OT: 2018 Weather Thread

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Now these guys are sending me heat warnings. Like come on. Close to plus 30 and we send warnings out?

This is just Edmonton Summer weather

The average Edmonton summer would contain around 4-5 days where it gets low 30's. This based on 50year averages of recorded weather.. We have around 10 already this summer and it hitting this temperature all week.

Record temps also seen in Atlantic Canada with communities reporting highest ever temperatures. With "feels like" temperatures of over 40C in Atlantic Canada, basically unheard of. Several reports of garden mulch spontaneously combusting this week.

This is the new normal, it certainly isn't normal.

This is some Calgary data but the numbers are pretty much the same and with Calgary usually a bit hotter historically. But I like the way it breaks down the historical +30 days which are not common in years past.

Just how hot does Calgary get in July? Take a look at 50 years' worth of weather data | CBC News

This one is also for Calgary, but mainly because Edmonton related breakdowns are not of the same quality and not widely reported or found;

Calgary forecasting warmest temperature in nearly 35 years this week

Keeping in mind Edmonton already saw some mind melting strings of 30C days this summer before this latest wave. Edmonton is also forecast to hit 33c and 35C this week. Insane temps for this region.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I have been so jealous of people living in places without humidity this summer.

Getting real tired of checking the weather and seeing "28*C. Feels like 40*C".

The nights where it's still +30*C at 1 or 2 in the morning is what I assume hell feels like.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Gonna be a hot first couple days at the folk fest. If anyone else is going I hope you have a great weekend and keep yourself hydrated!

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Hey, I walked out in +45 degrees C two days ago at 6 PM (!) in Spain... ****ing oven heat. Going back to BeNeLux not much better, 34-38 C. Today a welcome break with thunder and rain though. Garden is long gone yellow/grey/black though.

I was almost cheering with my wife and kids.
Then I remembered a friend of mine, from Sudan (now in Sweden) who told me that in a good year they had 2 days of rain ... Perspective is a *****.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I have been so jealous of people living in places without humidity this summer.

Getting real tired of checking the weather and seeing "28*C. Feels like 40*C".

The nights where it's still +30*C at 1 or 2 in the morning is what I assume hell feels like.

Can go both ways though. I remember bringing my now wife back to Edmonton during the summer and she'd constantly be asking me what's wrong and if I'm ok because my eyes were always watering from the dryness. Didn't realize how dry it was until I was away from it. Thought it was funny that Lucic mentioned it in his recent interview that he's never used so much lotion in his life haha
Where I live now we have days where humidity is 90%+ in the summer and god is it draining working outside

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Can go both ways though. I remember bringing my now wife back to Edmonton during the summer and she'd constantly be asking me what's wrong and if I'm ok because my eyes were always watering from the dryness. Didn't realize how dry it was until I was away from it. Thought it was funny that Lucic mentioned it in his recent interview that he's never used so much lotion in his life haha
Where I live now we have days where humidity is 90%+ in the summer and god is it draining working outside
As someone who has lived in Edmonton for about fifty years I can say that the humidity has never been as high as it’s been the last two summers.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
When's the last time we hit 36?

5390a404-4233-40f8-b457-a6d15051e05b.png

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008

Excerpt from google:

"The highest temperature recorded within the City of Edmonton was 37.2 °C (99.0 °F), on June 29, 1937. On July 2, 2013, a record high humidex of 43 was recorded, due to an unusually humid day with a temperature of 33.9 °C (93.0 °F) and a record high dew point of 23 °C (73.4 °F)."

So, this is going to suck.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

36 is very near an alltime record for Edmonton which depending on source is close to 37C. Depending on source used (why is the data conflicting) Edmontons alltime high is anywhere from 33C-37.2Celsius) So pretty clearly record matching territory.

Given that I don't travel to many hot spots this is close to the hottest I have experienced. The hottest ever would be for me 39C in Kamloops, a place I absolutely loathe.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I love the heat. But this smoke is annoying. Seems to be the common thing every summer now. It gets hot out but the sun gets buried in a cloud of smoke. spend a week or two covered in forest fire smoke.
I never remember forest fire smoke being so prevalent for so long.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I love the heat. But this smoke is annoying. Seems to be the common thing every summer now. It gets hot out but the sun gets buried in a cloud of smoke. spend a week or two covered in forest fire smoke.

Yea it's almost like something is causing progressively worse droughts which in turn facilitates more and more forest fires.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006

Tough to do outdoor activities when that smoke is wreaking havoc on the lungs. Or maybe I'm just getting old and out of shape.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Tough to do outdoor activities when that smoke is wreaking havoc on the lungs. Or maybe I'm just getting old and out of shape.
At least the smoke looks like it’s starting to finally clear up. I’m with you though, between the smoke and the extreme heat, I’ve had to stay inside the last couple days.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The air advisory yesterday evening was an 8/10 (brutal, as bad as it gets here ever, never seen it higher than 7 before) and with record hitting temps. In short this was the biggest risk day of a coronary or lung failure that you will ever see in this province. For hours yesterday I'm literally gagging on stuff in my throat trying to clear the gunk out of my lungs and get it out. Smoke so thick in the air you could feel it in your lungs. Two days of haze so thick you could barely see the sun at anytime of day.

Last night being the worst sleeping night I have ever seen here. At 2am it was still +23 outside, zero breeze, still heavy smoke, and I was coughing almost like I had bronchitis. Except there was nothing to clear, just felt like I was gagging on mucous which is the Lungs defense mechanism to all this smoke. The heat combined with this I had to get up and walk around. Felt like I was choking.

I've slept kms away from massive fires in Banff National Park, in a tent, more comfortably than this. THIS air the smoke is so mixed in with the air its misleadingly bad. This was almost requiring oxygen or masks bad last night and last evening.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This smoke hasn't really bothered me for some reason. Which is odd because usually I get itching throat and real dry skin when the smoke is around here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Drink lots of water to help thin the mucous if there's a lot of smoke.

Good advice.

But even this wasn't working. It was so hot yesterday I was sweating buckets doing any work outside. So drinking lots of water. Not even that was working yesterday as the air advisory was an 8. This possibly being a worst ever air quality rating for Edmonton. That the air was stifling, hot, and an inversion, and out of control pollin numbers meant anybody prone to any effects, or even regular people were having problems yesterday.

For Edmontonians too its just a weird feeling when air temp and body temp is the same. That just innately feels uncomfortable because we're not used to it. I can handle cold air any time and even -30 but the hot still air just hits me.

Popsicles seemed to work better than anything yesterday for keeping the throat a little clear and soothed. The main thing is just how much the throat and air passages gets irritated with this constant smoke. The cool popsicles seem to work as do slurpies and ice Caps. But try finding a slurpie anywhere yesterday.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good advice.

But even this wasn't working. It was so hot yesterday I was sweating buckets doing any work outside. So drinking lots of water. Not even that was working yesterday as the air advisory was an 8. This possibly being a worst ever air quality rating for Edmonton. That the air was stifling, hot, and an inversion, and out of control pollin numbers meant anybody prone to any effects, or even regular people were having problems yesterday.

For Edmontonians too its just a weird feeling when air temp and body temp is the same. That just innately feels uncomfortable because we're not used to it. I can handle cold air any time and even -30 but the hot still air just hits me.

Popsicles seemed to work better than anything yesterday for keeping the throat a little clear and soothed. The main thing is just how much the throat and air passages gets irritated with this constant smoke. The cool popsicles seem to work as do slurpies and ice Caps. But try finding a slurpie anywhere yesterday.

That really sucks. Here we have air quality issues from the vog and formerly from burning sugar cane which really didn't bother me much TBH. I find the best things are to go in cold air environments ie. the freezer section of Costco, Safeway, etc. run the AC, take more showers to keep your nasal passages and bronchial tubes moist and minimize physical activity while keeping well hydrated. Going in the cold air helps to bring the inflammation down on the lungs and the bronchial tubes. My asthma flairs up when I fall ill to a bad respiratory illness so that adds yet another layer to things. Hopefully they get those fires under control before people people with breathing issues and the elderly start to succumb to breathing issues.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
How far is this fire or fires from Edmonton? How many acres are burning a day, etc?

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Yeah, today is pretty bad. I was in the mountains earlier this week and was surprised at how clear it is over there compared to how Calgary/Edmonton are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad