2019-20 Coaching Discussion: The Jon Cooper Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Some really interesting interviews with Hedman and Stamkos during the global series. Stammer got a question about when he spoke out earlier this season and he talked a bit about it. He said that he have experienced different kind of leaders (as in players/captains), the quiet ones who lead by example and the more vocal ones. He wants to be something in between and that he is still learning in terms of leading. Also he spoke up because the player's had to work harder in his opinion (as a group)

Hedman said they are trying to find a balance in their game, which is why they've been struggling a bit. Still keep their game and what makes them good but to also handle a more defensive game. He thought they had made good progress though.

My reading into these interviews are that they are keen to improve, the talk some fans have made up about Cooper having lost the locker room really feels made up.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Some really interesting interviews with Hedman and Stamkos during the global series. Stammer got a question about when he spoke out earlier this season and he talked a bit about it. He said that he have experienced different kind of leaders (as in players/captains), the quiet ones who lead by example and the more vocal ones. He wants to be something in between and that he is still learning in terms of leading. Also he spoke up because the player's had to work harder in his opinion (as a group)

Hedman said they are trying to find a balance in their game, which is why they've been struggling a bit. Still keep their game and what makes them good but to also handle a more defensive game. He thought they had made good progress though.

My reading into these interviews are that they are keen to improve, the talk some fans have made up about Cooper having lost the locker room really feels made up.

I'll readily admit to being one of them. If you're cooking crow I'll gladly have some to eat right now.

Less made up as much as I have no idea what to make of this team and its relationship with Cooper. You have Stamkos just suddenly popping off after the Carolina loss when he's always quiet, poor play on the ice, a new system not everyone was buying into readily, a lot of frustrated body language and losing. After a sweep the year prior it felt like the wheels just finally fell off the wagon.

I can't say I'm happy with how the year has played out but I am convinced that Jon Cooper may be descended from Houdini

Last edited:
Reactions: Maelmoor

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I'll readily admit to being one of them. If you're cooking crow I'll gladly have some to eat right now.

Less made up as much as I have no idea what to make of this team and its relationship with Cooper. You have Stamkos just suddenly popping off after the Carolina loss when he's always quiet, poor play on the ice, a new system not everyone was buying into readily into, a lot of frustrated body language and losing. After a sweep the year prior it felt like the wheels just finally fell off the wagon.

I can't say I'm happy with how the year has played out but I am convinced that Jon Cooper may be descended from Houdini
So you’re saying, if someone were to punch Coop in the stomach before he’s ready...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

The Buffalo games looked balanced. It wasn't an all out trap game, or total chip and chase hockey, but it also wasn't free wheeling hockey. The first game in particular felt very controlled. We had a number of scoring chances while limiting Buffalo to, I think, 12 scoring chances, and only about half of those were dangerous.

The tough part, of course, is finding consistency. It's one thing to beat the same team in back-to-back games, and it's another to implement the strategy successfully against teams good and bad, night after night, and win a lot more than we lose.

It's been a roller coaster so far.

Reactions: Maelmoor

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
The Buffalo games looked balanced. It wasn't an all out trap game, or total chip and chase hockey, but it also wasn't free wheeling hockey. The first game in particular felt very controlled. We had a number of scoring chances while limiting Buffalo to, I think, 12 scoring chances, and only about half of those were dangerous.

The tough part, of course, is finding consistency. It's one thing to beat the same team in back-to-back games, and it's another to implement the strategy successfully against teams good and bad, night after night, and win a lot more than we lose.

It's been a roller coaster so far.

Yep, I definitely agree that consistency is the difficult part, which Hedman also implied as the reason for the struggles so far. I hope that can improve as the season proceeds but I'm expecting some bumps along the road.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
He might somehow make his gum disappear without swallowing it or spitting it out. It's friggin weird man
Not sure if you got where I was going. Or you did and you twisted it and I am the one who didn’t get it.
Many here want a coaching change (I’m not there yet). Houdini died from a gut punch (at least that’s the rumor).

Choking to death on gum would yield the same result though

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Too early yet Todd. Had we gotten swept in Sweden this would be justified.

