Golf: 2018 US Open: June 14-17 at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Awful event, as far as I'm concerned.

Tiger was somewhat okay today, but being okay after you shoot 78 isn't going to get you inside the cut line. I think some of the approach shots this week were just as problematic as the putting woes yesterday. He hit them poorly at the Masters, as well. Tiger has to start playing better. These small spurts of good golf are nice, but there's only two majors left this year. The old Tiger cared about four events per year. Get it in gear.

Very similar for Jordan. Somewhat okay today, but not good enough to make the cut. Still hasn't won this year. That is not good enough for someone of his caliber. Too many mental errors this week that caused big numbers on the scorecard. Scrambling also was well below what it usually is. Putting actually once again looks better. He also needs to get it in gear. First rounds are still very problematic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cody Webster

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Sounds like this is Dustin Johnson's event. Speith, Woods, McIlroy, and Jason Day all miss the cut. Golf is such a crap shoot every week. You want to see the Stars on the big stage, but who the heck are the stars in golf. It shouldn't matter how hard a course is.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Sounds like this is Dustin Johnson's event. Speith, Woods, McIlroy, and Jason Day all miss the cut. Golf is such a crap shoot every week. You want to see the Stars on the big stage, but who the heck are the stars in golf. It shouldn't matter how hard a course is.

I mean, there are four major winners in the top-5. Three of them winning within the last two years.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The ratings are going to really fall though. Woods, McIlroy and Spieth, especially Woods, not making the weekend is going to do a real number on their ratings.

DJ is good, but he's about as boring as it gets. Of all the top players, I think he has the least fan support. Stenson, Koepka, Rose aren't big draws. Good players, and it could be an exciting ending to the tournament, but not going to help the ratings.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Yikes, Phil.

The ratings are going to really fall though. Woods, McIlroy and Spieth, especially Woods, not making the weekend is going to do a real number on their ratings.

DJ is good, but he's about as boring as it gets. Of all the top players, I think he has the least fan support. Stenson, Koepka, Rose aren't big draws. Good players, and it could be an exciting ending to the tournament, but not going to help the ratings.

Good. The U.S. feed is also what I get and it's insufferable, you'd think about ten players were on the course, and half of them nowhere near the top of the leaderboard either. I was hoping all of last afternoon Tiger would not make the cut, so they don't show every shot he makes at +10 over some guy in the chase today. He has a feed of his own, and they still show everything he does.

We could be seeing actual coverage tonight.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Disgraceful what Mickelson did.

Could you imagine what would happen if Tiger did that? Tiger unknowingly breaks a rule at the Masters. Nearly DQ'ed, many clamor that he should've been. Called a cheater. Phil intentionally breaks a rule at the US Open. "He was just having some fun." The commentary on this has been almost as big of a disgrace as what he did.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He should be DQ'ed. If the USGA wants to retain any credibility from this event, he'd be kicked out the event.

This falls under a serious breach of 1-2, so I'd expect either he disqualifies himself or the committee will do it for him.

Jan 3, 2012
Disgraceful what Mickelson did.

Could you imagine what would happen if Tiger did that? Tiger unknowingly breaks a rule at the Masters. Nearly DQ'ed, many clamor that he should've been. Called a cheater. Phil intentionally breaks a rule at the US Open. "He was just having some fun." The commentary on this has been almost as big of a disgrace as what he did.

Yeah, just watched it. Really no defence for that. Control your emotions.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Df1okJPXcAAIOgd.jpg

Not often you see that crowd of reporters around a guy who is 65th out of 67 players. I don't really care at all about what he did but I can definitely see why some think it was disrespectful.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
No wonder the game of golf struggles to grow. The reactions to this are worse than his. Lmao.

He putted a moving ball. Oh em gee! Do we need to call the cops?! Will the game of golf survive?!

I understand calling it busch league.... but yeeeeshhh people.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It’s hard to say honestly what would have happened with Tiger during his dominance days. We were a more layed back world back in 1999 or 2002.

I’ve never understood why the galleys are so predominantly male at major golf events in northern areas of the States and more 50-50 male female split at Augusta and southern locations. Watching today you almost have to strain to find the women in the crowd.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
These guys are getting obliterated right now, +1 or +2 might end up leading by day's end if conditions don't improve. Slightly annoyed that Patty has come back down to earth after starting -3 through 5, but whatever. Sports in 2018 have been too good to me for me to complain for a while.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
These guys are getting obliterated right now, +1 or +2 might end up leading by day's end if conditions don't improve. Slightly annoyed that Patty has come back down to earth after starting -3 through 5, but whatever. Sports in 2018 have been too good to me for me to complain for a while.

I’m just glad the leaderboard has tightened. I’m still rooting for DJ, but I want it to be a close finish at least.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

That’s about the history there. Rarely does below -1 happen. In 04 Goosen and Phil were only two under par and even then as hot as both guys were in that period they were only -4 and -2. Nobody came into this in the midst of a really hot streak so it’s not surprising to see anyone well under par

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The crowds are always crazy in these New York events although Winged Foot is normally more subdued since less Long Islanders or NYCers up there but Shinnecock now is crazier than I recall in the previous events. It’s more like Bethpage where any Joe Blow can buy tickets. It may be the secondary market showing its result

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
USGA has issued an appalling ruling. Blatantly covering for Mickelson's cheating to get themselves a few extra viewers and maybe entrants for tomorrow.

That should be a disqualification. They let him off. They claim it was 14-5 instead of 1-2, but thats absurd. 1-2 relates to affecting the playing of the hole, 14-5 only talks about hitting a moving ball. Mickelson himself right here makes the case it was 1-2, not 14-5.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
USGA has issued an appalling ruling. Blatantly covering for Mickelson's cheating to get themselves a few extra viewers and maybe entrants for tomorrow.

That should be a disqualification. They let him off. They claim it was 14-5 instead of 1-2, but thats absurd. 1-2 relates to affecting the playing of the hole, 14-5 only talks about hitting a moving ball. Mickelson himself right here makes the case it was 1-2, not 14-5.

It’s not like he’s in contention anyway. Who cares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad