OT: 2018 Weather Thread

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Our weather took a disturbing turn. I hate to see what people think that came to Edmonton for the first time this weekend.

Some did for the Folk Festival. Every day of which was not pleasant weather. Either Over 30 and thick smoke or 12C and raining. I wasn't there but apparently the weather on the hill was pretty unbearable and a lot of people left or didn't show on some of the days. Pictures of yesterday and theres some tarps scattered around and not at all densely packed. Maybe 1/4 of capacity were there.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Some did for the Folk Festival. Every day of which was not pleasant weather. Either Over 30 and thick smoke or 12C and raining. I wasn't there but apparently the weather on the hill was pretty unbearable and a lot of people left or didn't show on some of the days. Pictures of yesterday and theres some tarps scattered around and not at all densely packed. Maybe 1/4 of capacity were there.

There was definitely a much smaller turn out than usual for the Sunday. I've been going religiously for about 10 year now and it was definitely the smallest turnout I've seen for any day. The Thursday/Friday/Saturday felt as busy as ever. Honestly I was pretty impressed with the crowd yesterday though. It rained basically nonstop from about 9:30am until 8 or so.

There have been times it's rained at the folk fest in the times I've been going. But it's almost exclusively been a fairly short summer storm, or a bit of rain for an hour or so. Never have I been where it rained for the entire rain. Definitely changes the day. All of a sudden you've got to factor in if you want to walk through a hundreds of feet of disgusting mud if you want to switch side stages between acts. I definitely did not to as many different stages yesterday than I normally would on a Sunday.

Still a great weekend though. Always is for me. Folk fest is probably the highlight of the year for me. Sucks we've had back to back years of kind of shit weather though. Last year the Thursday was cancelled after the first act (another first for me) and it poured on the Sunday night. This year the extreme heat on the Thursday/Friday and the cold on the Sunday.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There was definitely a much smaller turn out than usual for the Sunday. I've been going religiously for about 10 year now and it was definitely the smallest turnout I've seen for any day. The Thursday/Friday/Saturday felt as busy as ever. Honestly I was pretty impressed with the crowd yesterday though. It rained basically nonstop from about 9:30am until 8 or so.

There have been times it's rained at the folk fest in the times I've been going. But it's almost exclusively been a fairly short summer storm, or a bit of rain for an hour or so. Never have I been where it rained for the entire rain. Definitely changes the day. All of a sudden you've got to factor in if you want to walk through a hundreds of feet of disgusting mud if you want to switch side stages between acts. I definitely did not to as many different stages yesterday than I normally would on a Sunday.

Still a great weekend though. Always is for me. Folk fest is probably the highlight of the year for me. Sucks we've had back to back years of kind of **** weather though. Last year the Thursday was cancelled after the first act (another first for me) and it poured on the Sunday night. This year the extreme heat on the Thursday/Friday and the cold on the Sunday.
The weekend weather in general in Edmonton has been deplorable in summer. Seems like any event being impacted. I'm counting days with advisories of any kind. Heat advisory, thunder, rain, smoke. The crazy thing is how it went from 33C to 12C in the space of one day.

I figured the mud would be really bad by Sunday. All the weather is different now including stationary storms. Like the massive one they had in the GTA. Its killer weather when stuff like that happens.

EFMF seemed to have a decent lineup this year and yet 15% reduced ticket sales. For many years you could hardly get a ticket for the Folk Festival. Now all days are available for sale but people are strapped financially right now. Festival prices seem high now even though they're much the same prices as when it was selling out every year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I assume they are trying to fight the fires with water drops from planes/helicopters? Is everything just super dry in BC or is it windy as well?

BC interior is increasingly dry, East side of the rockies is also typically hotter, and drier, than the west side. So that everywhere from Valemont to Radium south to almost Fernie is very dry. Then you have entire regions around the interior in areas like Okanagan through to Kamloops that are always arid and hot. That area seems to be increasing. These are also some of the hottest places in the country. Add deforestation, pine beetles to the mix and you have increasingly dead or dying or weakened forest systems. Mostly in the Southern half of BC you also have so much encroachment of population, agriculture, and copious use of water, less forest in those areas.

BC has always been a hotspot for fires. But the increased temps, increased aridity and a lot of forests are a powder keg. On both sides of the rockies campfire bans have been almost permanent now. This also unheard of. We have complete series of seasons now when there are fire bans in the National Parks (and I support this fully even though I am a camper because its the necessary thing to do)

Rather than wind alone I would say heat, dryness, and forests that have been impacted for a longtime now are the main factors. When a coniferous forest is sick and dying it becomes a lethal powderkeg. So the health of the forest ecosystem is for sure a contributing factor.

Coniferous forest fires do not need high wind speeds to spread. Any wind at all will distribute peak ember fire and can easily cross roads, rivers due to this. A burning ember from a 100ft tree can be carried a fair distance with even low to moderate wind. Burned bow branches of trees can sort of float in the air as they don't weigh much at that point. So that they actually sail in the air floating to the next bit of forest to burn. Fire can also spread underground and embers can stay hot for almost a year underground in coniferous forest. So many problems trying to fight these.

One other factor as far as National Parks and protected forests is that for decades fire prevention was emphasized and fires were put out as quick as possible. Now burns are more allowed and required. Longstanding coniferous forests NEED fires to be reborn. Without which they become choked and not allow many new trees to grow. So that now fires are even started as prescriptive burns to eliminate swaths of dead or dying or diseased forests. But right now they can't even do much of that because of all the fires burning every year.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Looks like the game Fallout out there...:laugh:
I know eh. It’s unreal. RADS +10

This is the first day I can really feel it in my body. Woke up completely congested with a terrible headache. Not going to work today due to environmental reasons lol. That has got to be a first for me. Just wild stuff.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
I ******* love it for some reason.

Edit.

Took this around 8 am

Dkpr_7OU0AEFkfa.jpg

Last edited:

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hiding under a desk could help during a nuclear attack, depending on where you are located. If you're on the edges of the blast radius, it might protect you from glass and falling debris. Most people wouldn't be in that specific zone, but a lot would be.

Smoke sucks.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
How far east do I have to go to escape this smoke? Is Nova Scotia far enough? I love Nova Scotia.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Woke up at 4am from a deep sleep literally thinking I was choking. The sudden amount of excessive smoke wafting in the house cause mucus to form in throat. Literally felt like I had something caught in my windpipe which was even possible (mucus) Had to cough and hack and run some hot water and drink some water to clear it out. Could not go back to sleep for an hour. This is nuts.

To the person that said they happen to like this you do realize that as you age anything like this impacts you much more and that anybody that has lung, respiratory, heart, circulatory issues or asthma, chronic obstruction, bronchitis ets is severely adversely impacted by this.

Really save your comments for how much you love something that kills people. jebus

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I know eh. It’s unreal. RADS +10

This is the first day I can really feel it in my body. Woke up completely congested with a terrible headache. Not going to work today due to environmental reasons lol. That has got to be a first for me. Just wild stuff.

Strange thing is last week the air quality readings were 10 for an extended time. This one is 8 from what I'm seeing. Still very bad but not as bac as last week however I am more impacted by this one because my air passages were irritated by last week and now this one hits.

Heres an interesting question. Does resultant air quality of forest fires ever become such an issue that it alters how the fires are dealt with? i.e. are there some remote fires that they should just let burn now? Burn clean. Some dense particulate smoke comes from actual intense fire fighting in many regions. Allow a fire to burn unrestrained and burn real efficiently and it creates less smoke. As the firefighting intensifies does it make the smoke concentrations worse at any given time? Nest do the reagents and Pejorative Slurants used in fire fighting contribute to the smoke being even much more toxic Just wondering.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A guy at work told me this smoke is killing him.

Smokes just under a pack of cigs a day.:huh:

When a person is experiencing symptoms from smoking they can slow down or stop, use a filter, chew tobacco, use Nicorette etc. Difficult to do but possible. This is worse because no options for it are available. This is what concerns me as well. We are a City of 1.3M people and the COE is making no options available. Hospital emergency wards are overrun with people and over 10hr waits. What exactly are people suffering supposed to do other than choke on this stuff?

This is so bad that the COE should be setting up regional filtered air tents or facilities so that people can come in and breathe cleaner air. This is necessary at this point. Not even malls are doing that well because doors are constantly being opened.

Which leaves me to believe as well that such places as Rexall Place should exist and continue to as potential emergency facilities if nothing else.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
When a person is experiencing symptoms from smoking they can slow down or stop, use a filter, chew tobacco, use Nicorette etc. Difficult to do but possible. This is worse because no options for it are available. This is what concerns me as well. We are a City of 1.3M people and the COE is making no options available. Hospital emergency wards are overrun with people and over 10hr waits. What exactly are people suffering supposed to do other than choke on this stuff?

This is so bad that the COE should be setting up regional filtered air tents or facilities so that people can come in and breathe cleaner air. This is necessary at this point. Not even malls are doing that well because doors are constantly being opened.

Which leaves me to believe as well that such places as Rexall Place should exist and continue to as potential emergency facilities if nothing else.
That is never going to happen. If people are in that dire straits they can go to WEM or City Center mall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad