Prospect Info: 2019 1st Round Pick: Philip Broberg Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You guys are just obsessed with Aerchon.
giphy.gif

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I'd say the only issue with Bouchard thus far is his ability to defend. If Broberg is going to jump into the play, someone like - yep, I'm going to say it - Kris Russell staying back helps to maintain the back end. The year Nurse was phenomenal, IIRC, he was with Russell for a majority of the time and Larsson as his secondary linemate.

Bouchard would have to make strides in his own end for me to feel comfortable to have them on a pairing together.
Every rush dman needs his Orpik or Scuderi(I'm sure I butchered that name).

Reactions: ohheyhemsky

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
The English J is a bit different. The Swedish J sounds more like the Y in yard.

A more accurate description would be brew-Barry with rolled Rs
Not all English J's are different. The G in Broberg is like the J in Jimmy. And no, there's literally no ''barry'' in his name.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Not all English J's are different. The G in Broberg is like the J in Jimmy. And no, there's literally no ''barry'' in his name.

Hear the J in Jimmy? in comparison us Swedes pronounce it more like Yimmy, it's a common mistake we make. Just like we often pronounce chicken as "shicken" without the little T sound.

I don't mean to come off rude but by standard we're kind of deaf to the difference in how our J's and Ch's are a little softer in pronounciation compared to English.

If you tell an English speaker it's pronounced "Broberj" they might start saying "Broberzh"

Reactions: Oilhawks

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I was listening to the "Cult of Hockey" podcast and Bruce McCurdy pointed out some disturbing numbers about Broberg's game the last few months.
Not that +/- is the end all be all but I think it's useful over a larger sample size and when compared to teammates. Essentially, Broberg is a -12 over the last two months on a team that has been +1 and he hasn't been a + player in any one game over that time period (which is crazy) and a lot of those minuses are at even strength as opposed to having a pile of minuses of shorthanded and empty net goals against like McDrai for instance when they were struggling.

I've only caught a few of his games in that timeframe and the eye test seems to match those struggles. He's playing way too soft defensively, has lost his man on several occasions and some questionable passes in his own zone.
Struggles in that league, or any pro league, aren't uncommon for young defensemen and I don't think it's time to panic but he's having a hard time of it. I almost wish that he skipped the WJC to continue working on his game in the SHL.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I was listening to the "Cult of Hockey" podcast and Bruce McCurdy pointed out some disturbing numbers about Broberg's game the last few months.
Not that +/- is the end all be all but I think it's useful over a larger sample size and when compared to teammates. Essentially, Broberg is a -12 over the last two months on a team that has been +1 and he hasn't been a + player in any one game over that time period (which is crazy) and a lot of those minuses are at even strength as opposed to having a pile of minuses of shorthanded and empty net goals against like McDrai for instance when they were struggling.

I've only caught a few of his games in that timeframe and the eye test seems to match those struggles. He's playing way too soft defensively, has lost his man on several occasions and some questionable passes in his own zone.
Struggles in that league, or any pro league, aren't uncommon for young defensemen and I don't think it's time to panic but he's having a hard time of it. I almost wish that he skipped the WJC to continue working on his game in the SHL.

IMO it's probably better that he plays against easier competition for the most part and gets some confidence in his game.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
IMO it's probably better that he plays against easier competition for the most part and gets some confidence in his game.

I don't think playing against kids in his draft+2 year is going to help him gain confidence against men. It might serve to give him a break to recharge the batteries.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Most of draisaitls minus’ during the month of December was at even strength. You don’t go -24 in a month being propped up by empty net and short handed goals.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't think playing against kids in his draft+2 year is going to help him gain confidence against men. It might serve to give him a break to recharge the batteries.

Confidence in his game could lead to him to playing better against men.

Reactions: nabob

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Peer competition is always a good thing at the elite level that the U20 Tournament delivers. The intensity is high in a global best on best format and in the case of Broberg it is a rare situation where he's able to play against own age competition. The early hot streak in a tough pro league whet the appetite for Broberg's potential but pro hockey as a teenager is a humbling proposition for all but the McDavid level elite. World U20 is a vital benchmark for young talent and Broberg will have a valuable opportunity to lead, contribute and scrap through some adversity on a covid depleted Team Sweden.

Learning in the deep end of the pool aka pro league development is tough and prone to ups and downs. Broberg will be well served representing his country in the U20 and the intensity it provides as the best on best tournament.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Most of draisaitls minus’ during the month of December was at even strength. You don’t go -24 in a month being propped up by empty net and short handed goals.

Yes but there was still a lot of shorthanded and empty net goals against that padded the minuses, maybe a lot of those were outside of December?

In any event, I just found these Broberg numbers to be a bit concerning. This is a really important development year for him being draft+2, we need to see bigger improvements in his game in the second half.
One thing is pretty clear IMO. There's no way he should be in the NHL now like some were hoping he could be. His game is too raw.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln

Hear the J in Jimmy? in comparison us Swedes pronounce it more like Yimmy, it's a common mistake we make. Just like we often pronounce chicken as "shicken" without the little T sound.

I don't mean to come off rude but by standard we're kind of deaf to the difference in how our J's and Ch's are a little softer in pronounciation compared to English.

If you tell an English speaker it's pronounced "Broberj" they might start saying "Broberzh"

For Germans it can be very hard to differentiate "believe" and "belief" or "cap" and "cab".
They have sch, but the English-style ch sound is uncommon, so they use their sound and can't really tell the difference (btw these sounds are called phonemes). Chicken is a good example as it's been adopted nearly globally and non-English speakers don't really care how it's supposed to be pronounced. Maybe like we English speakers crucify Jalapeno.

I wish more players would inform how their name is properly pronounced.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Playing with and against more skilled players on a smaller ice surface will be good for his game. He may not be playing against men but this will help his game grow by giving him an opportunity to be a go to player in high stakes games, and he'll potentially gain the confidence to try some things that he wouldn't be able to in the SHL that he'll then have gained the confidence to try later on at the professional level. Confidence and belief in oneself is key and the WJC could be a building block in that regard for him.

When he moves on to playing in the AHL and NHL if he knows he can succeed playing against these players from the WJC (some of which he will play against in the NHL) because he had success and was able to execute against them at a high level of competition at the WJC then that should translate to more confidence to try things at the NHL level. He's without a doubt going to have failures at the NHL level, every player does, but if he has confidence in himself from successes at a lower level then he's more likely to continue to try to express his skills in the NHL because he's had success previously leading to a higher likelihood of him fulfilling his potential.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Should be noted that development isn't a straight line. A lot of people (myself included) are fawning over Savoie at the moment, who is bound to have a cold streak eventually.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Depending on how he is used in the tournament it could be argued that Broberg will see a higher level of competition and more intense competition than if he skipped the tourney and stayed in the SEL. The top two lines for the top teams are going to have a ton of firepower. Playing against elite skill for his age group on small ice will be a good thing.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Like @OiledUp said a few posts up, that +/- is largely driven by a bottomed out PDO.

You're going to have a bad +/- no matter what when your goalie has an .800 SV%.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Broberg is really young as well. June 25th birthdate. If he was a couple of months younger this would be his draft + 1 year. Not many defensemen his age are playing pro hockey.

I just don't sweat it at all. In fact, there shouldn't be any rush whatsoever.

2020/21: Let's see what we have in Jones & Lagesson.
2021/22: Let's see what we have in Samorukov.

2021/22: This is the earliest I'd bring Broberg over, but it's not necessary. If I were to make a prediction, I'd liken it to Bouchard's situation this year.

Bouchard imo is ready for a spot on an NHL roster, but he's got Bear, Barrie, and Larsson ahead of him. The following year, one or both of Larsson/Barrie will reach free agency opening up a spot for Bouchard who is 'overripe'.

Broberg may be ready, but he's got some combination of Nurse, Klefbomb, Jones (who could be near 200GP, approaching his prime), and Samorukov ahead of him. If he gets blocked like Bouchard likely has, then the following year I'd estimate that he's overripe.

Depending on how the expansion draft goes, we may find ourselves in a Nashville-Seth Jones situation where we're trading a stellar young D.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Playing with and against more skilled players on a smaller ice surface will be good for his game. He may not be playing against men but this will help his game grow by giving him an opportunity to be a go to player in high stakes games, and he'll potentially gain the confidence to try some things that he wouldn't be able to in the SHL that he'll then have gained the confidence to try later on at the professional level. Confidence and belief in oneself is key and the WJC could be a building block in that regard for him.

When he moves on to playing in the AHL and NHL if he knows he can succeed playing against these players from the WJC (some of which he will play against in the NHL) because he had success and was able to execute against them at a high level of competition at the WJC then that should translate to more confidence to try things at the NHL level. He's without a doubt going to have failures at the NHL level, every player does, but if he has confidence in himself from successes at a lower level then he's more likely to continue to try to express his skills in the NHL because he's had success previously leading to a higher likelihood of him fulfilling his potential.

Good post. I quibble a little bit about a perception of confidence in this player. No doubt playing pro as a teenager can be a very big challenge, however, in Broberg's case, his aggressive play which at times leads to mistakes is moreso about improving decision making and reads likely also simplifying/calming his game somewhat. My impression - impression only - is that Broberg is a supremely self confident kid who is not daunted by the deep end learning curve. Anecdotally I don't sense from reports that he's shrinking from his natural instinct to play aggressively (at both sides of the ice) but rather is processing some hard lessons when he gets burned by his wrong decisions. Impressions only but I think one of Broberg's key intangibles is real intelligence as a quick learner who will adjust and grow from youthful mistakes. There's a grit and determination which I think is part of projecting his potential high upside. I can't quantify this just my impressions of all that I have seen and read about the player.

Draisaitl was a more clear example to me of a young player who lost his confidence being thrust into pro competition too early. His return to Kelowna was vital to gaining confidence, belief and right sized competition to grow his immense talent to ready for NHL success.

Now if Broberg continues to show erratic or poor decision making in two-three years then I'm worried!

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad