Prospect Info: 2019 #11 - Victor Soderstrom, D

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's one thing for your first round picks to make it but what about picks in other rounds. You need some second/third/fourth rounders to make it and maybe even be stars. I dont know anyone in the pipeline here that fits that equation.
It's more of a sign of a good GM/scouting dept. for that to happen.
And I think Keller and Chychrun were excellent selections. Right now only Joseph seems to be a bust first round pick.
That has been a big problem for us. We need that second or third rounder to be a star. Have we ever had one? It would be nice to have two players from every draft pan out.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
That has been a big problem for us. We need that second or third rounder to be a star. Have we ever had one? It would be nice to have two players from every draft pan out.
when you're thin on overall talent AND you suck you hoard draft picks. It simply increases the odds you hit on some guys.
You're not a genius if you have some decent first rounders. That's not a sign you're a good GM.
The Yotes have little to show in players drafted beyond the first round.
Trading a second round pick is asinine for a guy you most likely would have had in your slot and if not there was an abundance of talented players that would have been there.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Buddy. Look at the McKenzie poll. Do you think he was rated in the top fifteen because every team had him 12-18? As we’ve seen, there’s more variance than that and it only takes one.

Krebs and Caufield? You are aware that they went after, correct? How does it make any sense to you to bring them up?

As far as I can tell, you’re the only person on earth who’s talking about Soderstrom being a reach at 11th.
I never said he was a reach. I said you didnt need to give up a second to get him. It's too much draft capital . WHEN you could have just waited and if someone did draft the kid just take a Krebs or Caufield. That's pretty easy to understand.

Still waiting for all your evidence that other teams wanted the kid so Johnny Hockey had to outsmart himself and move up.
And I'm glad your still not saying second round picks are useless.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I never said he was a reach. I said you didnt need to give up a second to get him. It's too much draft capital . WHEN you could have just waited and if someone did draft the kid just take a Krebs or Caufield. That's pretty easy to understand.
Time will tell, but if I had him ranked third, and I had a chance to get him at 11, and all it would cost me is a second rounder, I would jump on that. Chayka had him ranked much higher than you, so I see what you are saying, but if YOU had him ranked third, you probably would have done the same thing.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Time will tell, but if I had him ranked third, and I had a chance to get him at 11, and all it would cost me is a second rounder, I would jump on that. Chayka had him ranked much higher than you, so I see what you are saying, but if YOU had him ranked third, you probably would have done the same thing.
That's fair.
But having him ranked third is bizarre to me. He better be a star first pairing D in this league if that was the case.
Trust Johnny . Okay.

Reactions: cobra427

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That's fair.
But having him ranked third is bizarre to me. He better be a star first pairing D in this league if that was the case.
Trust Johnny . Okay.
And I think that’s really the issue. People can’t handle him having been ranked third on our list. I wish Chayka hadn’t have said it. Haha.

rt

May 13, 2004
I had Krebs third. When we moved up I thought it was for Krebs and I was happy.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004

Still waiting for all your evidence that other teams wanted the kid so Johnny Hockey had to outsmart himself and move up.
What you posted about second round picks did absolutely nothing but support my point 100%. What is 56%? Is that a majority? Damn man. Follow along.

You said nobody had Soderstrom ranked as highly as 11th. You have no evidence of that. I think several teams likely did. Ever heard of the McKenzie poll? Google it.

rt

May 13, 2004
when you're thin on overall talent AND you suck you hoard draft picks. It simply increases the odds you hit on some guys.
You're not a genius if you have some decent first rounders. That's not a sign you're a good GM.
The Yotes have little to show in players drafted beyond the first round.
Trading a second round pick is asinine for a guy you most likely would have had in your slot and if not there was an abundance of talented players that would have been there.
I wouldn’t have traded 45 and 14 for Soderstrom. But I didn’t have him third. I didn’t even have him 14th. Haha.

Reactions: YotesFan47

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
What you posted about second round picks did absolutely nothing but support my point 100%. What is 56%? Is that a majority? Damn man. Follow along.

You said nobody had Soderstrom ranked as highly as 11th. You have no evidence of that. I think several teams likely did. Ever heard of the McKenzie poll? Google it.
show me where I said nobody had Soderstrom ranked as high as 11? If I did my mistake. My point was always not necessary to give up a second for a guy who was sitting with a bunch of good prospects of which you could have had. Too much draft capital.
And you still dont like second round picks? Okay that's your opinion . I like them. you can get a lot of NHL'ers, some stars, as my research pointed out to you.
Not everyone is as bad as Chyka in drafting players after round one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
And I think that’s really the issue. People can’t handle him having been ranked third on our list. I wish Chayka hadn’t have said it. Haha.

I wish he didn't say that, either. Don't tell the player you picked "We really wish we could pick one of this two other guys, but the league told us we had to settle with you". It's wrong. Don't do that. Even if they know.

rt

May 13, 2004
I need to address this. This is a pathetic attempt to gaslight and I need to call you out.

Number One:
You are saying I said 2nd round picks are useless. This is a lie. You're intentionally misrepresenting in a desperate attempt to poorly defend your bad opinion.

Number Two:
You are saying that you never said he was a reach. This is a lie. You're intentionally misrepresenting in a desperate attempt to poorly defend your bad opinion.

Let's look at the first point from above:
My post original post on the 2nd rounders:
Do you know what the success rate is on mid-2nd round picks? Cherry picking two names, literally neither of whom are in the NHL, does not make your case. Most 2nd round picks are never worth a 2nd round pick again. Usually, the moment a team elects to burn a second on them, that represents the peak value they'll ever have as an asset. That's the most common outcome.

Your absurd defense that literally does nothing but support my statement 100%:
This from the TSN in canada:
Canada's The Sports Network (TSN) did a similar analysis with similar results, looking at draft picks from 2000 to 2009. Based on that analysis, TSN concluded that 80 percent of first-round picks become at least low-level NHL players, while 44 percent of those players selected in the second round make the NHL a career.

Is 56% usually? Is 56% most? That's what I thought. I was right and you were wrong. And yet you have this to say?:
You are saying I said 2nd round picks are useless. This is a lie. You're intentionally misrepresenting in a desperate attempt to poorly defend your bad opinion.
Where did I say 2nd round picks are useless? Gaslight attempt #1 FAILED. Go home and sleep it off.

Let's look at the 2nd point from above:
You never said he was a reach huh?
These are the type of guys Chyka misses out in going crazy for this swedish D nobody else was that high on.
What does that mean? If nobody was high on him and we took him early, is that not the definitely of a reach? How are you not saying he's a reach?

And yet we get this:
I never said he was a reach.
Hmmm...Gaslight attempt #2 FAILED.

Get your shit straight man.

Also - for the fifteenth time, his name is Chayka. Not Chyka.

Reactions: TakinMaattaOnMyRide

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
After reading the Athletic article, I'm on board with sending him back to Sweden if he doesn't force our hand in camp. The article kind of feels like they were hinting at that's where they're leaning towards as well.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
After reading the Athletic article, I'm on board with sending him back to Sweden if he doesn't force our hand in camp. The article kind of feels like they were hinting at that's where they're leaning towards as well.

Sweden was the ideal destination all along because top 4 minutes against men in an elite program is better than the AHL. Flat out.

A lot of euros don't have that guarentee so it makes sense to come to the CHL or AHL. Soderstrom has a primo spot saved for him.

It'd be different if he was playing for a small Allsvenskan program

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Sweden was the ideal destination all along because top 4 minutes against men in an elite program is better than the AHL. Flat out.

A lot of euros don't have that guarentee so it makes sense to come to the CHL or AHL. Soderstrom has a primo spot saved for him.

I just can't say I know much about the Swedish league, so it made me a bit skeptical. But it seems like Soda gets plugged into Byrnas' top pairing next year, which should open up his opportunity for offense immensely. Seems like their coach has a good head on his shoulders as well, and has churned out a few NHLers. I think putting him back there this year, and starting him in the A next year in hopes that he might be up in the middle of next year or at the start of the following season, feels like the curve that we might be hoping for here.

rt

May 13, 2004
9 games on our third pair before we send him back to Brynas to to play on their top pair sounds good. Especially since he should play a big role on the WJC team, too. A Broberg-Soderstrom top pair would be cool.

We have 12 games in October. First one is October third. Nine starts and three health bombs gets him a full month in the league. Then back to Brynas until Christmas. Then it’s WJC time.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
9 games on our third pair before we send him back to Brynas to to play on their top pair sounds good. Especially since he should play a big role on the WJC team, too. A Broberg-Soderstrom top pair would be cool.

We have 12 games in October. First one is October third. Nine starts and three health bombs gets him a full month in the league. Then back to Brynas until Christmas. Then it’s WJC time.

Hopefully he makes Goligoski expendable very quickly so we can move him out for another decent winger. I would still be considering that Carter for Goose trade pretty heavily but if it was going to happen it probably would have already

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
The third best player should make our team, no questions asked:)
Have to disagree until I look to see the frequency of 3oa making their team right after the draft. My instinct says that far more often than not (lets say roughly 75% of the time) a 3oa pick takes at least a year to make their NHL team. I'll follow up later tonight with my findings unless someone decides to beat me to it.

Edit: Unless I'm misunderstanding and you just mean they should make our team at some point, not their draft year in which case my bad.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Have to disagree until I look to see the frequency of 3oa making their team right after the draft. My instinct says that far more often than not (lets say roughly 75% of the time) a 3oa pick takes at least a year to make their NHL team. I'll follow up later tonight with my findings unless someone decides to beat me to it.

Edit: Unless I'm misunderstanding and you just mean they should make our team at some point, not their draft year in which case my bad.
I am saying this year. The third pick, especially now days, younger player are getting better coaching and are more prepared for the jump. 4 or more years ago maybe not, now days yes, that is the expectation. Chaka and Tocc were in on the pick, unlike Strome.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The third best player should make our team, no questions asked:)
Heiskanen didn't, and Makar drafted one spot behind didn't eithera and Juolevi picked 5 in 2016 still hasn't played a game. Some have made the jump and done very well, so let's see how it plays out in training camp, but to say he should make the team no questions asked because he was drafted third is a bit of ignorance on your part, unless you were being sarcastic. Playing D is probably the hardest position to play.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

rt

May 13, 2004
In the last five drafts, 12 D have gone top ten. Two of them stuck in the NHL the following season.

7. Hughes -no
8. Boqvist -no
10. Bouchard -no

3. Heiskanen -no
4. Makar -no

5. Juolevi -no
9. Sergachev -no

5. Hanifin -YES
7. Provorov -no
8. Werenski -no

1. Ekblad -YES
7. Fleury -no

^I'm not really seeing the precedent. :dunno:

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Judging how Ekblad and Hanifin haven't fully lived up to their hype i think it was a mistake for them to make the jump right away. I also wonder the same with Chychrun. I'd likely give Soderstrom a year and a half+ before bringing him up to the NHL.

Kyle003p

Dec 17, 2007
Peoria, Il
Judging how Ekblad and Hanifin haven't fully lived up to their hype i think it was a mistake for them to make the jump right away. I also wonder the same with Chychrun. I'd likely give Soderstrom a year and a half+ before bringing him up to the NHL.

I wonder how much of chychrun's injury history is due to him making the jump to the NHL so early. That's what concerns me most with players skipping a development year or two

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad