Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline Debacle | We acquired *what?*

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Holy **** the whining and sniveling in this thread. I'm legit embarrassed for some of the supposed adults in this thread and how they are carrying on. I mean if you go to any page in this thread and you have 3+ posts whining about missing a 4th rounder, might be time to look in the mirror and ask whats wrong with yourself.

Yes Benning should have been able to acquire a pick. But there being 100 picks today doesnt mean there was also a 101st pick available for Vanek. In fact, every time a pick got traded for a forward, that meant there were less teams looking to move a pick for a forward. Go back to 2011 or so...how much would you have been willing to give up to acquire the Vanek of today? Don't see why a legit contender would acquire him, and it is possible bubble teams just didnt see Vanek as worth a pick.

I dont really believe that there were no picks offered for Vanek. But I'm sure as hell not going to cry like my 3 year old when i won't give her ice cream for dinner over it. If you can't cheer for an organization that does things the way you want them done, at least try to hold on to your dignity ffs.

You don't f***ing get it.

No, today by itself is not a big deal. We lost a small asset we should have acquired.

The problem is that we have one of the most incompetent management teams in the modern history of NA professional sports, with a complete joke of a mentally enfeebled GM who can't even formulate a proper sentence in the English language and who embarrasses himself with his abject stupidity and complete lack of understanding of this sport every time he opens his mouth, who consistently manufacture garbage situations like this over and over again. And who have no plan. And no ability to evaluate talent. And no understanding of the modern business side of the sport. And who are plunging us into our 3rd straight bottom-3 finish while thinking they were building a team that would compete.

The fact that the NHL rewards failure with high draft picks that this team has accidentally accumulated by completely failing at what they intended to do changes none of this.

We're the 2012 Edmonton Oilers. We're a joke. And if you don't understand this ... it doesn't speak well for your understanding of the sport.

BlueGreen

Jan 3, 2018
Rv6Up3X.jpg
Lmfao this is awesome!!!

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
The type of Trade Deadline Day trade I'm looking for from your JimBro Benning would be what Dallas once did - trading Derek Roy to the Canucks for a 2nd round pick and a young Kevin Connauton. That's my wheelhouse

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Collusion isn't necessary when EVERYBODY knows you can be taken advantage of. The other GM's don't have to consult with each other. They just ALL have to try to take someone they don't think is a shrewd negotiator to the woodshed.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Would rather a pick, but im happier getting SOMETHING for Vanek rather than him ruining the tank by scoring then have him walk. Jokinen can be sent down without waivers which is great for Utica. Motte is a solid prospect. Had great potential, I’d try him next to Bo and Boeser

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Man, even IMac had no answer for this trade deadline. He was literally lost for words, trying to think how to spin this, and just couldn't find anything. Shocked he didn't have anything prepared.

Reactions: timw33

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Would rather a pick, but im happier getting SOMETHING for Vanek rather than him ruining the tank by scoring then have him walk. Jokinen can be sent down without waivers which is great for Utica. Motte is a solid prospect. Had great potential, I’d try him next to Bo and Boeser

We didn't get anything for him. Jokinen and Motte have zero value.

Motte is a worse "prospect" than Boucher and Jokinen is 35 year old Ufa.

Both are waiver bait that you can get for free in the off season.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Benning certainly had the chips to get picks and prospects... Tanev, Baertschi, Gudbranson, Sutter & Del Zotto (both would require salary retained likely) but the problem is he doesn't want to give anything up. EVER. And since these players are doing so well mentoring our youngsters (Horvat, Boeser and Virtanen are the only notable ones that come to mind) he will not move any of them. Unlike the Rangers who came out straight up and said this isn't working, let's trade anyone we can. Luck has a funny way of working out and wouldn't at all be surprise if they won the Dahlin sweepstakes. Three more years of this shite. Can't wait.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad