2019-20 Carabao Cup

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
I can tell you, without any single doubt whatsoever, that none of them will ever come close to Ballon d'Or much less some of them.

Saka and Martinelli has potential to be among the best offensive players in the world and that is pretty obvious to everyone who understands football. Martinelli being the brazilian Messi.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Saka and Martinelli has potential to be among the best offensive players in the world and that is pretty obvious to everyone who understands football. Martinelli being the brazilian Messi.

This kind of thing, I don’t even know. They have that potential based on what? Players like Joao Felix, de Jong, Mbappe, are out there dominating men’s leagues. Not by scoring against Nottingham Forest.

There are players like Vinicius Jr. who are better than those players you mentioned but will never come near Ballon d’Or. A players potential should never be judged until they’ve played around a full season of games. If the manager won’t play them every game then it takes even longer to know their actual potential.

People thought Rashford would be like Ronaldo after ten games, but it turns out that’s definitely not going to happen. We see it all the time. If you show me them playing great all the time when they play great teams, then I can believe it.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
This kind of thing, I don’t even know. They have that potential based on what? Players like Joao Felix, de Jong, Mbappe, are out there dominating men’s leagues. Not by scoring against Nottingham Forest.

I do agree with you on the whole, but there are players out there who are absolutely world class without being superstars at 18 or 20.

Salah was very good, but nowhere near the superstar and world class forward he is today at 23-24 years old at Roma.
VVD was in Southampton at 25.
Modric only arrived to Madrid at 27.
KDB was promising and very good at 24 in Wolfsburg, but I don't think that many people saw him evolving into the midfielder he is today.

Regardless of those players being "that good" before they transferred, they only got recognition as truly world class footballers once the trophies and CL runs came in.

Also, Vini Jr. is so raw it's really hard to tell if he'll bomb out or end up a perennial Ballon candidate in 4-5 years time.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

There are players like Vinicius Jr. who are better than those players you mentioned but will never come near Ballon d’Or. A players potential should never be judged until they’ve played around a full season of games. If the manager won’t play them every game then it takes even longer to know their actual potential.

People thought Rashford would be like Ronaldo after ten games, but it turns out that’s definitely not going to happen. We see it all the time. If you show me them playing great all the time when they play great teams, then I can believe it.
Oh good. I’m just glad we don’t have to hear about Brewster, Elliott, Jones, or the Dutch backs anymore.

But mate. You might be on the wrong website if you aren’t willing to discuss potential.

Anyway, Saka just turned 18 at the start of this month. When De Jong was that age, he was loaned to Willem II, where he mostly didn't play, and then played for Jong Ajax. He also played 20 minutes of an Eredivisie game. Felix was in a lower league. Nottingham Forest is better than some teams in that league, according to this: Global Club Soccer Rankings Of course, Saka also netted and had two assists against Eintracht, although I will admit the goal and an assist came when they were down to ten men. For what it's worth, Eintracht is 37th in that list, behind only Porto and Benfica when it comes to Portuguese teams.

Now, I'm not saying that Saka is going to be Ballon D'Or worthy, but he has a ton of potential

Last edited:

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I don't see what was wrong with what LITN said.

I mean I would be extremely happy if one of the Arsenal prospects even reaches close to getting Ballon D'or let alone two.

Reactions: bluesfan94

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Never talk about trophies with an Arsenal fan when you support Liverpool, don’t mock Arsenal until you win a Premier League. Maybe it can go next to the golden invincible trophy?

Are we really doing this again? You think that top flight football was invented with the PL? Liverpool have more top flight titles than Arsenal, and I mean, we don't even need to talk about Europe (again).

Arsenal also played more youth players, and they did so much better. Liverpool doesn’t have any prospect who looks like they have the potential of Martinelli, Smith-Rowe, Nelson, Willock or Saka, and you could throw in the likes of Guendouzi, Balogun, Saliba and Nketiah there too, although the last two obviously will not be playing.

What do you know about Liverpool's youth players or 'prospects'?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don't see what was wrong with what LITN said.

I mean I would be extremely happy if one of the Arsenal prospects even reaches close to getting Ballon D'or let alone two.
I agree with the second sentence. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to discuss potential, especially because literally every other fanbase has discussed potential about some players (Brewster is going to provide cover and be a star; Elliott might be even better! Have you heard of Mason Mount?! Daniel James is a Welsh God! Troy Parrott is going to fix us, etc etc etc). And it's not like this is a new phenomenon. I remember when Ojo was the next big thing, right after Ibe. Or Lingard. Or Januzaj. Bielik was supposed to be our starting CB by now, next to Chambers, with Zelalem bossing the midfield. Let fanbases be excited.

It's only been a problem when certain Arsenal supporters do it.

Reactions: phisherman

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Are we really doing this again? You think that top flight football was invented with the PL? Liverpool have more top flight titles than Arsenal, and I mean, we don't even need to talk about Europe (again).

What do you know about Liverpool's youth players or 'prospects'?

I know it is all in the past so the year should not really matter, but considering Arsenal were better than Liverpool pretty much non stop without exeption for the last 35 years before 2017, and that almost all of Liverpools success was before probably both of us were born Liverpool really should not be having such a superiority complex.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't think anyone has a problem with people discussing prospects (even if some people whine about it here and there). I think it's more the approach, no? Either way I don't agree with LITN's post because there are many ways to evaluate potential and a player can have potential that they never make good on for various reasons, etc. I think it's more like having potential doesn't guarantee a superstar there are many factors that need to align INCLUDING not least of which is opportunity.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I know it is all in the past so the year should not really matter, but considering Arsenal were better than Liverpool pretty much non stop without exeption for the last 35 years before 2017, and that almost all of Liverpools success was before probably both of us were born Liverpool really should not be having such a superiority complex.
What is the arbitrary point of reference we're using where the past is no longer admissible? In the last 6 seasons (arbitrary example) Liverpool have finished ahead of Arsenal 4 times (the last 3 years in a row even, and almost assuredly this year as well), including winning the CL (something, again, Arsenal has never done), losing a CL final and setting an historic season in the PL. Given the way that you approach people in general do you really think you have a moral high ground when discussing a 'superiority complex'? I'm glad at least that you chose to ignore the question about Liverpool's youth.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Harvey Elliott looks much, much older than his age. Just really confident on the ball. He’s going to be a player.

Reactions: YNWA14

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't think anyone has a problem with people discussing prospects (even if some people whine about it here and there). I think it's more the approach, no? Either way I don't agree with LITN's post because there are many ways to evaluate potential and a player can have potential that they never make good on for various reasons, etc. I think it's more like having potential doesn't guarantee a superstar there are many factors that need to align INCLUDING not least of which is opportunity.
Its really just the hyperbole and the certainty when some discuss prospects that gets annoying.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
What is the arbitrary point of reference we're using where the past is no longer admissible? In the last 6 seasons (arbitrary example) Liverpool have finished ahead of Arsenal 4 times (the last 3 years in a row even, and almost assuredly this year as well), including winning the CL (something, again, Arsenal has never done), losing a CL final and setting an historic season in the PL. Given the way that you approach people in general do you really think you have a moral high ground when discussing a 'superiority complex'? I'm glad at least that you chose to ignore the question about Liverpool's youth.

To answer the question about Liverpools youth, statistically their youngsters have been very poor at youth level, and they do not have any real talked about prospects. I have seen a bit of them, and from what I have seen they look very average, nothing close to Arsenal’s or Chelsea’s youth.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I agree with the second sentence. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to discuss potential, especially because literally every other fanbase has discussed potential about some players (Brewster is going to provide cover and be a star; Elliott might be even better! Have you heard of Mason Mount?! Daniel James is a Welsh God! Troy Parrott is going to fix us, etc etc etc). And it's not like this is a new phenomenon. I remember when Ojo was the next big thing, right after Ibe. Or Lingard. Or Januzaj. Bielik was supposed to be our starting CB by now, next to Chambers, with Zelalem bossing the midfield. Let fanbases be excited.

Oh I agree which is why I keep making fake mockery statements about our prospects. I just think the two posters are way too overexcited about our prospects. I also think the ones that dismiss the Arsenal prospects have no idea what they're talking about as well.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Its really just the hyperbole and the certainty when some discuss prospects that gets annoying.

That's what I'm talking about.

Yeah I thought Ibe sucked though. Said it many times. I think around game 10 was when I realized he would never be anything of value. Which is all I'm trying to say here. People need to watch these players so much more before judging.

Mount is the only one of those people actually waited a long time to judge. I think he's played 91 senior games now.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That's what I'm talking about.

Yeah I thought Ibe sucked though. Said it many times. I think around game 10 was when I realized he would never be anything of value. Which is all I'm trying to say here. People need to watch these players so much more before judging.

Mount is the only one of those people actually waited a long time to judge. I think he's played 91 senior games now.

I mean, there are plenty of examples of prospects that people 'knew' would be good and actually turned out great. Hindsight is 20/20 or whatever. If you're waiting for someone to become a good player before you say they're a good player that's not really showing much in terms of projection, analysis or scouting. You don't have to wait until someone has played a bunch of senior games to project their talent. Sometimes you're just wrong in what you think (for clarification, that's a general 'you' meaning it's easy to project wrong on prospects; the professional scouts and best scouts in the world do it all the time).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad