OT: 2018 Weather Thread

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Smike was really bad today in GP. The sky was an orange/grey for most of the day and the street lights were on for a big chunk of the morning. I have ash all over my vehicle.

Thankfully the smoke starting to clear. Would be nice to enjoy this nice weather before the snow flies in 12 weeks or so.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
It wasnt too bad last night. But its pretty nasty right now. My nose started bleeding lol.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
This smoke is BRUTAL.
I really do appreciate the heat... But this smoke has got to go.

As an aside: Anyone know what environmental/geographical (other than westerly winds) phenomena makes the Edmonton Metropolitan Region a resting place for the smoke? I was driving back from Jasper last weekend, and noticed a road sign and read something along the lines of "warning: smoke next Xkm" which made me think there must be some phenomena that makes smoke from fires so far away from here settle.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
How far is this fire or fires from Edmonton? How many acres are burning a day, etc?

B.C. wildfires map 2018: Current location of wildfires around the province

As of Friday, Aug. 10, there are 37 “wildfires of note” burning across B.C.
Eight are in the Kamloops Fire Centre, which includes the Okanagan, eight in the Cariboo Fire Centre, six in the Southeast Fire Centre, five in the Prince George Fire Centre, nine in the Northwest Fire Centre and one in the Coastal Fire Centre.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
This smoke is BRUTAL.
I really do appreciate the heat... But this smoke has got to go.

As an aside: Anyone know what environmental/geographical (other than westerly winds) phenomena makes the Edmonton Metropolitan Region a resting place for the smoke? I was driving back from Jasper last weekend, and noticed a road sign and read something along the lines of "warning: smoke next Xkm" which made me think there must be some phenomena that makes smoke from fires so far away from here settle.

Usually when you see those signs it's because there is a controlled burn going on nearby.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Forecast was that the smoke was going to clear up today... so much for that, I guess.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
B.C. wildfires map 2018: Current location of wildfires around the province

As of Friday, Aug. 10, there are 37 “wildfires of note” burning across B.C.
Eight are in the Kamloops Fire Centre, which includes the Okanagan, eight in the Cariboo Fire Centre, six in the Southeast Fire Centre, five in the Prince George Fire Centre, nine in the Northwest Fire Centre and one in the Coastal Fire Centre.

Thanks, hopefully they get some decent rain in BC soon. That's brutal.

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
Certainly been a brutal few days around here with all the heat and smoke, thought it was supposed to clear up but today it seemed much worse than the past few days. Looking down the streets when I was out, visibility was cut in half like there was some fairly heavy fog going on. Oddly enough while I usually hate hot weather, every now and then I go through a stretch where I don't feel it and that seemed to be happening today, the heat barely bugged me...but the damn smoke stopped me from enjoying it. First time smoke in the air has ever given me some actual pain when breathing too deeply. At least the weather forecast is calling for it to cool off and rain over the weekend, so hopefully that comes true.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Could be worse - a meteor could strike the Earth and we could have smoke 1000x worse than this for the next 100 years.

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
Knowing that we haven't yet witnessed an apocalyptic disaster forcing us to live out what's left of our meager lives in filth and despair will help us all sleep better at night, I'm sure.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Knowing that we haven't yet witnessed an apocalyptic disaster forcing us to live out what's left of our meager lives in filth and despair will help us all sleep better at night, I'm sure.

I try. ;)

Just putting it in perspective, lol.

Last edited:

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006

Well. Its only August.. theres still some hope.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Smike was really bad today in GP. The sky was an orange/grey for most of the day and the street lights were on for a big chunk of the morning. I have ash all over my vehicle.

Thankfully the smoke starting to clear. Would be nice to enjoy this nice weather before the snow flies in 12 weeks or so.

Yeah, it's cleared up a fair bit this morning. A friend and I drove to Wembley to play a round of golf in the morning and the visibility was the shits.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, it's cleared up a fair bit this morning. A friend and I drove to Wembley to play a round of golf in the morning and the visibility was the ****s.

I woke up this am and its like whats this, its air that I can breathe. My nostrils were plugging solid yesterday. lungs weren't wanting much of the thick smoky air, and this AM I'm all cleared up. totally different air quality today. It rained the slightest bit last night. Took out a bit of the smoke and some breeze did the rest.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Somehow this post reminded me of the 1960's, chance of nuclear annihilation, detonation dawn, and "increased chances of nuclear fall out showers forecast today" There was more going on then for a kid then being scared of monsters in the closet..

We used to go to school to get traumatized with the latest Nuclear attack drills and the terror of the Nuclear attack sirens. Hide under your desk kids....We'd do a drill with a siren and the whole neighborhood would get freaked..

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Somehow this post reminded me of the 1960's, chance of nuclear annihilation, detonation dawn, and "increased chances of nuclear fall out showers forecast today" There was more going on then for a kid then being scared of monsters in the closet..

We used to go to school to get traumatized with the latest Nuclear attack drills and the terror of the Nuclear attack sirens. Hide under your desk kids....We'd do a drill with a siren and the whole neighborhood would get freaked..
Those were a little before my time but I would have loved to have heard the rationale from the authorities on how the children would be safer under their desks in the event of a nuclear attack. All we got when I went to school was an explanation of why Edmonton would be one of the first cities to be hit because of our refineries and our chemical plants. Thats how we were terrorized. No need to mention hiding under our desks.:laugh:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

These days we are smart enough to know that no one would want to waste a nuclear bomb on Edmonton.

At least not until well into the war. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Those were a little before my time but I would have loved to have heard the rationale from the authorities on how the children would be safer under their desks in the event of a nuclear attack. All we got when I went to school was an explanation of why Edmonton would be one of the first cities to be hit because of our refineries and our chemical plants. Thats how we were terrorized. No need to mention hiding under our desks.:laugh:
Its the same rationale as lifejackets on an airplane. How many planes that are not floatplanes withstand water crashes? Yeah, Sully, I know. Its window dressing.

But the hide under the desks thing was one of those kind of platitudes. A false sense of security or safety being sold and we laughed it off then as much as now. Ithink the problem was that in safety protocol they pretty much just copy pasted Tornado kinds of response. Ours was a cheap ass school that would fall apart like a deck of cards if any such strong wind blew on it. But in such cases with no basement they tell you to hide in a bathtub or under a bed or furniture, or school desk. A modicum of help. Albeit its amazing how often toilets and bathtubs will be the only thing left standing if a fire or tornado sweeps through.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

What school did you go to that had nuclear attack drills in the 60s? I went to school in the 60s and have never heard or witnessed such a thing.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Could be worse - a meteor could strike the Earth and we could have smoke 1000x worse than this for the next 100 years.

Or Yellowstone could turn into a giant ash hole. Isn't that supposed to wipe out everything within 1000-2000km? It would be so dark, we wouldn't see the smoke.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What school did you go to that had nuclear attack drills in the 60s? I went to school in the 60s and have never heard or witnessed such a thing.

Such drills were occurring in schools nationwide. I had multiple of them during my Elementary years. The first one I had was afairc grade 3. They are depicted in this article in a clear picture of kids hiding under desks as prescribed;

‘This is a real emergency’: Chilling artifacts from when Canada prepared for nuclear annihilation

Edmonton and Ottawa were considered potential target areas. Ottawa due to being National Capitol. Edmonton due to Oil and gas, refineries, petrochemical industry.

This is a US video we had to watch in school. They also showed us the specific cartoon mentioned in the video. Still remember this one;

ps I wonder if anybody here knows there is even a Nuclear Bomb shelter in the west end in Mckenzie ravine?

Edmonton's Cold War command centre sealed tight, but not forgotten | CBC News

Canadian preserved full video duck and cover content;

Canadian Civil Defence Museum And Archives – Preserving The Canadian Civil Defence Emergency Preparedness History

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedingOil

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille