Speculation: 2019-20 Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Not sure if it's changed or you conveniently left out years prior, but our track record outside of the first round is pretty damn good when drafting skaters out of Europe. Vatanen, Heed, Wild Bill, and Pettersson all drafted and very succesful NHL players since 2010. Perhaps our scouts just haven't found the right pick or valued other players higher regardless of their country.

Not to mention how good we have been in the first round drafting out of Sweden in particular.

The only area you can say that we neglect is Russia. Which I kind of get due to the flight risks but I wish we were more open to drafting from that area.

Reactions: Doothpick

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Not sure if it's changed or you conveniently left out years prior, but our track record outside of the first round is pretty damn good when drafting skaters out of Europe. Vatanen, Heed, Wild Bill, and Pettersson all drafted and very succesful NHL players since 2010. Perhaps our scouts just haven't found the right pick or valued other players higher regardless of their country.
I know, it just feels like lately, we haven't had much of a presence.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
ya I wonder if there has been a change in that aspect of the scouting staff, a change in mindset, or it’s just some fluke thing.
Perhaps the change is due more to them shift to wherever there is an area thats being overlooked. They'll eventually go back to drafting swedish skaters in later rounds.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
With the rumors coming out that Ottawa is looking to add a forward, I wonder if we might be a good trade partner, in exchange for one of their many bottom pairing caliber NHL ready fringe prospects. Someone like Jaros might be a decent fit on our bottom pair.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
With the rumors coming out that Ottawa is looking to add a forward, I wonder if we might be a good trade partner, in exchange for one of their many bottom pairing caliber NHL ready fringe prospects. Someone like Jaros might be a decent fit on our bottom pair.
We have the bottom pair pretty well covered. It’s the middle pair that is lacking.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
We have the bottom pair pretty well covered. It’s the middle pair that is lacking.

I agree, Id rather go for someone with more upside than a Jaros or Englund. Holzer/Hakanpaa fill that bottom role. The problem is what we would have to give to get.

I’m hoping for something like Sprong for Philippe Myers. Philly needs scoring and we need a righty with some size and upside. We could afford to give him playing time to develop.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I agree, Id rather go for someone with more upside than a Jaros or Englund. Holzer/Hakanpaa fill that bottom role. The problem is what we would have to give to get.

I’m hoping for something like Sprong for Philippe Myers. Philly needs scoring and we need a righty with some size and upside. We could afford to give him playing time to develop.
You're out of your mind if you think the Flyers would make that trade.

nilssont

May 27, 2007

Dont get your hopes up.......

Reactions: Getz2noone

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Rico is streaky, though. What he's doing right now won't last. Long term I think we'd be better off with him on the wing.

He's streaky because that's that 40-50 point players are. Obviously he won't continue to score goals at the rate he's doing now, but his point production so far is exactly what you'd expect from him.

wraparound

May 17, 2014
He's streaky because that's that 40-50 point players are. Obviously he won't continue to score goals at the rate he's doing now, but his point production so far is exactly what you'd expect from him.
And exactly when you need it because Getzlaf, Ritchie, Kaše, Terry, Steel, Jones, Comtois, etc. aren’t producing as much much as they are being expected to or have in the past. You don’t want all of your goal scorers to get hot at the same time. Sure it’s nice but hardly sustainable. Better to stagger those streaks (not that they can be controlled).

Reactions: Elvs
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Point production and production consistency are different things. I don't have any complaints about his point totals but it's clear to me he gets overwhelmed by the position at times.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Rico is streaky, though. What he's doing right now won't last. Long term I think we'd be better off with him on the wing.

I guess I’m not comfortable running Getz-Steel-Grant-Rowney. I’d rather have Rico as a center and I don’t think he gets overwhelmed at all. He is very responsible on the D side of things and plays with a pretty calm demeanor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad