2019-20-21 Roster Speculation: Neither on- nor off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
A couple of days ago in some thread, I saw a comment from an Arizona fan that many forwards who come to their team or have already been in the team just start to produce worse, and almost all, apparently, this is due to the coach system. So I would take a serious look at their players for trading.
Sounds like a team I know...

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This is exactly my thought as well. Don't over think it and sell everything to try and find a 2C. Move Reinhart to C. He can more than handle it defensively.

Use the excess RHD(Montour/Miller) to trade for a RW (or assets to flip for a top 6/9 RW) to use in top 6/9. Re-sign Larson. Sign a vet LHD to help anchor PK and handle tougher matchups. Eichel is good enough to carry his line. Reinhart and Skinner can carry another line. If we get a decent RW everyone slides down 1 line.

I still feel that Thompson could be exactly what we need on Jack's RW. He has an excellent shot and Jack does not need much room to work . He added the weight now he just needs to show that he has the foot speed to keep up. I remember he had a few games on Jack's wing two years ago but it was right after Jack came back from high ankle sprain and wasn't close to 100%. His reach on the fore-check should cause havoc with Jack sitting back picking off passes.

Bottom line is I'm certainly not going to hold my breath waiting for Tage to arrive but I believe its easier to find a winger on that line to replace Reinhart than it is to find our next all-around 2C. You can still bring them all together on PP1

Olofsson- Eichel- (trade/Thompson)
Skinner- Reinhart- Johansson/trade)
Kahun-Larson-Okposo
Lazar/Mitts/Cozens/Ruotsalainen/ UFAs

Dahlin- Joker
McCabe- Risto
Vet D- Miller

#TeamMagicGiraffe #ToeDragArmy

Reactions: joshjull

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
A couple of days ago in some thread, I saw a comment from an Arizona fan that many forwards who come to their team or have already been in the team just start to produce worse, and almost all, apparently, this is due to the coach system. So I would take a serious look at their players for trading.

We should try for Dvorak hidden gem ready to explode

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Sounds like a team I know...
But Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart are not playing worse than before, quite the opposite. In Arizona, Keller, Kessel, Schmaltz, before that there was Strome, everything seems to degrade or stand still.

ruff22

May 5, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Not that interested in the baseball season but watched tonight's season opener for a few minutes - seeing the game without fans...did not like it at all...so much so that I don't think they should even bother playing...if they even had 20-25% of fans attending that might make it tolerable.

Hard to believe the NHL is going to be any different or any more enjoyable. I'd actually hate to see the Sabres win a Cup in this kind of environment. I wonder if things will be sorted out by the time next season begins?

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Not that interested in the baseball season but watched tonight's season opener for a few minutes - seeing the game without fans...did not like it at all...so much so that I don't think they should even bother playing...if they even had 20-25% of fans attending that might make it tolerable.

Hard to believe the NHL is going to be any different or any more enjoyable. I'd actually hate to see the Sabres win a Cup in this kind of environment. I wonder if things will be sorted out by the time next season begins?
I don't think you need to worry.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Not that interested in the baseball season but watched tonight's season opener for a few minutes - seeing the game without fans...did not like it at all...so much so that I don't think they should even bother playing...if they even had 20-25% of fans attending that might make it tolerable?
Fauci was happy there wasn't anyone there to see his fabulous ceremonial first pitch

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
Does anyone here have access to yesterdays "The Athletic" article on the Sabres? If so, could you post the info here? Thanks in advance.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Does anyone here have access to yesterdays "The Athletic" article on the Sabres? If so, could you post the info here? Thanks in advance.

He talked about a lot of players the Sabres could target, plenty of whom have been talked about here.

Some of the players he throws in the "blockbuster" category are just cringe worthy for various reasons. PKane, Kessel, and Cirelli were the ones that I read and was like "really..."

But, Strome, Saad, Hertl, Stepan, Rakell, & Virtanen are some of the names that he threw out there that people have thrown out there for a while.

And this wasn't an inside info article. It was merely looking at teams that are dealing with cap issues and throwing names out there.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
We should try for Dvorak hidden gem ready to explode
Would be a great get, but living here in AZ, I highly, highly doubt he's available. Coyotes have other players they'd prefer to move to clear cap first (Stepan, Raanta, Goligoski) and the whole organization top to bottom is really high on him.

A real savvy move with Arizona if we wanted to strengthen our middle six would be asking if they'd tack on RFA Hinostroza along with Stepan.

Last edited:

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
Would be a great get, but living here in AZ, I highly, highly doubt he's available. Coyotes have other players they'd prefer to move to clear cap first (Stepan, Raanta, Goligoski) and the whole organization top to bottom is really high on him.

A real savvy move with Arizona if we wanted to strengthen our middle six would be asking if they'd tack on RFA Hinostroza along with Stepan.

Welp I'm a sad panda now ... hopefully this is not another year without a 2nd lind center smh

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think Adams makes two simple trades to shore up center depth. I actually think with better centers (actual centers) the Sabres can make the playoffs. It pushes natural wingers like Johansson to the wing, and pushes other wingers down the line up.

Sabres 2022 4th round pick to Arizona for Derek Stepan and Christian Fischer. Arizona gets cap relief, which they need. Sabres get a legit middle 6 center with playoff experience in Stepan. They also get a net front presence in Fischer. The Sabres have tons of perimeter players but don't have many players who score scrappy goals from in front of the net. Fischer is that guy. And as a bonus, even if Stepan doesn't work out, or a player like Cozens or Mittelstadt develop faster than expected, he's on a one year contract.

Montour to Winnipeg for Andrwe Copp and 2020 2nd round pick. Winnipeg has one RHD left after having the deepest right side two years ago. They'll need someone behind Pionk. Copp plays a Bonino-style game as a 3C, can play wing, and fits in with the Sabres as a big forward. The second accounts for the age difference and that Montour plays RD.

Sign Jon Merrill to a one-year deal, less than $2M. Protects the young LHD in the system, and he's also one of the better defenders in the game.

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Johansson - Stepan - Olofsson
Kahun - Cozens - Fischer
Asplund - Copp - Okposo
x Lazar, Thompson

Dahlin - Miller
McCabe - Jokiharju
Merrill - Ristolainen
x Borgen or Bryson

Ullmark, Hutton

Edit: really like this line-up for a few reasons.

- Center depth. The Sabres are legit three deep. If Cozens can't cut it, move Copp up the line up and have Asplund play center.

- Overall forward depth. Having Kahun, Fischer, and Copp as 3rd line options gives the team it's best middle six depth in years.

- Tougher to play against without sacrificing speed or defensive depth. Copp plays a rugged game, Stepan plays big, and Merrill is a tough defender.

- Growth potential. Cozens is in Buffalo but playing lower line minutes and can be sheltered. The Sabres don't need to force Thompson, Bryson, or Borgen into roles earlier than needed. Stepan, Johansson, McCabe, Hutton, and Merrill are all pending free agents, allowing younger players to step in. And Mittelstadt is still in Rochester.

- Existing trade possibilities. If one of the youngsters steps up (Borgen, Cozens), the Sabres can still move a player like Ristolainen or Johannson and not destroy depth.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Lets hope Adams can at least pull off a trade similar to the Joki/Nylander trade.

Mittelstadt for another top prospect who has a crowded way to ice time. Mitts value is probably equivalent to a late 2020 1st IMO. I wouldn't be trading a recent top 8 draft pick for just a 2nd rounder but if someone is offering another recent former 1st round pick prospect with high potential from the 2016-2019 drafts I would hope Adams looks into it.

I don't see a path for Mitts anymore as a top 6 center..Eichel is the 1c for another 6 years and Cozens is a highly superior prospect as the 2C for a hopeful decade+. And the highly hoped for move to LW may not be as smooth of a transition for a guy like Mitts who played center his whole life. Would try to move Mitts for a high end RW prospect.

That way long term we could roll out

Skinner-Eichel-RW prospect from Mitts trade
Olofsson-Cozens-Reinhart
Kahun-X-Thompson

The X at the 3c spot could very well be are pick at 2020. At this point I just want as much turnover as possible. We need to move as many players from the basement regime as possible. I am now OK with a Risto trade as long as the return is a legit 2C, a RW1 or another #2/3 physical dman just for a change of scenery. Reinhart is also someone I would prefer to shop as I don't think it is prudent to pay a guy who is straight up only a 50 point winger without Eichel 7-9 mil per. Even with Eichel Reinhart has only shown to be a 55+ point player once. 1 65 point season and several 50 and below ones should mean Reinhart gets 5.5-6 mil per long term and thats it. If Reinhart is demanding 7+ I gladly trade him. Hopefully we would be able to work out a Calgary trade to get Monahan.

Reinhart+Mitts+Montour for Monahan+Lindholm is my dream blockbuster. Sabres get 2 1st line forwards in return for a RW1, a top 4 RHD and a boom bust high potential center prospect. Calgary has cap issues so it is not an impossible idea. Hell, I would even take a cap dump if necessary and just figure it out before next season when Dahlin is going from an ELC to 8+ mil AAV.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Lets hope Adams can at least pull off a trade similar to the Joki/Nylander trade.

Mittelstadt for another top prospect who has a crowded way to ice time. Mitts value is probably equivalent to a late 2020 1st IMO. I wouldn't be trading a recent top 8 draft pick for just a 2nd rounder but if someone is offering another recent former 1st round pick prospect with high potential from the 2016-2019 drafts I would hope Adams looks into it.

I don't see a path for Mitts anymore as a top 6 center..Eichel is the 1c for another 6 years and Cozens is a highly superior prospect as the 2C for a hopeful decade+. And the highly hoped for move to LW may not be as smooth of a transition for a guy like Mitts who played center his whole life. Would try to move Mitts for a high end RW prospect.

That way long term we could roll out

Skinner-Eichel-RW prospect from Mitts trade
Olofsson-Cozens-Reinhart
Kahun-X-Thompson

The X at the 3c spot could very well be are pick at 2020. At this point I just want as much turnover as possible. We need to move as many players from the basement regime as possible. I am now OK with a Risto trade as long as the return is a legit 2C, a RW1 or another #2/3 physical dman just for a change of scenery. Reinhart is also someone I would prefer to shop as I don't think it is prudent to pay a guy who is straight up only a 50 point winger without Eichel 7-9 mil per. Even with Eichel Reinhart has only shown to be a 55+ point player once. 1 65 point season and several 50 and below ones should mean Reinhart gets 5.5-6 mil per long term and thats it. If Reinhart is demanding 7+ I gladly trade him. Hopefully we would be able to work out a Calgary trade to get Monahan.

Reinhart+Mitts+Montour for Monahan+Lindholm is my dream blockbuster. Sabres get 2 1st line forwards in return for a RW1, a top 4 RHD and a boom bust high potential center prospect. Calgary has cap issues so it is not an impossible idea. Hell, I would even take a cap dump if necessary and just figure it out before next season when Dahlin is going from an ELC to 8+ mil AAV.
We already took their cap dump and gave them a decent pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad