2019-20 Carabao Cup

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I hope they get kicked out of that trash cup.

Sunderland did the same thing and only got fined for the record, so that’s what will probably happen. Fine will probably be more than 300 though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There’s already precedent for this. It’ll be a fine at worst. Love the shade over a nothing charge lol. Anyway I want Liverpool to play a lot of games to give the kids more opportunities so yeah.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
There’s already precedent for this. It’ll be a fine at worst. Love the shade over a nothing charge lol. Anyway I want Liverpool to play a lot of games to give the kids more opportunities so yeah.
Screwing over Franchise FC should earn them praise from football fans around the world. That lot deserves any bad thing that happens to them.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Until late in the Cup....injuries happen and there are only so many reserves.
But they aren't late in the cup. Right now all going out would do is cost some reserves and some out of form first teamers some minutes. There's no rule that says you have to play your first team late in the cup either.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If they get kicked out who in the club loses sleep? Less fixture congestion through November/December is not a terrible thing.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
But they aren't late in the cup. Right now all going out would do is cost some reserves and some out of form first teamers some minutes. There's no rule that says you have to play your first team late in the cup either.

ok thanks for the things we knew already. ;)

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
If they get kicked out who in the club loses sleep? Less fixture congestion through November/December is not a terrible thing.
I mean, I don't think it's anything to be upset about. I just think that framing this as fixture congestion when you're mostly using players who aren't playing in the CL/EPL is silly. For example, I don't think Arsenal is worried about fixture congestion for Ozil or Smith-Rowe or Martinelli or even Nelson and Willock. It also gave Tierney/Holding/Bellerin some game time, which is a plus. I'd be perfectly happy if Arsenal ran the following out against Liverpool, and wouldn't be even slightly concerned about fixture congestion for any of them, assuming the backline trio is still not fully fit:

Martinelli
Nelson - Ozil - Smith-Rowe
Burton - Willock
Tierney - Mavropanos - Holding - Bellerin
Martinez​

Have John-Jules, Balogun, AMN, Medley, Macey, Bola, and pickamidfielder on the bench.

Reactions: AB13

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I mean, I don't think it's anything to be upset about. I just think that framing this as fixture congestion when you're mostly using players who aren't playing in the CL/EPL is silly. For example, I don't think Arsenal is worried about fixture congestion for Ozil or Smith-Rowe or Martinelli or even Nelson and Willock. It also gave Tierney/Holding/Bellerin some game time, which is a plus. I'd be perfectly happy if Arsenal ran the following out against Liverpool, and wouldn't be even slightly concerned about fixture congestion for any of them, assuming the backline trio is still not fully fit:

Martinelli
Nelson - Ozil - Smith-Rowe
Burton - Willock
Tierney - Mavropanos - Holding - Bellerin
Martinez​

Have John-Jules, Balogun, AMN, Medley, Macey, Bola, and pickamidfielder on the bench.

For Liverpool I would just be more concerned about the extra game to get prepped for, the travel, basically all the little things like that. It's just not worth the bother when you are going to need to be fully focused for the weekends and mid week games of other competitions.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, it's not all first teamers, but it still is players who he might rather prepare for the EPL matchup or the CL tie, rather than setting them up for a who cares match.

If Milner, Ox, Keita, Gomez get hurt, Liverpool are objectively weaker. Not being able to pick them for the bench (or having them at full fitness) for the weekend is a problem.

Reactions: robertmac43

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I mean, it's not all first teamers, but it still is players who he might rather prepare for the EPL matchup or the CL tie, rather than setting them up for a who cares match.

If Milner, Ox, Keita, Gomez get hurt, Liverpool are objectively weaker. Not being able to pick them for the bench (or having them at full fitness) for the weekend is a problem.
I don't wanna be glib, but then don't select Milner, Ox, Keith, or Gomez. Don't play any of your first 20 or so players. For Arsenal, that would mean sitting Nelson and Willock and instead starting, say, Balogun and whomever. It shouldn't be that hard to find 11 players you're not planning on playing that weekend.

If Liverpool want to go out of the competition and not risk injuries, they're always free to field their U21 squad and not pay any attention....
Exactly. And it's actually good experience for that squad. Playing against other u23s (or what have you) is all well and good but I would much rather play against a Championship side. Perhaps it's just me.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

This is the sentiment I was going for with my earlier post.

I can totally see why Arsenal may benefit more from the competition, as they are trying to keep players engaged and figure out what they have in some of the younger players.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Nah, Liverpool should be aiming to win every game regardless of the competition and extra games means more first team experience for guys like Brewster, Elliott, Hoever, Larouci, Jones and others on the cusp of senior football. I've never understood being apathetic toward your team losing. In the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world but as a supporter I want to see my team win every game and every available trophy.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
We know the real reason Liverpool is trying to purposely get kicked out.

They're scared of losing to the MIGHTY ARSENAL!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad