2019-20-21 Roster Speculation: Neither on- nor off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Well, I just would not blame Adams for not signing Malone, yet he is a simple player for the AHL.
Whose judgement do you trust:

One of the most credible and well run organization in the entire sport (Nashville)

Or

Arguably the most sad and incompetent organization in the post modern expansion (1992) era (Us)?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

One of the most credible and well run organization in the entire sport (Nashville)

Or

Arguably the most sad and incompetent organization in the post modern expansion (1992) era (Us)?
Do you think he will play in Nashville? I mean, they will find another if for the AHL.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Do you think he will play in Nashville? I mean, they will find another if for the AHL.
Probably not, but the fact they handed him a contract suggests they see him as having value even if it's for their AHL team. Him not being in Rochester opens up a slot for one of our nonexistent forward prospects so that's nice.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Or

If this is how every move is judged there's no real point in even discussing it?

Its like mourning the loss of Jordan nolan because st. Louis got us in the ror trade. Maybe malone does well but every time a good team has a roster move doesn't mean they're 3 steps ahead of everyone

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If this is how every move is judged there's no real point in even discussing it?

Its like mourning the loss of Jordan nolan because st. Louis got us in the ror trade. Maybe malone does well but every time a good team has a roster move doesn't mean they're 3 steps ahead of everyone

The Sabres aren't losing someone amazing with Malone leaving.

But, this isn't a good sign:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Probably not, but the fact they handed him a contract suggests they see him as having value even if it's for their AHL team. Him not being in Rochester opens up a slot for one of our nonexistent forward prospects so that's nice.
Well, as I understand it, they offered him a deal, he refused. This is not on Adams.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Getting someone to effectively play with Dahlin should be a priority this offseason.

I agree with this 100%. Anyone you like personally?

I wonder if Savard is available from Columbus what he’d cost? Or any UFA’s we could look into? But I don’t think there’s anyone in free agency that would be cost effective and capable of handling the minutes we want Dahlin to play.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I agree with this 100%. Anyone you like personally?

I wonder if Savard is available from Columbus what he’d cost? Or any UFA’s we could look into? But I don’t think there’s anyone in free agency that would be cost effective and capable of handling the minutes we want Dahlin to play.
A couple of days ago I already published possible options, maybe one of them. But I don’t know so well about some players.

Internal reservs: Jokiharju or Borgen - maybe one of them could be suitable for this, but it is somewhat adventurous to make such a young pair of defenders and take on difficult minutes, and Dahlin will probably already play 20+ minutes.

UFA:
Pietrangelo - a lot of money and term, he is also unlikely to be eager to leave St. Louis for Buffalo.

Tanev - It seems like a good option to play with Dahlin, but his injuries are embarrassing, it’s not clear which contract he will ask for and maybe he will stay in Vancouver.

Brodie - he is left-handed, but seems more convenient for him to play on the right, I know little about his game and how much he will suit us.

Gudas - I’m not sure if he is good for top 4, but he will give the team rigidity.

DeMelo - also know little about this guy

Question marks - Hamonic, Braun, Shattenkirk, Vatanen

Trade:
Petry - again, is he good at defense or are Montreal fans overestimating him?

Demers - maybe it will be cheap

Savard - seems like a good option, but depends on the price

Larsson - his game seems to have improved lately, although before that there were problems

Severson - is he good and suitable for playing with Dahlin or is he more like Risto?

Manson - seems like a good player, but maybe the price will bite

Pesce - for some reason it seems to me that he would be an ideal partner for Dahlin, but probably it would cost too much

Murphy - not very good know this guy

Pulock - see Pesce

Weegar - Florida is unlikely to give up one of its best defenders

Mayfield - maybe there is some chance to get this guy if Pulock and Dobson is in the top 4

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Would like to go after Pysyk if we trade off one of Montour/Risto. I feel he could mesh well with Dahlin or move him to the LD and have him pair with Miller.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Miller also has at least some history of decent possession stats and occasional physical play.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
A couple of days ago I already published possible options, maybe one of them. But I don’t know so well about some players.

Internal reservs: Jokiharju or Borgen - maybe one of them could be suitable for this, but it is somewhat adventurous to make such a young pair of defenders and take on difficult minutes, and Dahlin will probably already play 20+ minutes.

UFA:
Pietrangelo - a lot of money and term, he is also unlikely to be eager to leave St. Louis for Buffalo.

Tanev - It seems like a good option to play with Dahlin, but his injuries are embarrassing, it’s not clear which contract he will ask for and maybe he will stay in Vancouver.

Brodie - he is left-handed, but seems more convenient for him to play on the right, I know little about his game and how much he will suit us.

Gudas - I’m not sure if he is good for top 4, but he will give the team rigidity.

Trade:

Larsson - his game seems to have improved lately, although before that there were problems

Severson - is he good and suitable for playing with Dahlin or is he more like Risto?

Pesce - for some reason it seems to me that he would be an ideal partner for Dahlin, but probably it would cost too much

Pulock - see Pesce

Mayfield - maybe there is some chance to get this guy if Pulock and Dobson is in the top 4

Brodie would be terrible here IMO. The only time his metrics have been respectable is when he's been stapled to Giordano---he's a passenger, not a driver.

Reactions: RWatson29

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Brodie would be terrible here IMO. The only time his metrics have been respectable is when he's been stapled to Giordano---he's a passenger, not a driver.
So we do not need Brodie, there are others. Honestly, I don’t even know how Brodie plays. :)

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

UFA:

Trade:

Pulock - see Pesce

Mayfield for a reasonable price would be a very good move.

Reactions: Cheese Breadman

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Hutton or Merill, because Dillon and Edmundson are more expensive options.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Final mock for a while. I've refined this one for weeks, to the point where I don't think I can improve it.
This is a realistic path back to success. Rather than firesale a bunch of assets for a likely short-term answer, here's the plan:

Step 1:
Trade two dmen who didn't perform well in Krueger's system to completely stabilize the center spine. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, it'll be on offensive talent, not completely broken team composition. (I know Krueger loves Risto, but math doesn't)

Zacha may not get people excited, but he's an elite penalty killer on a beautiful contract, and the kind of center Skinner has played well with. (NJD was also rumored to want Risto, and rumored to be dangling Zacha).

Tierney is the ideal Larsson replacement, and saves us the trouble of paying Montour. (Btw, Ottawa fans love this deal.)

Step 2:

Use ufa to fill out the defense, short term. Solutions are coming, so just try to find some good placeholders. Gudas would be perfect next to Dahlin. Sekera can be a good vet 3rd-pair guy on the cheap.

Step 3:

BE PATIENT and wait for pick-8, Cozens, and Mittelstadt to lead the charge. Every kind of dman prospect you can want, we have. (The superstar - Dahlin, the Hjalmarsson - Joker, the new age Defensive Dman - Johnson, the toughness- Samuelsson/Borgen, the transition guy - Bryson, the offensive guy - Laaksonen). Our goaltending prospects are also solid.

These trades/moves also give us decent cap. If the Pegulas really cheap out, they could skip Kyle Clifford (I wouldn't. We need that veteran toughness).

This plan doesn't have that pipedream sexy move, but it's realistic, simple, and gives us a chance to actually develop the talent we possess rather than selling low.

If Jack continues to grow, Skinner rebounds with a real center, Ullmark continues to grow into a real 1, Dahlin transcends, we'll be a playoff pushing team in 2021-2022, AND have a bright future that's close.

sdfOapZ.png

It’s a solid plan and obviously a ton of hard work. However I do have an issue shipping two top 4 RHD out for a 3 & 4C.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think the point is that he isnt a long-term cap controlled asset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad