Golf: 2018 US Open: June 14-17 at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
USGA has issued an appalling ruling. Blatantly covering for Mickelson's cheating to get themselves a few extra viewers and maybe entrants for tomorrow.

That should be a disqualification. They let him off. They claim it was 14-5 instead of 1-2, but thats absurd. 1-2 relates to affecting the playing of the hole, 14-5 only talks about hitting a moving ball. Mickelson himself right here makes the case it was 1-2, not 14-5.

No one’s tuning in to see Phil be umpteen shots off the lead.

Looks like everyone went off the deep end. Significant course dry-out. Zach Johnson also once again is a crybaby.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
The conditions are getting brutal, but I get so tired of hearing professionals ***** about a course being unfair.

Yeah, I get it if players are hitting good shots that don't get rewarded (sort of like what was happening at Chambers Bay for a while), but from what I've seen in this tournament it doesn't look like that's what's been happening. It's just a really hard course being played in tough conditions.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
You figure Fleetwood eventually will win one. He’s always hovering near the top. Or he could become another Poulter, Kuchar, or Montgomery

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s not like he’s in contention anyway. Who cares.
No one’s tuning in to see Phil be umpteen shots off the lead.

Whether he's in contention shouldn't matter. Apply the laws as such, whether they significantly impact who wins the tournament or not.

We also all know the reaction to this from some is to let him off the hook because Phil is one of the good old boys. What's the reaction to this if John Daly did it?

Oh wait, he did do it, and wasn't let off the hook anywhere near the way that Mickelson was.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Whether he's in contention shouldn't matter. Apply the laws as such, whether they significantly impact who wins the tournament or not.

We also all know the reaction to this from some is to let him off the hook because Phil is one of the good old boys. What's the reaction to this if John Daly did it?

Oh wait, he did do it, and wasn't let off the hook anywhere near the way that Mickelson was.

I don’t care who did it. It’s just not a big deal to me. Excuse me for not getting offended because of something so small.

Jan 3, 2012
USGA has issued an appalling ruling. Blatantly covering for Mickelson's cheating to get themselves a few extra viewers and maybe entrants for tomorrow.

That should be a disqualification. They let him off. They claim it was 14-5 instead of 1-2, but thats absurd. 1-2 relates to affecting the playing of the hole, 14-5 only talks about hitting a moving ball. Mickelson himself right here makes the case it was 1-2, not 14-5.

I agree with you. Disqualify him. He blatantly exploited what he saw as a loophole in the rules.

Just got home. Nice to see DJ coming back to the pack, looks like maybe a good Sunday tomorrow.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Haven't been able to watch any of todays golf until now?

Are they playing that bad or is the course playing that more difficult?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Haven't been able to watch any of todays golf until now?

Are they playing that bad or is the course playing that more difficult?

The wind has picked up and there are some hole locations that are pretty unreachable (most notably 14 & 15 IMO). Course is playing a lot longer than yesterday because of the wind. Conditions were a lot easier earlier in the day which is why scrubs like Berger and Finau are at the top of the leaderboard.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They are right that missed putts shouldn’t roll off the green like that, that pin is in a bad spot

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The whole unfair/fair debate is kind of meaningless. Its probably also unfair that you can land the ball on the fly in the fairway, have it trickle into extremely thick rough, and then have no chance to hit the GIR. Its also unfair that you can hit the green on the fly, miss your landing spot by a yard, and have it role off the green, and your next shot is similar where you miss your landing spot by a yard with undershooting it, its off the green again. If you overshoot it by a yard, you are 20 feet by with a downhill putt.

But thats this course. Its the US Open. We almost never see this. Haven't seen anything like this for years. I find it interesting.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
4 guys tied at +3 for the lead. This course is eating these pros up. I’d much rather watch this than some guy winning at -20. Makes for unpredictable golf at any monent

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Phil making a run, he's down to +15

4 guys tied at +3 for the lead. This course is eating these pros up. I’d much rather watch this than some guy winning at -20. Makes for unpredictable golf at any monent

It was more the wind than the course.

I understand the winds changing, and that changes the course. But that's also the nature of weather when you're in a coastal town. It's something that happens. So, for the USGA to blame the wind the way they are, that to me rings hollow as to why there was such a departure from how they wanted the course to play.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

This shows what I've been saying. Tiger's SG approach was awful. Last on this list. Didn't drive it that poorly, contrary to what many have claimed. And the short game was very good. He's hit it great recently, so I'm not worried about one bad week in that category. Get the putting cleaned up and have the approach game show up in majors, and we are in business.

Jordan's putting might actually be back. Its been pretty good two events in a row, but lets see what it is next week. The short game was awful, like I thought. Too many mental errors with the short game, but one week of that is better than technical problems in that part of the game. Needs to get the approach game cleaned up. It's fallen off some recently, but I think he's very close to being back, if he can do that.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad