OT: 2018 Weather Thread

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I hate summer. Even after having lived in California for years, I still don't get the appeal of constant hot weather.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I hate summer. Even after having lived in California for years, I still don't get the appeal of constant hot weather.

Living way up in Northern Alberta for most of my life (except for 11 years overseas)... I love summers and dislike winter. Winter is too long here. One thing about living way up here though is that there is very little in the way of big storms, floods, tornadoes etc. Other than potentially getting carried away by mosquitoes... it's great here in the spring/summers though. Just don't like that October-April winter period.

Reactions: LAMF

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Had a lightning strike here on our daily thunderstorm that hit ground 4 blks away. It was a monster strike. Set off a bunch of car alarms and was shaking the earth, house, everything. One of those that just rattles like an Earthquake for a few seconds after which you let go of the ceiling...The flash was so bright it was unreal. Saw the flash from every direction, you knew the thunder from that which hit an instant later was going to be monumental.

A poor bicyclist just passed the house at the exact time and it was pouring and that one must've scared him into peddling faster.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Could be worse, I guess. This after 70'ish inches of rain so far this month.

I imagine the Olympics are going to be interesting...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Skytracker sent me 14 alerts yesterday. Extreme heat warning and severe thunderstorm warnings.

Done with the APP, cannot believe how much fear it puts into people. Especially in the winter.

At this point they could tell me there is a tornado half a block away and I'd go outside for a walk

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Skytracker sent me 14 alerts yesterday. Extreme heat warning and severe thunderstorm warnings.

Done with the APP, cannot believe how much fear it puts into people. Especially in the winter.

At this point they could tell me there is a tornado half a block away and I'd go outside for a walk

This sort of thing is a big problem because the next time there actually is a real issue nobody will take it seriously.

Most obvious example is that hurricane that was going to turn Florida into a parking lot last summer.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Pfft Tornado? I'mma cut the grass.

maxresdefault.jpg

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I got no thunderstorm warnings all day on Weather network and the radar didn't show any activity either. Why would one source be saying thunderstorm activity and others not. It was a pretty clear blue sky day.

The heat warnings yeah, valid, didn't see any thunderstorm activity in region. It didn't even feel like a day where there would be any. You can kind of sense the conditions if you have a lot of years experience with weather. There was no thunderstorms coming yesterday. What claptrap by "Skytracker"

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

Are there advertisements on their app? I'd guess they're putting out click-bait to try and save their dying business.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I got no thunderstorm warnings all day on Weather network and the radar didn't show any activity either. Why would one source be saying thunderstorm activity and others not. It was a pretty clear blue sky day.

The heat warnings yeah, valid, didn't see any thunderstorm activity in region. It didn't even feel like a day where there would be any. You can kind of sense the conditions if you have a lot of years experience with weather. There was no thunderstorms coming yesterday. What claptrap by "Skytracker"

Some of these apps I think need a big update or something. About 1/2 hour ago on the the weather channel app it said "showers in the vicinity, I look out my back window facing the west and I dont see a cloud in the sky.

That storm on 7/20 pushed my bbq 5 feet across the deck. Brakes on and all. I ran out in the hail and and pushed it up against the house.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Some of these apps I think need a big update or something. About 1/2 hour ago on the the weather channel app it said "showers in the vicinity, I look out my back window facing the west and I dont see a cloud in the sky.

That storm on 7/20 pushed my bbq 5 feet across the deck. Brakes on and all. I ran out in the hail and and pushed it up against the house.
Accuweather is where it’s at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->