Speculation: 2019-20 Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011
Is Terry really all that valuable to us right now if he NEEDS other players in order to be good? Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favorite prospects and I want to see him become a mainstay in our lineup, but at this point in time I'd rather have Sprong getting his NHL minutes.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Is Terry really all that valuable to us right now if he NEEDS other players in order to be good? Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favorite prospects and I want to see him become a mainstay in our lineup, but at this point in time I'd rather have Sprong getting his NHL minutes.
The only thing sprong has over Terry is shooting.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I am reading a lot about how creative and good Troy Terry is. Also, I hear that Nick Ritchie is terrible. I watch the games and see something different. So I decided to do some simple math.

Nick Ritchie age 23 250 games 36 goals 56 assists 92 points +10
Troy Terry age 22 39 games 4 goals 9 assists 13 points +7

Goals per game-Ritchie 0.144 Terry 0.103
Assists per game-Ritchie 0.224 Terry 0.230
Points per game-Ritchie 0.368 Terry 0.333

Ritchie scores goals and points at a higher rate than Terry. Terry assists at a slightly higher rate. Ritchie is one year older. But the narrative on this board is primarily that Ritchie is garbage and Terry is a great prospect. What gives?
I think effort is the answer. There are times that Ritchie is clearly floating, and he has the reputation of having into camp his first few years being out of shape and overweight. Terry is pretty clearly always trying. I think Ritchie’s ability to score goals in tight is greatly under appreciated, but I also feel like the people who expect a playmaking wing to score a lot of goals would have been surprised if Getzlaf in his prime had been stuck with two plugs and couldn’t manage more than 20G/50P.

I feel like the RC non-firing did more damage to Ritchie than anyone else on the team. He was clearly a different player at the start of last season than he’s been before or since. Hopefully he can be that guy again.

Reactions: Paul4587

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Whatever happens, they need to leave Sprong in SD. He isn't a savior to a cup season and this is his last best chance to learn what he should have learned before the Pens messed him up. Call him up now he will have not had time to learn anything and chances are he will not pass thru waivers next time. We need to be patient with him unless we are flat out giving up on him.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Whatever happens, they need to leave Sprong in SD. He isn't a savior to a cup season and this is his last best chance to learn what he should have learned before the Pens messed him up. Call him up now he will have not had time to learn anything and chances are he will not pass thru waivers next time. We need to be patient with him unless we are flat out giving up on him.
Yeah, this is a developmental year. Especially if Getzlaf is actually too injured to be a top line guy. Keep ALL the prospects in whichever league they need to be in to properly develop, instill a better culture, and don’t make short-sighted decisions to make a minimal difference this year. I’m happy enough watching them play motivated again. Don’t waste assets for no reason, this isn’t the year for the Cup.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
We will see if a losing streak starts now or if we can remain competitive. The next 8 games are all with playoff bound teams (Buffalo not so much but they are off to a good start).

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We shot ourselves in the foot against a team we can't against today.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I think effort is the answer. There are times that Ritchie is clearly floating, and he has the reputation of having into camp his first few years being out of shape and overweight. Terry is pretty clearly always trying. I think Ritchie’s ability to score goals in tight is greatly under appreciated, but I also feel like the people who expect a playmaking wing to score a lot of goals would have been surprised if Getzlaf in his prime had been stuck with two plugs and couldn’t manage more than 20G/50P.

I feel like the RC non-firing did more damage to Ritchie than anyone else on the team. He was clearly a different player at the start of last season than he’s been before or since. Hopefully he can be that guy again.
Point taken. The only reason I compared Terry to Ritchie is that I think the narratives regarding both on this board are bogus. Ritchie isn't Max Jones as far as a motor is concerned, but he's a much better hockey player. Terry has skills, but so far haven't resulted in production.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Sprong has to actually earn a trip back, which he has most definitely not done in the AHL.
Really he has gone pointless in 3 gsmes in SD and they're losibg pretty bad. They had tones of PPs too and he still isnt producing. The guy seemed defeated to me when he got sent down.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I'd be less concerned about Terry's lack of production if he hadn't done the exact same thing last year.

There's a difference between a playmaker and a guy who can occasionally win a one-on-one but doesn't actually produce scoring chances.

Reactions: Deuce22

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I'd be less concerned about Terry's lack of production if he hadn't done the exact same thing last year.

There's a difference between a playmaker and a guy who can occasionally win a one-on-one but doesn't actually produce scoring chances.
He’s a 22 year old 5th round pick. Why are you worried at all? He needs a trip to San Diego, but the kid clearly has potential. Palmieri was also nothing special at his age.

Reactions: AngelDuck

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
He’s a 22 year old 5th round pick. Why are you worried at all? He needs a trip to San Diego, but the kid clearly has potential. Palmieri was also nothing special at his age.

5th round pick doesn't mean much at this point. He's not being judged against that, he's being judged against his current prospect rankings and expectations. Otherwise he wouldn't be on the team at all.

Picking out one player who bloomed later is survivorship bias. Lots of plugs had bad seasons at 22 too.

Doesn't mean I'm giving up on him. Just that it's worth noticing.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
5th round pick doesn't mean much at this point. He's not being judged against that, he's being judged against his current prospect rankings and expectations. Otherwise he wouldn't be on the team at all.

Picking out one player who bloomed later is survivorship bias. Lots of plugs had bad seasons at 22 too.

Doesn't mean I'm giving up on him. Just that it's worth noticing.
If he was a first round pick I’d be “worried”. A 5th rounder, I’m happy if he can play in the NHL at all. I don’t think he’d be on the team if we actually had more than 2 NHL caliber right wings.

It’s pretty easy to find players who bloomed after age 22. It’s pretty easy to find players who busted after 22. The kid has a .325PPG over his first 40 games. That’s acceptable to me. I would rather he was in San Diego building confidence and muscle though.

Reactions: 11Justin93

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Right now our best offensive players are Kase and Rakell. Kase has never played a full season and his best production was less than .7 PPG. Rakell is a 2 time 30 goal scorer that maxes out at 60 points probably.

I like both of those players a lot but when they’re leading the charge offensively, expectations need to be tempered. I want to see Eakins move some things around offensively and on the PP to try to get things flowing

Rakell-Steel-Terry
Henrique-Getzlaf-Kase
Ritchie-Grant-Silfverberg
Shore-Rowney-Jones

We haven’t been terrible this year but I’d love to try a lineup like this to try to spark things. Gives Getzlaf some real wingers and allows Terry and Steel to play with another high skilled player

no, the bottom 6 isn’t ideal, but it at least gives you a chance of having 2 lines that can score consistently. Right now we don’t really have a line that can be counted on to produce every game. We just have a bunch of meh linez

I don’t think Ritchie or Jones playing with Getzlaf Terry or Steel is the answer to any of our problems

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I like the Getzlaf /Kase Tandem as well. Getzlafs best game imo was against San Jose, with Kase in his wing I believe. I think Ondrej also has the ability to energize Getz.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Right now our best offensive players are Kase and Rakell. Kase has never played a full season and his best production was less than .7 PPG. Rakell is a 2 time 30 goal scorer that maxes out at 60 points probably.

I like both of those players a lot but when they’re leading the charge offensively, expectations need to be tempered. I want to see Eakins move some things around offensively and on the PP to try to get things flowing

Rakell-Steel-Terry
Henrique-Getzlaf-Kase
Ritchie-Grant-Silfverberg
Shore-Rowney-Jones

We haven’t been terrible this year but I’d love to try a lineup like this to try to spark things. Gives Getzlaf some real wingers and allows Terry and Steel to play with another high skilled player

no, the bottom 6 isn’t ideal, but it at least gives you a chance of having 2 lines that can score consistently. Right now we don’t really have a line that can be counted on to produce every game. We just have a bunch of meh linez

I don’t think Ritchie or Jones playing with Getzlaf Terry or Steel is the answer to any of our problems

I don't think it's a horrid idea, but Eakins was rolling out the Grant-Rowney pairing against other teams top lines IIRC, so he'd have to find a new "shutdown" line.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Zucker will be traded to the ducks sooner than later. That will help a lot, does terry go the other way ( I’m sure they don’t want Sprong )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad