Prospect Info: 2019 #11 - Victor Soderstrom, D

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Remember they had the mini rink painted in the middle of the locker room floor??

The story was players could not step onto it on game days because it was bad luck. The rink is no longer there and players walk all over the place.

Hmmmmm...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Judging how Ekblad and Hanifin haven't fully lived up to their hype i think it was a mistake for them to make the jump right away. I also wonder the same with Chychrun. I'd likely give Soderstrom a year and a half+ before bringing him up to the NHL.
Physically, they were both ready and I think Ekblad has done very well, but with Hanifin I was surprised he played his first year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I wish he didn't say that, either. Don't tell the player you picked "We really wish we could pick one of this two other guys, but the league told us we had to settle with you". It's wrong. Don't do that. Even if they know.
Really? These kids are just happy to be drafted. There are probably bragging rights going first and second, but other than that no biggie.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Brian Burke is immature as well and has a giant ego that needs to be fed by pounding his chest, like Chayka just did. Chayka is saying, "look at how smart I am, I got the third best player at 11th". lets wait until he becomes the third best player before he can make that claim. I am sure other GM's like him and think he is a nice kid, and at the same time looking forward to making trades with him. I agree that all GM's are confident, but let the picks/trades speak for themselves before you self proclaim as a genius. Maybe he is deep down unsure of the pick, so he is trying to validate it with his statements.

I remember the 2012 draft when the Leafs (Burke) took Morgan Rielly at 5 and then proclaimed they had him at No. 1 on their list (ahead of guys like Yakupov, Galchenyuk, etc.). A lot of eye rolling at the time. Looks like it was probably true now.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I remember the 2012 draft when the Leafs (Burke) took Morgan Rielly at 5 and then proclaimed they had him at No. 1 on their list (ahead of guys like Yakupov, Galchenyuk, etc.). A lot of eye rolling at the time. Looks like it was probably true now.

And it might just take that long to figure out if Chayka was right on Hayton/Soderstrom. Which is annoying cause just playing the odds he'll likely be gone by then for other reasons.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I kinda like how Perlini took one of his own ("going to a real hockey market") and now he's likely done in Chicago already.

They must have qualified him, as he sits with the RFA-sign on Capfriendly?

Unless that offer has expired, he could still sign?

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He's qualified but not signed yet. The rumor is the Hawks are shopping him. Most Hawks fans don't have Perlini in their mock lineups. Mostly because they have 8 wingers who are better (or better fits).

Perlini seems like the classic all tools, no toolbox player. The hockey IQ just isn't there (which was supposedly the No. 1 criteria on Tim Bernhardt's prospect checklist). He could score all kinds of goals in the AHL where the game is slower, but when things ramped up in the NHL, it was all over.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
He's qualified but not signed yet. The rumor is the Hawks are shopping him. Most Hawks fans don't have Perlini in their mock lineups. Mostly because they have 8 wingers who are better (or better fits).

Perlini seems like the classic all tools, no toolbox player. The hockey IQ just isn't there (which was supposedly the No. 1 criteria on Tim Bernhardt's prospect checklist). He could score all kinds of goals in the AHL where the game is slower, but when things ramped up in the NHL, it was all over.
Perlini has the tools to be a very good NHL player. He's fast and strong with a heavy shot. But like you say it's lacking upstairs. That's why I had such a hard time evaluating him. I could always tell when coaching a player just what his mental makeup was like. But with Perlini I was just an observer. He's got virtually no pride at the compete level and reminds me of Duclair.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I wonder how much of chychrun's injury history is due to him making the jump to the NHL so early. That's what concerns me most with players skipping a development year or two
Good observation but I doubt it. He looks like a guy who trains to have a beach body. I bet it's his training.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

I read that second paragraph like a Linkin Park song.

If I recall, when he was drafted a lot of us were up in arms about the pick. Wasn't he sliding on a lot of draft boards?

Reactions: Mosby

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I would like to hear our (former) scouts' rationale for selecting Perlini ahead of Larkin. Chayka's obsession with premium positions surely would have paid off there.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I would like to hear our (former) scouts' rationale for selecting Perlini ahead of Larkin. Chayka's obsession with premium positions surely would have paid off there.

Best guess is sniping ability. He has an excellent shot. I am also assuming that the scouting department was still at it's most barren form, so there is a good chance a list by Button was just followed by order.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Wont be attending the summer showcase for some reason..removed from the roster.

I assume you are back on subject, and you mean VS is sent back?

I've been trying to google up something on the Swedish pages, but I haven't found anything so far. Only thing is I want to say (in case you don't know) Coyotes is highly respected, no comments of the type "wish he was drafted by Boston" or something (you knew this of course.)

But they do seem to think he should have had one more year in Sweden first. Perhaps Yotes has come to the same conclusion?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I assume you are back on subject, and you mean VS is sent back?

I've been trying to google up something on the Swedish pages, but I haven't found anything so far. Only thing is I want to say (in case you don't know) Coyotes is highly respected, no comments of the type "wish he was drafted by Boston" or something (you knew this of course.)

But they do seem to think he should have had one more year in Sweden first. Perhaps Yotes has come to the same conclusion?
He means the World Juniors summer show case. The WJC teams do more or less a preliminary camp during the summer. Soderstrom not being at the WJC showcase is a little strange.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Having said all of that, an article on the NHL site from four weeks ago has Soderstrom on the roster. Not sure where @Hockeyfrilla is seing him as having been removed? Are these rosters on the IIHF site now? I wasn't able to locate rosters for this showcase last I checked.

World Junior Summer Showcase features top 2019 NHL Draft prospects

SWEDEN

GOALIES:
Jesper Eliasson, Vaxjo Jr., SWE-JR (Detroit Red Wings); Olof Lindbom, Djurgarden Jr., SWE-JR (New York Rangers); Erik Portillo, Frolunda Jr., SWE-JR (2019 draft eligible)

DEFENSEMEN:
Axel Andersson, Sodertalje, SWE-2 (Boston Bruins); Tobias Bjornfot, Djurgarden Jr., SWE-JR (2019 draft eligible), Philip Broberg, AIK, SWE-2 (2019 draft eligible); Adam Ginning, Linkoping, SWE (Philadelphia Flyers); Filip Johansson, Leksand, SWE-2 (Minnesota Wild); Nils Lundqvist, Lulea, SWE (New York Rangers); Mattias Norlinder, Modo Jr., SWE-JR (2019 draft eligible); Victor Soderstrom, Brynas, SHL (2019 draft eligible)

FORWARDS:
Oscar Back, Karlskoga, SWE-2 (Dallas Stars); Jonatan Berggren, Skelleftea, SWE (Detroit Red Wings); Filip Cederqvist, Vaxjo, SWE (2019 draft eligible), Albin Eriksson, Skelleftea, SWE (Dallas Stars); Samuel Fagemo, Frolunda, SWE (2019 draft eligible); David Gustafsson, HV 71, SWE (Winnipeg Jets); Filip Hallander, Timra, SWE (Pittsburgh Penguins); Karl Henriksson, Frolunda Jr., SWE-JR (2019 draft eligible); Alexander Holtz, Djurgarden Jr., SWE-JR (2020 draft eligible); Marcus Karlberg, Leksand, SWE-2 (Columbus Blue Jackets); Jacob Olofsson, Timra, SWE (Montreal Canadiens); Lucas Raymond, Frolunda Jr., SWE-JR (2020 draft eligible); Lukas Wernblom, Modo, SWE-2 (2019 draft eligible)

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
He means the World Juniors summer show case. The WJC teams do more or less a preliminary camp during the summer. Soderstrom not being at the WJC showcase is a little strange.

No, that means the Swedish bosses has been told he will make the Coyotes for the full year, don't it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad