unless your name is Scotty Bowman. Whats a kick in the head is that teams fire a coach with no better plan. Babcock is not a good plan nor would Laviolett.

If people are just looking for a change they should consider Lindy Ruff. He is a coach players like but has never had a cup challenging team yet he amassed 483 wins 17th all time in NHL history. And he did this with a Buffalo team that sold off all their talent when he first got there due to owners bankruptcy. Then he had a pitiful Dallas team. Babcock won cups in Detroit when they could sign all the players they wanted without a cap. When the Cap came in his success was over a couple years later. He is a control freak and Toronto ate him alive and his players quit on him.

Why Lindy Ruff ? why not Jeff Halpren or Todd Richards ?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I remember when Boucher was fired and the team was allegedly considering Ruff. Consensus around here was: "Oh please god, no". He's currently an assistant coach for the Rangers.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I remember when Boucher was fired and the team was allegedly considering Ruff. Consensus around here was: "Oh please god, no". He's currently an assistant coach for the Rangers.

ranger fans hate ruff they already want him gone lol. Cooper your on the clock you better turn this ship around. Babcock is waiting for your job and so is our Ahl coach.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Lmao imagine thinking Babcock would be the answer. Babcock and Cooper are the same, Babcock only has a bigger ego

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Didn’t they shake hands during regular season last year and Cooper said Babs was a huge help for him and they talk a lot? IIRC that is. Either way I don’t think Babcock is the answer.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Didn’t they shake hands during regular season last year and Cooper said Babs was a huge help for him and they talk a lot? IIRC that is. Either way I don’t think Babcock is the answer.

Well I already know Cooper is not the answer. But I think babcock is not the answer but I could be wrong he might be the guy we need a hard coach instead of a soft coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad