2019-20-21 Roster Speculation: Neither on- nor off-season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
If we were to trade the 8th pick, it would be the fill our biggest need, which is 2C. I don't think there's a deal there between us.

I know that he's seen as a disappointment as former 1OV pick - but how much upside does Hischier have?

I'm not suggesting for a second NJ are looking to move him - but that's the type of return I'd be looking for.

Zacha for 8OV is just not going to cut it - no way no how.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I know that he's seen as a disappointment as former 1OV pick - but how much upside does Hischier have?

I'm not suggesting for a second NJ are looking to move him - but that's the type of return I'd be looking for.

I don't want to put words in that poster's mouth, but if he was asking for 8th overall, and trying to entice us with Okposo as a cap dump, chances are he wasn't thinking of any great value back to Buffalo haha.

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
Who is our current 7th D-man (after Dahlin, Risto, McCabb, Montour, Miller, Joker) ? Borgen, Brison, Fitzgerald, Gilmore, someone else?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Who is our current 7th D-man (after Dahlin, Risto, McCabb, Montour, Miller, Joker) ? Borgen, Brison, Fitzgerald, Gilmore, someone else?

Borgen, without a doubt. He's making this team, this year, and will be fighting for the 3rd pair minutes from someone (Miller).

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I don't want to put words in that poster's mouth, but if he was asking for 8th overall, and trying to entice us with Okposo as a cap dump, chances are he wasn't thinking of any great value back to Buffalo haha.

Adding Okposo to your highest value trade piece - essentially to diminish the return - would be very stupid.

I just don't see a deal making sense for both teams there.

If/when the time comes to dump Okposo - we're just going to have to bend over & take it. Hopefully by that time we'll have all the core pieces in place & we'll be able to afford giving up futures as payment.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I dont think Okposo is waiving a NTC to go to jersey either.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Instigators talk about this 2C almost daily. Would Wennberg qualify?

Wennberg is a "buy cheap" option in terms of assets. He's got a bad contract for his production. He went from just shy of 60 pts to 35 pts, 22 pts, and 22 pts. It can be somewhat explained by his change of usage (went from high Ozone/sheltered starts to 50/50 split between ozone/dzone starts). In looking at it, the likely scenario is C-bus utilizing the under 25 buyout (i'm assuming they are extending this as he turns 26 in September). They pay 1/3rd of his remaining contract (around 5M) split over double the length (6 years).

My guess it'd cost us next to nothing to acquire him. However, would he be a great 2C option? it'd be a risk.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Adding Okposo to your highest value trade piece - essentially to diminish the return - would be very stupid.

I just don't see a deal making sense for both teams there.

If/when the time comes to dump Okposo - we're just going to have to bend over & take it. Hopefully by that time we'll have all the core pieces in place & we'll be able to afford giving up futures as payment.
If you're trading Okposo, you actually need a replacement in mind as well. He got his bearings as a bottom 6 player in 2019, and was one of the team's most effective forwards this past season. You can't just ship him out and expect some random AHL body/PTO deal/waiver claim to replace his production like you could in 17-18.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
If you're trading Okposo, you actually need a replacement in mind as well. He got his bearings as a bottom 6 player in 2019, and was one of the team's most effective forwards this past season. You can't just ship him out and expect some random AHL body/PTO deal/waiver claim to replace his production like you could in 17-18.

I do agree with this - but let's not pretend it will be an incredibly difficult task to replace him either.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Right? I get that he's overpaid, but he was a net positive last year. KO was 4th on the team in individual points/60 at ES (>100 mins):

PlayerTotal Points/60
1Jack Eichel2.4
2Sam Reinhart1.93
3Victor Olofsson1.86
4Kyle Okposo1.73
5Marcus Johansson1.68
6Conor Sheary1.5
7Jeff Skinner1.45
8Curtis Lazar1.42
9Johan Larsson1.36
10Zemgus Girgensons1.36
11Jimmy Vesey1.35
12Evan Rodrigues1.24
13Casey Mittelstadt1.23
14Vladimir Sobotka0.9
15Michael Frolik0.82
16Rasmus Asplund0.46
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

We basically need a couple of forwards that can contribute at a level above him (or one play-driving center), not in place of him.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I do agree with this - but let's not pretend it will be an incredibly difficult task to replace him either.
If the only thing on the shopping list was "Kyle Okposo replacement" I'd agree with you, but we're already in a spot where we need a salary dump (or similarly de-valued asset) like Palat, Gourde, etc to hit in order to fill out the scoring lines, now you have to do that again with limited cap space/assets/prospects, and with an unpopular destination.

It's just an unforced error that you should probably kick down the line a few years, unless you're absolutely crushing the rest of the offseason.

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
Unless you've got a long-term 2C for us, not available.

I was going to offer this:

Kyle Palmieri + Michael McLeod
for
8th overall + Okposo

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Moving 8th overall makes sense in two scenarios:

1. a legit 2nd line center who we can lock up in a cost controlled long term contract. The name that comes to mind in Cirelli.
2. Moving back to the mid 1st round + assets. Given we've bled mid round picks under the previous GM, picking up 2-3 extra 2nd/3rds would be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad