OT: 2018 Weather Thread

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
That is never going to happen. If people are in that dire straits they can go to WEM or City Center mall.

Malls don't even cut it for the reasons I mentioned. Too many people entering exiting. Went to a Mall last week when this was happening and although it was somewhat better so many people were doing the same thing the doors were almost constantly open and packed malls.

Plus you have to drive or take the bus to go to those malls. For people experiencing worse symptoms even venturing outside is not too recommended.

The kicker is we weren't given proper notice of this one. Last week we had proper notice to shut all our windows. Had no advance notice of this one.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Malls don't even cut it for the reasons I mentioned. Too many people entering exiting. Went to a Mall last week when this was happening and although it was somewhat better so many people were doing the same thing the doors were almost constantly open and packed malls.

The kicker is we weren't given proper notice of this one. Last week we had proper notice to shut all our windows. Had no advance notice of this one.
Come on man. You need notice to shut your window? Look out the f***ing window and you can see it should be closed.

Also those stupid apps haven't shutup since Monday morning, so ya there has been proper notice.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
When a person is experiencing symptoms from smoking they can slow down or stop, use a filter, chew tobacco, use Nicorette etc. Difficult to do but possible. This is worse because no options for it are available. This is what concerns me as well. We are a City of 1.3M people and the COE is making no options available. Hospital emergency wards are overrun with people and over 10hr waits. What exactly are people suffering supposed to do other than choke on this stuff?

This is so bad that the COE should be setting up regional filtered air tents or facilities so that people can come in and breathe cleaner air. This is necessary at this point. Not even malls are doing that well because doors are constantly being opened.

Which leaves me to believe as well that such places as Rexall Place should exist and continue to as potential emergency facilities if nothing else.
They won’t do that. It’s not a city role. Not that they couldn’t, but they won’t.

We were in Beijing a few year ago. This reminds me of their smog.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Come on man. You need notice to shut your window? Look out the ****ing window and you can see it should be closed.

Also those stupid apps haven't shutup since Monday morning, so ya there has been proper notice.

At dusk last night it wasn't like this. The air quality was fine last night. I was outside on the deck until 11. Beautiful out and literally zero detectable smoke. I always have the windows open at night during summer. I love it to cool down indoors.

I'm not good with tech. I don't get advisories, I have to check sites manually. Given that I thought the air quality was fine I didn't check since yesterday at around 6pm. The sites I was using were reporting a peak of 7 which general doesn't impact me. I should have taken screenshots.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
At dusk last night it wasn't like this. The air quality was fine last night. I was outside on the deck until 11. Beautiful out and literally zero detectable smoke. I always have the windows open at night during summer. I love it to cool down indoors.

I'm not good with tech. I don't get advisories, I have to check sites manually. Given that I thought the air quality was fine I didn't check since yesterday at around 6pm. The sites I was using were reporting a peak of 7 which general doesn't impact me. I should have taken screenshots.
It wasn't this bad yesterday, but I could smell smoke all day when I was outside.

Not sure what more you could really ask for. Especially if the last time you checked was at 6pm. Really on you if you are keeping your windows open when there has been smoke around for the past 2 or 3 weeks except a couple of days.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
They won’t do that. It’s not a city role.

We were in Beijing a few year ago. This reminds me of their smog.

Technically yes, not a public role. Province isn't doing anything either.

Its interesting. We have shelters for people that need to come in from the cold and we make special provisions available civically for that even including sending vans, busses out to go to areas where people are living outdoors and pick them up and take them safely to shelters so that they can spend nights in some comfort. The City does all that, which is good. I think that anybody thinking what is going on now isn't just as serious an issue has not experienced any of the symptoms.

I do think these worst ever air quality events that we are seeing now chronically. (Edmonton record broken several times in last week) will result in reconsideration of what emergent options should be occurring for people. Until then this province and jurisdiction are entirely unprepared for this emergency. At +10 even those without health problems are impacted. those that are having health problems are severely impacted.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
It wasn't this bad yesterday, but I could smell smoke all day when I was outside.

Not sure what more you could really ask for. Especially if the last time you checked was at 6pm. Really on you if you are keeping your windows open when there has been smoke around for the past 2 or 3 weeks except a couple of days.

The air quality was near perfect the last 3 days. It was around 2. So yeah like most people I figured we were done with the worst seeing that it had cleared up and that entire Western Canada had seen pretty substantial rain that cleared up the skies remarkably. Yeah I guess its my fault not assuming we have apocalyptic never before seen RECORD smoke levels here again this week. mybad…I should expect an apocalyptic extinction event next week I guess. Or for the sky to be on fire..

This oncoming smoke event wasn't even on the news yesterday.

Like I said last week they did a very good job alerting people of the rising smoke levels. This rise was more severe, going from around 3-10 in mere hours and wasn't as widely reported or detected.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The air quality was near perfect the last 3 days. It was around 2. So yeah like most people I figured we were done with the worst seeing that it had cleared up and that entire Western Canada had seen pretty substantial rain that cleared up the skies remarkably. Yeah I guess its my fault not assuming we have apocalyptic never before seen RECORD smoke levels here again this week. mybad…I should expect an apocalyptic extinction event next week I guess. Or for the sky to be on fire..

This oncoming smoke event wasn't even on the news yesterday.

Like I said last week they did a very good job alerting people of the rising smoke levels. This rise was more severe, going from around 3-10 in mere hours and wasn't as widely reported or detected.
Yet on here yesterday morning someone complained about the smoke.

Don't think there is anything this world could do to make you happy with this smoke

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Yet on here yesterday morning someone complained about the smoke.

Don't think there is anything this world could do to make you happy with this smoke

The air quality here in Edmonton yesterday morning was 3-4 as per several sources. Levels that are not of general concern. If the poster had forewarning of this reaching +10 perhaps that information could get disseminated in a weather thread as I am doing.

What would make me happy on behalf of people suffering with this today would be for this to have been on the news, radio, online etc as an advisory. Several weather and news sources totally missed an appropriate advance advisory on this one. I'm merely suffering discomfort. Tragically people will have much worse suffering due to this smoke.

None of the dailys have any news on this. Papers are printed at around midnight. News finals are around 11pm. if there was an advisory of +10 this should have been front page news in every news source. NONE of them printed it. Just saying. 11am, 6pm news yesterday didn't report it, just saying

All news outlets dropped the ball on reporting the worst air quality in the recorded history of Edmonton which is happening right now as we speak. yeah, I would think this should have been news..

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Smoke was here. Apps had warnings since Monday. To be shocked that it got worse overnight is all on you. You've live in Alberta long enough to see how quickly a storm can blow in. The smoke is no different.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Smoke was here. Apps had warnings since Monday. To be shocked that it got worse overnight is all on you. You've live in Alberta long enough to see how quickly a storm can blow in. The smoke is no different.

meh. You don't get it. You apparently have no conception that people would not expect the worst ever temps last week, worst ever smoke this week and last week and especially when its not being reported in any sources.

I don't have the latest hitech smartphones and apps. Most seniors don't either. That's why its incumbent on news sourses to actually report the news, so that people can know when something like this is occurring.

The province and Feds have been trying to develop an emergency broadcast system that works on all smartphones. I haven't gotten one of the messages, not one, neither has my wife, we have different smartphones, coverage, and this have reported this to our providers, to source. They simply don't know why the reports are not getting through. This is 2018. This is WORSE than when we had public fire or alarm sirens that people could at least hear.

lol at Global just minutes ago saying the smoke advisory is 9 when its +10 and has been that for several hours.

Now if you don't mind if you could stop besmirching people for not checking sources that were not adequately reporting this. Your serving no purpose other than chiding right now which you know. On the other hand I'm reporting how bad this event is to anybody that happens to be reading.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I’m siding with @Drivesaitl on this. The elderly are most affected and many (he and I excepted; not saying we’re elderly) aren’t online much or are as savvy. I’m pretty attuned and today’s nastiness caught me off guard.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
City has closed all pools. Shut right down. Indoor and outdoor apparently. Air quality in Rec Centers also problematic and COE work out facilities being shut as well, possibly due to liabilities and advisories for people not to be exerting in these conditions. Some reports of people being sent home from construction sites, roofing, outdoor jobs. Apparently its literally next to impossible to expect people to do physical labor in these conditions. haven't heard any reports of other types of jobs shutting down today.

edit. The COE pools and rec closures were reported on Global and CBC. COE cite is not updated yet on their advisories. But I expect they all are closed.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I’m siding with @Drivesaitl on this. The elderly are most affected and many (he and I excepted; not saying we’re elderly) aren’t online much or are as savvy. I’m pretty attuned and today’s nastiness caught me off guard.
You guys are online throughout the day. Lets not pretend you are in a nursing home and don't know what a computer is.

Are you guys also blind and have no smell? There was clearly smoke in Edmonton since Monday. Common sense tells you that when you wake up things could be better, the same or worse. You leave your window open, that's all on you.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
This is your govt of Canada advisory. (this akin to advising people AFTER a Tornado or Nuclear bombing) Note 10;43 advisory. This advisory subsequent to countless people reporting the conditions TO them.

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?ab33

Its helpful information for everybody to read. Would have been more helpful if it preceded the event.

They are also advising people to check this cite but don't even provide a hotlink, lol.

Air Quality Health Index - Canada.ca

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
You guys are online throughout the day. Lets not pretend you are in a nursing home and don't know what a computer is.

Are you guys also blind and have no smell? There was clearly smoke in Edmonton since Monday. Common sense tells you that when you wake up things could be better, the same or worse. You leave your window open, that's all on you.

Can you please stop with these false admonishments? The air quality, again, was fine yesterday all day. I was outside suffering no symptoms whatsoever. When I checked it was no more than 3-4 all day yesterday. It was beautiful on my deck at 11pm, was a clear sunset earlier, hardly any smoke at all.

Guess what? I actually went to sleep last night as people do. You know what? I wasn't actually checking hourly smoke advisories in my dreams. Nor do I have an app that shuts my windows as I sleep or that segues my dreams to sleepwalk me to do this..;)

The air quality was 2 on Monday. It was 3-4 yesterday vast majority of the day. Maybe it changed around midnight after I was asleep. So stop making up fiction about this.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Can you please stop with these false admonishments? The air quality, again, was fine yesterday all day. I was outside suffering no symptoms whatsoever. When I checked it was no more than 3-4 all day yesterday. It was beautiful on my deck at 11pm, was a clear sunset earlier, hardly any smoke at all.

Guess what? I actually went to sleep last night as people do. You know what? I wasn't actually checking hourly smoke advisories in my dreams. Nor do I have an app that shuts my windows as I sleep or that segues my dreams to sleepwalk me to do this..;)

The air quality was 2 on Monday. It was 3-4 yesterday vast majority of the day. Maybe it changed around midnight after I was asleep. So stop making up fiction about this.
It's not fiction. You could smell and see smoke all day. I received numerous alerts on my phone, so obviously I wasn't seeing or smelling things.

But I will leave now, because I know I'll never get anywhere with facts with you.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Not going to go into my medical history but I’m one that is seriously affected by this. I didn’t leave my home all last week until about Friday and that was only for a medical appointment. It was much worse last week but the two days of clean air we had on Sunday and Monday may have rejuvenated me a bit so it’s not bothering me as much right now. It didn’t blow back in last night, it came back yesterday morning and by afternoon, visibility was reduced to about a couple blocks. I bring up visibility as I’m in a high rise and normally have a view for miles. Looking out my window right now it’s down to a couple blocks and it was like this all day yesterday too.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
As much as I welcome you ceasing blaming people for not knowing better and you reporting false facts these are the time stamped facts.

Yesterday when I went to bed at 11pm air Quality for Edmonton was 4. These being fairly normative conditions and wherein no real risk occurs. This is time stamped lol as I have taken a screen print of it now. Not sure if the link will show it but with the arrows and dates you can go back and forth to anytime and region.

AQHI - Map

This was Monday. 3 pretty much as I stated.

AQHI - Map

edit Because maps default to current heres the printscreen of 11 pm August 14, 2018 Edmonton was 4.

edit2 printscreen is not pasting from that site. Normally I can get printscreen images to show here. Anybody can check on the links and go back to the yesterday at 11pm. Use calendar and then arrows to navigate

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Not going to go into my medical history but I’m one that is seriously affected by this. I didn’t leave my home all last week until about Friday and that was only for a medical appointment. It was much worse last week but the two days of clean air we had on Sunday and Monday may have rejuvenated me a bit so it’s not bothering me as much right now. It didn’t blow back in last night, it came back yesterday morning and by afternoon, visibility was reduced to about a couple blocks. I bring up visibility as I’m in a high rise and normally have a view for miles. Looking out my window right now it’s down to a couple blocks and it was like this all day yesterday too.

With all due respect the smoke accumulations are very regional specific. So that Strathcona. Lamont, East readings yesterday were much different than Edmonton or west of Edmonton ratings. I am closest to the Strathcona reporting stations which didn't get higher than 5 for what I see yesterday. If people were in West end or DT the smoke amount would be different. just ftr.

I think what maybe isn't being considered is that the greater Edmonton metropolitan region is HUGE the size of some small countries.. So that we're actually seeing different things yesterday. No way was this smoke here yesterday where I live.

The links I gave are interesting to look at how much deviation there is in air quality over time.

Stay safe man.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
When we have had smoke issues for the last couple weeks, and reports that the fires continue unabated in B.C. , I'm not sure how anyone could be naive enough to believe a couple days of "downtime" for heavy smoke were going to be the end of it. People have to take control of their life and their decisions to a large degree and stop blaming others all the time.

Reactions: joestevens29

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
If anybody is curious according to the maps almost anywhere up to 150k north of Edmonton is Clear. Southern section of province clear. Most of Alberta population socked in smoke today.

ironically "smoky lake" is doing better than Edmonton today...

Take that one with a grain of salt

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
When a person is experiencing symptoms from smoking they can slow down or stop, use a filter, chew tobacco, use Nicorette etc. Difficult to do but possible. This is worse because no options for it are available. This is what concerns me as well. We are a City of 1.3M people and the COE is making no options available. Hospital emergency wards are overrun with people and over 10hr waits. What exactly are people suffering supposed to do other than choke on this stuff?

This is so bad that the COE should be setting up regional filtered air tents or facilities so that people can come in and breathe cleaner air. This is necessary at this point. Not even malls are doing that well because doors are constantly being opened.

Which leaves me to believe as well that such places as Rexall Place should exist and continue to as potential emergency facilities if nothing else.

I was unfortunately at emergency for about 14 hours friday night/saturday and wait time was about 3.5 hours at the hospital I was at.

to me the air seems a lot worse today than last Friday, though. an accumulative effect? the air in my building is brutal. think the air system has given up, and it's hotter in the building, too.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I was unfortunately at emergency for about 14 hours friday night/saturday and wait time was about 3.5 hours at the hospital I was at.

to me the air seems a lot worse today than last Friday, though. an accumulative effect? the air in my building is brutal. think the air system has given up, and it's hotter in the building, too.

Sorry to hear about it. wait times are much longer today. Especially Grey Nuns.

Right now in Edmonton region right where I live is being hit harder than anywhere else. Particulate matters of 209 here at the moment. In contrast St Albert is 160. Go to Bon Accord and its only 118. 100 scale difference within region. Yesterday it was 45 particulate matter here at Edmonton east reporting station. Its over 5 times as bad today. Just insane.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sorry to hear about it. wait times are much longer today. Especially Grey Nuns.

Right now in Edmonton region right where I live is being hit harder than anywhere else. Particulate matters of 209 here at the moment. In contrast St Albert is 160. Go to Bon Accord and its only 118. 100 scale difference within region. Yesterday it was 45 particulate matter here at Edmonton east reporting station. Its over 5 times as bad today. Just insane.
Grey Nuns is 35 minutes

U of A is worse at 3 hours

Emergency Department Wait Times | Alberta Health Services

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->