Speculation: 2019-20 Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Eric Stephens had an interesting piece on the developing situation at center. A big takeaway for me was this quote from Getzlaf about playing with Terry:

“He’s good with the puck. He likes to hang onto it. Me and Terrs just got to find it. We got to play together. So that we find that chemistry where we know when to unload it. Again, he’s a guy similar to myself that likes to hold it. Make plays with it. Those kind of things.”

I get the sense Eakins is sort of trying to make that pairing work due in part because Ritchie-Henrique-Kase and Rakell-Steel(or Lundestrom)-Silfverberg work pretty well.

I'd be interested to see Jones on that line tonight. Or maybe go back to Comtois-Getzlaf-Terry, although they didn't appear to work very well together on Monday.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Getzlaf has seemed to embrace moving into an elder statesman kind of roll. He's previously spoken well of Terry and they do seem to look good together. The PP could really be lethal if Getz would accept being a shooter in this phase of his career and let Terry (or Z if he gets here soon enough) do more of the playmaking. We saw a little bit of that the other night and it was impressive seeing Getz blast away.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
“He looks like me when I was 20 years old,” Getzlaf said. “He’s good with the puck. He likes to hang onto it. Me and Terrs just got to find it. We got to play together. So that we find that chemistry where we know when to unload it. Again, he’s a guy similar to myself that likes to hold it. Make plays with it. Those kind of things.”

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Eric Stephens had an interesting piece on the developing situation at center. A big takeaway for me was this quote from Getzlaf about playing with Terry:

“He’s good with the puck. He likes to hang onto it. Me and Terrs just got to find it. We got to play together. So that we find that chemistry where we know when to unload it. Again, he’s a guy similar to myself that likes to hold it. Make plays with it. Those kind of things.”

I get the sense Eakins is sort of trying to make that pairing work due in part because Ritchie-Henrique-Kase and Rakell-Steel(or Lundestrom)-Silfverberg work pretty well.

I'd be interested to see Jones on that line tonight. Or maybe go back to Comtois-Getzlaf-Terry, although they didn't appear to work very well together on Monday.
Thanks, I was going to ask if someone could paraphrase that article.

A Getz-Terry duo could work well if one of them can actually score. Terry is still learning to score goals at the NHL level, and we know how Getz can be allergic to shooting sometimes. Really hope this is the year where he realizes the club needs him to score and not just distribute. Really don't know who could be on the other wing though. All the LWs are going to be good forecheckers, but none of them can finish consistently.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yeah the Blues gave up a good but not elite prospect and a third pairing Dman yet Murray was willing to give up Kase. That would have been a massive overpayment in comparison. Murray was saved from himself.

I don't comprehend this dichotomy of "trading away Kase is bad" and "we have too many forwards, and no one behind our top-3 defensemen". There's a lot of unknowns who could be a #4 and it looks like Guhle could be that player, but Larsson still is in development. Do the Ducks have a problem at #4 or don't we? Didn't the fan base panic when Fowler didn't return after getting hit in the face with the puck?

Here's a much better query, "which scenario can the Ducks absorb better between losing RW Kase and one of the Ducks top-3 defensemen?"

We already know the answer to that question. The Ducks were able to thrive under Murray as head coach and that was without Kase. The Ducks were able to absorb Fowler's absence last year due to injury, but we had Montour and Pettersson at our disposal. We don't have a known quantity like a Montour at our disposal right now. We have a prospects in Guhle and Larsson. Faulk would have become our #1 PP guy and the guy has some grit in him to eat up 20+ minutes a game and hit.

The Ducks lack known balance on their roster, which is why switching to zone makes even better hockey sense. Also why Murray kicked tires on FA Shattenkirk and inquired about Faulk. Murray wants a particular type of defenseman, which is why he didn't care to sign FA Gardiner.

The problem doesn't lie in the trade portion, but the term extension. Bob didn't want to get hemmed into a long extension, which Faulk received a 7-year extension, that ends when he's aged 34. Fowler's extension ends at age 33. Murray has a long term plan and seven years with Faulk wasn't one of them. I don't understand why Murray doesn't get credit for walking away? Instead, the trade didn't happen luckily to save Murray. That isn't what transpired at all. It's been reported that the trade between the organization was set and the only thing stopping it was Faulk's side. Both Murray and Faulk wanted an extension, but the difference in years was the line that Murray would walk away from. Also, we don't know the full details of what was involved in the trade such that the Ducks could have had a draft pick coming back to them b/c Kase is a far better player involved.

Yet, here we are trying to fantasize about trading for a #5 defenseman, who might be a #4 in a pinch. That's what Del Zotto was last year. That's a band-aid answer. We already have Guhle and Larsson who could use those minutes to be a long term solution as a #4. So which other forward prospect are you going to send off for a #5 defenseman? The Ducks don't seem to benefit from such a trade. Saying it aloud sounds even far more ludicrous, "The Ducks are trading for a third pairing, #5 defenseman." Seems asinine. I'd rather just keep what we have and see who develops. We have an abundance of #5-7 defenseman at the AHL and NHL level. We're hoping Guhle and/or Larsson will be a 2nd pairing defensemen for the future today. The only reasons I'm okay with that is b/c we have a franchise goaltender in Gibson and we're playing zone.

If we're trading for a defenseman, then it better be a top-4 defenseman who can play the PP. If not, then why bother and let's see what the youth has in store to begin the season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
“He looks like me when I was 20 years old,” Getzlaf said. “He’s good with the puck. He likes to hang onto it. Me and Terrs just got to find it. We got to play together. So that we find that chemistry where we know when to unload it. Again, he’s a guy similar to myself that likes to hold it. Make plays with it. Those kind of things.”

And this is why they need to be separated. Lol I'm okay with it on PP situations, but not on ES, where there's one less person looking to score.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

At the beginning of last year Carlyle was dead set on the combo despite it just not working throughout preseason and to start the year. Hopefully it’s more successful this time around.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
There's still a lot to be figured out, but here's my guess:

Comtois-Getzlaf-Terry
Rakell-Steel-Silfverberg
Ritchie-Henrique-Kase
Shore-Grant-Rowney

Lindholm-Manson
Guhle-Fowler
Larsson-Del Zotto

Second and third forward lines appear to be sticking. So do the first and second defensive pairings. As for the rest...

Getzlaf-Terry and Grant-Rowney appear to be the groupings Eakins wants to stick with. Pick one of Shore, Comtois, Jones, and maybe even Martinsen to play with those pairings. However, it should be noted that Shore has been exclusively used as a center during preseason.

What about Sprong? I have no mother-licking clue. I'd like to see him on the left side as he seems more of a lock to make the team than Comtois or Jones.

The bottom pairing I'm basing on those that have seemed to play well so far this preseason as well as the NHL experience (coaches love that) they've had relative to the rest of the defensemen. Although, one could easily make the case for Holzer (RHD + NHL experience), Benoit (decent camp so far), Hakanpää (RHD), and Mahura.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
Pretty playmaking and passing only impresses me when it ends up in the back of the net.
I don't understand this line of thinking. If you regularly have possession and generate scoring chances, it's going to eventually result in some goals

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Question: who do you move, Sprong or Kase? One of them likely need to go in a move for a defenseman. Keep in mind we probably have to add a lot more to Sprong than Kase.

I really wish we’d get serious about trying one of them at LW.

I’ve been thinking about line combos and here’s what I’d like to see:

Rakell-Getzlaf-Silfverberg
Ritchie-Henrique-Kase
Sprong-Steel-Terry
Jones-Rowney-Sherwood

I like Shore but I’d move him if we could.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler
Oct 18, 2011
Here's my crack at the opening night lineup based on what we've kinda seen

Rakell/Getz/Terry
Ritchie/Henrique/Kase
Sprong/Steel/Silf
Sherwood/Rowney/Grant

Lindholm/Manson
Fowler/Guhle
Benoit/?

Silf is the hard one to place but I think you put him with young guys to help insulate them a little with a responsible two way player

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Too many young guys on Defense when the season actually starts. Sometimes its hard to remember this is preseason and none of this matters.
That being said Guhle has made the team for sure I would bet.
Benoit will get a look but be sent down and they will probably keep the
uncoordinated Finn as their team project.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I'll take a shot:

Ritchie-getz-terry
Kase-henrique-sprong
Rakell-steel/lundy-silf
Shore-grant-rowney

Hampus-manson
Guhle-fowler
MDZ-Larsson

I think Jones did enough to make the team but there just isn't room yet. Better that he plays top six in San Diego than 10 minutes on the fourth up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->