All the Lightning have to do is win their games in hand and we're 2nd place in the division. That's doable considering we have the Jets and Rangers coming up next. Not only did we have a bunch of stinkers but every team in the East not named NYI, WSH and BOS are having them left right and center too. Especially Carolina. The fact we are so far down the standings has as much to do with the fact that we're simply not playing any games as anything else. Cooper is rightfully on the hot seat with us and had we completely botched this trip to Sweden like I had feared (and thank God I was wrong) I think asking the question of his replacement would be warranted as I said in the 2nd sentence. But that's not what happened. We not only won, we won convincingly against a team that's quite frankly not as good as it thinks it is as we should. I think it was Macho who called them paper tigers and it's spot on when talking about Buffalo right now. At worst we are in prime position to control our destiny and we played like we SHOULD have.

It's no excuse for the fact we've been playing like total **** on and off all season but the last 2 games looked like we MIGHT have turned the page. Better now than waiting to be last place in January and end up missing the playoffs by a point despite playing like .800 hockey the rest of the season like we did 3 years ago.

Ya but if we lose to both the Rangers and the Jets then what will you think ? 2 wins in sweden vs the same team buffalo I'm not buying it yet that things have turned around.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Can we trademark the “sweep hangover”? But credit where it’s due the Lightning looked a lot better against a hot Buffalo team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ya but if we lose to both the Rangers and the Jets then what will you think ? 2 wins in sweden vs the same team buffalo I'm not buying it yet that things have turned around.

It's not set in stone yet, obviously. But I don't think you can ignore the positives and only pay attention to the negatives. It was a very positive trip.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
is buffalo really for real or have they cooled off ?
Buffalo is for real. The Bolts did a good job controlling Eichel and Skinner and took advantage of their young defense. But we can not hang our hats on those two games. Coop has to get the stars producing at a higher level to free up more secondary scoring. And for goodness sake keep Gourdes minutes up. He makes any line he is on better. I hate to see him on the 4th line but he has that line rolling. Kuch and Stammer need to be the threat they are but for some reason they are not finishing right now. They both could have huge numbers if some of there misses had found the make but as of right now they are point a game guys whereas last year at this point they were far above it. The tide will turn now IMO 15 games in and really only 4 home games. I fully expect points to start piling up in until the first of the year. So many hoime games and so much opportunity to practice on home ice. Only two away games left in Nov and only three the whole month of Dec. Its time to catch Boston and the Metro.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The last two games were definitely a start in the right direction. Maybe the bye week helped them sort some things together. Things look a little more manageable now. Keep playing to their ability and the team should make the playoffs. Thats all that really matters at this point and then we can worry about how they are going to play when/if they get there.

Reactions: T REX

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The last two games were definitely a start in the right direction. Maybe the bye week helped them sort some things together. Things look a little more manageable now. Keep playing to their ability and the team should make the playoffs. Thats all that really matters at this point and then we can worry about how they are going to play when/if they get there.

We'll have to see it against a few more teams, but yeah, it's a start. We played similarly against Boston and in the Nashville loss.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We'll have to see it against a few more teams, but yeah, it's a start. We played similarly against Boston and in the Nashville loss.

I think overall we have played pretty well vs good teams. Even in the Islanders loss I thought we played ok. Need to be better vs the teams that we should beat. The losses to Ottawa and the Rangers were embarrassing. We shouldnt look that bad vs those teams.

Reactions: Loki Dekker

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I think overall we have played pretty well vs good teams. Even in the Islanders loss I thought we played ok. Need to be better vs the teams that we should beat. The losses to Ottawa and the Rangers were embarrassing. We shouldnt look that bad vs those teams.

yep, I can live with that type of loss against the Isles, not perfect but some effort was there at least. It's those games when the team looks completely passive that make people lose their minds, and guess what it's almost always against those"inferior" teams. This group has been too complacent under Cooper & such self-admiration is a big flaw at this level of competition.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Can we trademark the “sweep hangover”? But credit where it’s due the Lightning looked a lot better against a hot Buffalo team.

You're thinking of October.... Buffalo was 2-3-1 going into this series including 3 straight games before this where they scored 1 goal or less...

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
well prove me wrong cooper and lets see how he performs in the playoffs a 1st round exit and he needs to be gone!
we all pray that this team simply overcomes all obstacles :::: injuries whatever even a coach issue... This team has enough to win ..... they just got it to do:) as coop likes to say "I like our chances." I really believe start of season 4 game sweep etc.. its all gone now they gonna dominate most of the time....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad