Prospect Info: 2019 #11 - Victor Soderstrom, D

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I doubt that. It looks like Broberg will be there, as an example. If Broberg is there and Soderstrom is not, there's something off (maybe injury?).

He's been rear-ended into a scorpion-infested gopher-hole already?

That is not good.

Let's hope it's something mundane. At least not an eye or a torn pectoral mucle. :rolleyes:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Philip Broberg was a top ten pick.
Nils Lundkvist was a first rounder.
Filip Johansson was a first rounder.
Tobias Bjornfot was a first rounder.
Axel Andersson was a 2nd rounder.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
That's what I meant by posting that list. I assume some of those other extremely high picks are going to be at their NHL camp, also.

Well, there is no point in taking players into the prelim if they are told "he will certainly not be in WCJ". And the other teams might have been less vocal about that.

rt

May 13, 2004
Well, there is no point in taking players into the prelim if they are told "he will certainly not be in WCJ". And the other teams might have been less vocal about that.
I can't imagine the Coyotes would prevent him from participating in the WJC unless he's already played over 10 NHL games and is a regular on the NHL roster.

Reactions: Jakey53

rickardr

Oct 10, 2016
Sweden
Having said all of that, an article on the NHL site from four weeks ago has Soderstrom on the roster. Not sure where @Hockeyfrilla is seing him as having been removed? Are these rosters on the IIHF site now? I wasn't able to locate rosters for this showcase last I checked.

World Junior Summer Showcase features top 2019 NHL Draft prospects

SWEDEN

GOALIES:
Jesper Eliasson, Vaxjo Jr., SWE-JR (Detroit Red Wings); Olof Lindbom, Djurgarden Jr., SWE-JR (New York Rangers); Erik Portillo, Frolunda Jr., SWE-JR (2019 draft eligible)

DEFENSEMEN:
Axel Andersson, Sodertalje, SWE-2 (Boston Bruins); Tobias Bjornfot, Djurgarden Jr., SWE-JR (2019 draft eligible), Philip Broberg, AIK, SWE-2 (2019 draft eligible); Adam Ginning, Linkoping, SWE (Philadelphia Flyers); Filip Johansson, Leksand, SWE-2 (Minnesota Wild); Nils Lundqvist, Lulea, SWE (New York Rangers); Mattias Norlinder, Modo Jr., SWE-JR (2019 draft eligible); Victor Soderstrom, Brynas, SHL (2019 draft eligible)

FORWARDS:
Oscar Back, Karlskoga, SWE-2 (Dallas Stars); Jonatan Berggren, Skelleftea, SWE (Detroit Red Wings); Filip Cederqvist, Vaxjo, SWE (2019 draft eligible), Albin Eriksson, Skelleftea, SWE (Dallas Stars); Samuel Fagemo, Frolunda, SWE (2019 draft eligible); David Gustafsson, HV 71, SWE (Winnipeg Jets); Filip Hallander, Timra, SWE (Pittsburgh Penguins); Karl Henriksson, Frolunda Jr., SWE-JR (2019 draft eligible); Alexander Holtz, Djurgarden Jr., SWE-JR (2020 draft eligible); Marcus Karlberg, Leksand, SWE-2 (Columbus Blue Jackets); Jacob Olofsson, Timra, SWE (Montreal Canadiens); Lucas Raymond, Frolunda Jr., SWE-JR (2020 draft eligible); Lukas Wernblom, Modo, SWE-2 (2019 draft eligible)
From team swedens official website..

http://www.swehockey.se/globalasset...july-augusti-2019/roster_swe_jul-aug_2019.pdf

Edit: My bad, double post.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Reactions: che

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I assume you all read swedish, or has gone for google-translate. But the big point with the article is NHL takes away the talent Sweden has developed, and gives nothing in return

It didn't feel like they actually evaluated the plan of putting him on the roster, more that they took it on face value.

Just confirmation that they took him out of the tournament to have him instead prepare for camp. You don't do that unless you think he has a shot at making the roster.

Reactions: Jakey53

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Generally you don’t do that either way. This smells funny to me.

It has been my impression Arizona has been of the most loyal to the system of sending players to play for their country. Under certain conditions, that is the agreement. Still, some teams are less likely to be eager, and more eager to make trouble. Perhaps there is a change in policy.

Now, that's me speculating again.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Does it smell like GMJC kinda guaranteed a spot for him like my nose detects? Even if it's in Tucson I think Sweden is the better league for him at this point in his development.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Apart from the WJC he has likely played his last amateur games. He'll either be in the AHL, NHL, or a top 4 in a men's league. They probably want him to offseason like a pro. And if there's any chance of him making the roster, they're not going to risk injury at a tournament, especially if they feel he is done with amateur hockey.

rt

May 13, 2004
Apart from the WJC he has likely played his last amateur games. He'll either be in the AHL, NHL, or a top 4 in a men's league. They probably want him to offseason like a pro. And if there's any chance of him making the roster, they're not going to risk injury at a tournament, especially if they feel he is done with amateur hockey.
That's a fine concept but it's a novel one. Teams don't do this.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That's a fine concept but it's a novel one. Teams don't do this.

Doesn't make it automatically bad. Judge it by the results.

Chayka is already hand picking these kids based mainly on their psychological profile and response to testing. I don't think Soderstrom sticks but I have no problem with him missing a single tournament.

Based on the Coyotes drafting history, some novelty might do some good.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I actually really like the concept of having your top prospects train with pro staff and understand what a pro offseason should look like. So does this mean he has been in AZ since rookie camp?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I actually really like the concept of having your top prospects train with pro staff and understand what a pro offseason should look like.

I would not be surprised if one of the combine questions asked by AZ was: "If selected by our organization, how would you feel about being asked to train with the team this summer?"

I don't think it's really a coincidence that Hayton and Soderstrom both come off as the type that would answer "hell yeah" in a super eager way. They are both hockey nerds and don't need to be poked or prodded about training or studying. There's a pattern that fits both and it's very deliberate on the part of the organization. I suspect any waffling about such a question would be a huge mark against a prospect.

Given what they went through with guys like Perlini, it's totally understandable and potentially an edge the scouting department has found. Only time will tell.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
So whats the deal with Soderstrom whats holding him back from being an NHL regular?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad