Series Talk: ECSF: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (NYR Lead 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Rags fans act like Yankee's fans with a team that's more like the Mets and Jets.:thumbu:
Some of yall already crawling out from your summer camps

giphy.gif

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
Yeah, the fact that both sides seem to be gassing themselves up about why they will win tells you everything you need to know about how close this one will be.

It sounds like an oversimplification, but the Rangers can’t let Carolina abuse them off the rush, especially not having a forward back to pick up the 3rd man on a 3on2.

On the flip side, Carolina can’t afford to have breakdowns in their man-to-man coverage. NYR are the best team in the league at generating HDCs off of slot passes.

This series will be defined by missed assignments, not star power.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Yeah, the fact that both sides seem to be gassing themselves up about why they will win tells you everything you need to know about how close this one will be.

It sounds like an oversimplification, but the Rangers can’t let Carolina abuse them off the rush, especially not having a forward back to pick up the 3rd man on a 3on2.

On the flip side, Carolina can’t afford to have breakdowns in their man-to-man coverage. NYR are the best team in the league at generating HDCs off of slot passes.

And who can take advantage of their PP opportunities

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I could see this being as close as the last series between these two teams, going 7 games. I don’t feel like either roster is truly better than the other, but I do feel strongly that Igor is the better goalie.

Reactions: yrrebbor

GG96

Feb 21, 2020
Carolina struggled to begin the season and turned the season around after their Canadian road trip in November. We start out like we've been playing since December you're looking at home ice for Carolina this series.

Carolina easily has the better D and goalies are even. Yes, Igor is great but Freddie can be great too when he's on...and he's been on since he's returned from his blood clot. Our backup is not to shabby either.

Florida did not bitch slap us. What series were you watching? Bobrovsky stood on his head that series. It could've easily gone the other way.

This is not the same Carolina team from 2 years ago and it's not the same Rangers team from two years ago.

I don't put too much stock in prior series because changes happen such as trades and new players coming in.

We didn't have Guentzel, Orlov, Burns, a more dynamic Jarvis, Kuznetsov and Andersen did not play that series at all.

The only thing I agree with you on is:

Yes, this series is a toss up.

Also, Carolina will skate circles around the Rangers D. Good luck in trying to contain it for a 7 game series.
I liked the part where you rated the goalies even. That was a good chuckle

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Are the Urines the Isles or Canes? If you're gonna use nicknames they gotta make at least 5% sense. Also, the fact that you think Orlov elbowed Lee's face shows you're beyond deluded...go watch a replay, the elbow was easily 2 feet away from his face lmao Talk about divers...or the "slash to the hands" in the last game, where Svech was at least 6" from both hands but guy acted like it got sawed off

All I can assume at this point is you're a troll
I admit to being too lazy to look up the proper nickname but we need to give Orlov credit for trying. Whatever he hit Lee with, it was a dirty play. I guess the Isles tried to out Louganis you in that last game, I missed that dive, but saw many by the Canes.
Both that play and the two hander by Svechnikov were "intent to injure" plays, maybe you can point out when my team reciprocated?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
This is good stuff.

"If you ignore when we were bad, we would have easily won the president's trophy!"

This is fun. I'll play. If the Rangers weren't bad in January, they would have won the president's trophy by WAY more!
Not if the Canes were even better than when they were bad. Ha - you weren't prepared for that!

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I admit to being too lazy to look up the proper nickname but we need to give Orlov credit for trying. Whatever he hit Lee with, it was a dirty play. I guess the Isles tried to out Louganis you in that last game, I missed that dive, but saw many by the Canes.
Both that play and the two hander by Svechnikov were "intent to injure" plays, maybe you can point out when my team reciprocated?
Hey... no offense but it sounds like you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Just thought you should know.

If only the Carolina Hurricanes had gotten more points than the New York Rangers during the regular season, they'd be the higher seed for this matchup. :P

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
...is...is this serious? Which two-hander by Svech? The one that DIDN'T hit than hands? And again, Orlov had no dirty hit because he literally didn't hit anywhere near Lees head. Of course you missed the countless flops and dives and embellishment by Isles, they're a perfectly disciplined team!!! As far as I can tell, the only "dive" Isles can point to that's somewhat legit is Skjei in game 1, otherwise its been mighty big reaches. And intent to injure reciprocation? You mean like going after Guentz with repeated slashes on the ENG? Also, I'd love you to point to any single "intent to injure" other than memory, show me replays... laughable take

Dammit I said I wouldn't engage trolls and you drew me in...no more

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

I'm expecting a long series 6 or 7 games.

I will probably pick the Rangers to win in my hockey pool but this is going to be rough.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
'23-'24 Rangers: 278 goals, 214 ES goals, 166 5v5 goals

'23-'24 Hurricanes: 277 goals, 210 ES goals, 169 5v5 goals

a LOT better?
Not trying to poke holes, genuinely curious, but what's the 5v5 goal differential? Recognizing most of the discussion has been on goal scoring, but 'being better' on 5v5 has more to do than just how many you're putting in the net.

Reactions: SlavinAway

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
True, the Islanders actually committed more penalties than we did, which is a surprise considering the market there in NY.

The thing I'm worried about is our PK. We were 8/11 on the PK vs the Islanders. Granted the last 3 Pk's in game 5 by Carolina was carolina like but that PK percentage needs to improve drastically vs the Rangers.

Either that or just don't commit a penalty. The Washington Ranger series had lots of penalties on both sides. Unfortunately Washington couldn't capitalize.

Carolina needs to stay disciplined like they were the first series or they'll be in trouble. Both teams will. Neither team can commit dumb penalties in this series and get away with it although in the regular season we were 9/10 vs the Rangers PP but playoffs are a different animal but it gives me confidence that we can shut down their PP if our PK success carries over to the playoffs and it hasn't really yet.

Hopefully with how awesome this series is (2 of the best teams going at it) the refs will pocket the whistles. and let the series be decided 5 on 5, unless something is blatantly obvious to be a penalty.

I don't think the market makes a difference, the Caps had more PPs than the Rangers I believe. And if the market mattered the Islanders are Long Island. They're not the Rangers. They have a much smaller fan base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad