Golf: 2018 US Open: June 14-17 at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Couldn't care less about the golf or anything else in the world at the moment.

The girl in my avatar, Boots, is lethargic and not feeling well right now and I have to take her to an emergency vet appointment. Sick to my stomach...

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Couldn't care less about the golf or anything else in the world at the moment.

The girl in my avatar, Boots, is lethargic and not feeling well right now and I have to take her to an emergency vet appointment. Sick to my stomach...
I hope all ends up being nothing too serious. I'll keep Boots in my thoughts.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No it isn't. He is being realistic. Nobody is shooting four rounds of par or better unless somebody Kaymer's this. Realistically everyone is going to be struggling to break par without serious condition changes. Even could very well be the lead come Sunday, and if he shoots par-par he can definitely be within striking distance if the leaders on Sunday collapse.

Rounds 2 and 3 shooting par would have him at +7.

Even if lets say par won, you don't have a chance being 7 back of par on this course. You aren't going to shoot a 63.

And then you consider DJ is now -4, although he said that before Johnson's second round.

Jan 3, 2012
Rounds 2 and 3 shooting par would have him at +7.

Even if lets say par won, you don't have a chance being 7 back of par on this course. You aren't going to shoot a 63.

And then you consider DJ is now -4, although he said that before Johnson's second round.

Yes him saying it before DJ shot -3 changes things, but I think my point still stands. If the field had've come back and it played at +2 for the day then shooting par could've well gain him strokes and being 5 back to start Sunday in a US Open isn't unheard of to win.

This isn't a course where you have to hope for the leader to have a string of bad holes. One bad hole or shot can easily balloon a scorecard and cost 3-4 strokes. All you really have to do is stay within striking distance and then go out and play your socks off. That's what Mickelson meant, and he is basically correct.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yes him saying it before DJ shot -3 changes things, but I think my point still stands. If the field had've come back and it played at +2 for the day then shooting par could've well gain him strokes and being 5 back to start Sunday in a US Open isn't unheard of to win.

This isn't a course where you have to hope for the leader to have a string of bad holes. One bad hole or shot can easily balloon a scorecard and cost 3-4 strokes. All you really have to do is stay within striking distance and then go out and play your socks off. That's what Mickelson meant, and he is basically correct.

I still think its unrealistic. He would be asking at best to have the winning score after four rounds be +3 or +4, and then he'd need a 66 or 67. The latter part is possible, but the former is not really realistic without wind. Wind was not forecast for today and the next two days. In these conditions, there are going to be some under par rounds, and maybe even a -3 or -4 round. I just can't see it as realistic, given what we knew about what the conditions would be, that there would've been any realistic chance that +2 is leading going into the final round. But I digress.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
DJ is a much better player now than he was in 2015 but I remember that year's Open Championship where he looked ready to run away with it after 2 rounds, only to end up barely end up inside the top-50 by tournament's end. Way too many holes left to believe this is over.

Starting to look like +10 won't make it to the weekend. +9 might not get there either. Tiger, Rory, Rahm, Sergio, Day, Bubba, possibly Spieth, possibly Phil, Kuchar... carnage.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
DJ is a much better player now than he was in 2015 but I remember that year's Open Championship where he looked ready to run away with it after 2 rounds, only to end up barely end up inside the top-50 by tournament's end. Way too many holes left to believe this is over.

Starting to look like +10 won't make it to the weekend. +9 might not get there either. Tiger, Rory, Rahm, Sergio, Day, Bubba, possibly Spieth, possibly Phil, Kuchar... carnage.
That won’t do the weekend ratings any favors especially if DJ extends the lead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad