2019-20 Carabao Cup

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
You can’t field just your u23. They need some veterans to help hold the structure and do some of the work.

I feel they should try in every match they play, but if they went out of the Carabao, so be it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You can’t field just your u23. They need some veterans to help hold the structure and do some of the work.

I feel they should try in every match they play, but if they went out of the Carabao, so be it.
Yeah of course, Lijnders goes into detail on this in his pre-game press conference actually. Create insulated environments on the pitch for young players to allow them room to make mistakes, to learn and to grow. There's still really no better substitute for senior experience than these kinds of games with the first team though. Liverpool have enough fringe first teamers to accomplish this until the later rounds.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I mean, I don't think it's anything to be upset about. I just think that framing this as fixture congestion when you're mostly using players who aren't playing in the CL/EPL is silly. For example, I don't think Arsenal is worried about fixture congestion for Ozil or Smith-Rowe or Martinelli or even Nelson and Willock. It also gave Tierney/Holding/Bellerin some game time, which is a plus. I'd be perfectly happy if Arsenal ran the following out against Liverpool, and wouldn't be even slightly concerned about fixture congestion for any of them, assuming the backline trio is still not fully fit:

Martinelli
Nelson - Ozil - Smith-Rowe
Burton - Willock
Tierney - Mavropanos - Holding - Bellerin
Martinez​

Have John-Jules, Balogun, AMN, Medley, Macey, Bola, and pickamidfielder on the bench.

Willock should play every Premier League game, but since he probably won't I would love exactly that lineup, and I would probably go with Sokratis or Luiz ahead of Mavropanos just to give us a higher chance of winning.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Well yes, I agree. But how much is Lallana actually playing? Or Ox right now? Or Lovren/Gomez? Or Keita? They don't need to go a full 90 but game fitness is important too.

I agree that the Carabao isn't a big deal, but I think people discount it as a place for development and worry too much about fixture congestion for players that aren't really playing.
Yeah of course, Lijnders goes into detail on this in his pre-game press conference actually. Create insulated environments on the pitch for young players to allow them room to make mistakes, to learn and to grow. There's still really no better substitute for senior experience than these kinds of games with the first team though. Liverpool have enough fringe first teamers to accomplish this until the later rounds.
Exactly. Or even into the later rounds because the Carabao isn't a huge deal

Reactions: YNWA14

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They might not be playing, but if one of your starting 11 pulls up lame in training or takes a knock in a match, you might have just used a guy to go 90 who you might have thought to brought on.

It isn’t the end of the world, and depth is a good thing, but the competition is a net negative for Liverpool

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
They might not be playing, but if one of your starting 11 pulls up lame in training or takes a knock in a match, you might have just used a guy to go 90 who you might have thought to brought on.

It isn’t the end of the world, and depth is a good thing, but the competition is a net negative for Liverpool

Yes, but by that logic they shouldn't try in the carabao cup, FA cup, or club world cup.

Yea sure if Wij pulls up with a hamstring injury in a PL game your sub options might be moderately affected by guys you used 4 days earlier, but again, if your players can't deal with playing 90 minutes on Wednesday and then a sub appearance on Saturday, they shouldn't be professionals.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yes, but by that logic they shouldn't try in the carabao cup, FA cup, or club world cup.

Yea sure if Wij pulls up with a hamstring injury in a PL game your sub options might be moderately affected by guys you used 4 days earlier, but again, if your players can't deal with playing 90 minutes on Wednesday and then a sub appearance on Saturday, they shouldn't be professionals.
Honestly, pick either the Champions League or the PL. Don't want to risk a guy getting hurt on a wednesday if you want to play him Sunday

Reactions: robertmac43

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

So yeah, Liverpool will be getting a fine for fielding an ineligible player and nothing really more to see.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Would make sense if the cups had the same governing bodies. Precedent was set before with fines.

Reactions: bluesfan94

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Here we go.

bdSk9N-s

iB3CfHP3

Liverpool are going to be in tough for this one. Vast experience advantage in the Arsenal team, especially at the back. Though it will be good to see Brewster and Elliott against what is essentially a top 6 starting backline and defensive midfield (Torreira, who hilariously can't get into the starting XI over Xhaka).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Martinelli starting in the middle is always fun, also happy to see Ozil get some minutes finally. I have been.

Ox will score this game, because it just makes sense.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Didn't even realize it but Chirivella on the bench; last minute insurance policy in case we're winning in the 90th minute I guess. :sarcasm:
Martinelli starting in the middle is always fun, also happy to see Ozil get some minutes finally. I have been.

Ox will score this game, because it just makes sense.
I'm definitely interested to see how Liverpool cope with this Arsenal squad because IMO it looks like a top half PL team overall. Maitland-Niles and Willock have played a bunch and not looked out of place this season and Martinelli/Saka have lit up Europa League. It could get ugly against that really inexperienced Liverpool defence/keeper.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Williams with a beauty ball already that Ox really should have done better with.

Harvey Elliott just has the composure and game-intelligence of a vet. Not the best finisher though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
BREWSTER (maybe Mustafi own goal)!

What a ball from Neco Williams AGAIN. Ox did much better this time.

Reactions: Savant

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
They should keep targeting Mustafi he looks pretty unsettled early.

Ugh. Ox really needed a better touch there he had so much time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad