Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline Debacle | We acquired *what?*

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
If you cant grasp the doom and gloom by now I legitimately dont know how you've survived this long in life without walking off a cliff or crossing the street during rush hour and getting hit by a bus

Reactions: PM

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Holy **** the whining and sniveling in this thread. I'm legit embarrassed for some of the supposed adults in this thread and how they are carrying on. I mean if you go to any page in this thread and you have 3+ posts whining about missing a 4th rounder, might be time to look in the mirror and ask whats wrong with yourself.

Yes Benning should have been able to acquire a pick. But there being 100 picks today doesnt mean there was also a 101st pick available for Vanek. In fact, every time a pick got traded for a forward, that meant there were less teams looking to move a pick for a forward. Go back to 2011 or so...how much would you have been willing to give up to acquire the Vanek of today? Don't see why a legit contender would acquire him, and it is possible bubble teams just didnt see Vanek as worth a pick.

I dont really believe that there were no picks offered for Vanek. But I'm sure as hell not going to cry like my 3 year old when i won't give her ice cream for dinner over it. If you can't cheer for an organization that does things the way you want them done, at least try to hold on to your dignity ffs.
If you think it’s just this one draft pick that we missed out on that people are criticizing Benning for, then you are lost.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Year in, year out, every move, Benning makes dumber and dumber decisions, and people criticize him over it like a bunch of hysterical whiners and babies. But what they don't understand is that real men have dignity. Real men laugh at incompetence and make the most of what they're given no matter how bad it looks-- they grit their teeth and soldier on. Guys like Benning tests a man's character and pushes him to his limits, and those of us who take it like a man, well, we're the real heroes.

Last edited:
Reactions: passive voice

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Incredibly frustrating day. I wanted picks and instead we got more bottom 6 players. Rebuild has stalled before we even really started.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Ugh. Fans of the other teams are even scratching their heads as to what is benning doing with aquiring these tweeners. Everyone, who can think logically, sees that we should be aquiring chances at the plate A.K.A picks, to have a chance at hitting it out the park, but no. This management group sticks by its sword and is willing to die by it, with that stupid ******* "retool" nonsense. For ***** sake Jamie Benn was a 5th rounder. There are players to be found in the deep ends of the draft. We are going nowhere in these next few years. I am in disbelief as to how they cannot see that. Motte & Leipsic, bless them, but thats not what we need.

Everyone sees what needs to be done, yet there are some who still cling to this blind-faith nonsense, in hope, that this will just somehow, magically turn around.

Reactions: The Extrapolater

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I wonder if Benning's self-proclaimed love of middling reclamation projects has resulted in teams giving him lowball offers in high pressure situations like the trade deadline. Nah. Couldn't be.

I guarantee you he's the laughing stock of the GMs. They've probably all joked about it at one point or another, it's common knowledge at this point. Everyone wants to trade with Benning.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Holy **** the whining and sniveling in this thread. I'm legit embarrassed for some of the supposed adults in this thread and how they are carrying on. I mean if you go to any page in this thread and you have 3+ posts whining about missing a 4th rounder, might be time to look in the mirror and ask whats wrong with yourself.

Yes Benning should have been able to acquire a pick. But there being 100 picks today doesnt mean there was also a 101st pick available for Vanek. In fact, every time a pick got traded for a forward, that meant there were less teams looking to move a pick for a forward. Go back to 2011 or so...how much would you have been willing to give up to acquire the Vanek of today? Don't see why a legit contender would acquire him, and it is possible bubble teams just didnt see Vanek as worth a pick.

I dont really believe that there were no picks offered for Vanek. But I'm sure as hell not going to cry like my 3 year old when i won't give her ice cream for dinner over it. If you can't cheer for an organization that does things the way you want them done, at least try to hold on to your dignity ffs.

I figured there would be complaining on this board today, hence my reply is really late. I was expecting picks but didn't get any so take whatever you can get. This team is bad I get it but there is nothing us fans can do about it.

I am not gonna air my grievances about this team anymore, not worth my time/health. Some people take this way too seriously.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
lmao, jesus christ. How many bottom sixers and nothing assets are we going to acquire? Just get a 5th or 6th if it was the only thing offered, we do NOT need more Veys and Granlunds, f*** off with the age-gap players and actually get picks/prospects. The fact that we took another cap dump for a slow aging vet in Jokinen is pathetic.

One good thing out of this is after the Guddy extension and lack of picks acquired, there's a LOT more Benning hate on Reddit/Facebook and the management apologist bullshit is being drowned out by rational by people criticizing this "rebuild". Ever since the Benning extension there's a lot more people joining the anti-management wave (thankfully). CDC will always be a shill fan-site but I'm glad people are realizing how incompetent these fools are

FIRE LINDENNING

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Just getting home. I see we made a trade! I was expecting a 4th or 5th for Vanek. How does this compare? I’m not familiar with Motte.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
There were plenty of ways to acquire picks between the summer and now if they were actually committed to doing so.

In the grand scheme of things not getting a pick for Vanek isn't the end of the world but you could've easily traded cap space last summer for draft picks.

Did we really need Gagner? or Del Zotto? That cap space could've been used to acquire draft picks.
Did this organization really need to trade a 4th for Pouliot? that's the kind of player you pick off waivers.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I will say though, having watched this group bungle managing a team, this could have been worse.

As mentioned we've seen them throw away picks left and right for a couple years now so coming away unscathed today is important.

This isn't as terrible as the Hamhuis situation.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I figured there would be complaining on this board today, hence my reply is really late. I was expecting picks but didn't get any so take whatever you can get. This team is bad I get it but there is nothing us fans can do about it.

I am not gonna air my grievances about this team anymore, not worth my time/health. Some people take this way too seriously.

Fandom is an emotional business. Can’t blame people for that.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I agree that in the big scheme of things it's not a big deal. If this was a one off I wouldn't be concerned. It would just mean that he misread the trade market which occasionally happens to every GM. Problem is though that it's part of a pattern with Benning. Being a GM is much more difficult than many of us think but the good ones manage to make these kind of deals.
Not that difficult, there are a bunch of potential candidates on this board.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The hilarious and inexplicable Vanek trade has of course utterly distracted everyone from the real failures of the deadline, which is the refusal to even try to move junk like Gagner, Nilsson, del zotto, Sutter, granlund, Dowd, etc. Etc. Etc.

This team has more than enough veteran depth for playoff teams and to not get some picks for any of them, let alone just Vanek, is pathetic. Literally,I pity Benning. What a f***ing loser of a GM.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It'd look twice as good with a NHL level GM. Some people just can't grasp that, they think Jim's doing a good job.

The difference between us and other teams is that we don't need anymore picks or prospects because unlike those teams, none of our current prospects are going to bust. Right? Right!

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Remember that time Benning signed a player, dealt that player for a pick and then used that pick in the draft? Good times! I can't wait for the next time he does it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad