Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline Debacle | We acquired *what?*

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
These guys need to look in the mirror. The leadership from the top is absolutely terrible. It's one thing to make decisions that are not popular with your customers.. it's another to come out and say "we would have preferred picks" .what does that say to the guys coming in? What does that say to the guys already in the room? What kind of multi million dollar business works like this? I tried... I really wanted picks but shucks none were out there. Bottom line Jim you couldn't get it done. You failed in your task... You are responsible for the return.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
LOL what is this garbage? My best poster buddies/supporters? You do realize there are plenty of posters here ( @MS @RobertKron [USER=62919]@timw33 to name a few) who I have almost NEVER agreed with for the longest time until Benning got here. There is no "poster buddies/supporters" here. It's a bunch of intelligent people who understand piss poor management when we see it, vs. people who want to believe that everything is always great with their favourite team.

My agenda is clear: I want to see the Vancouver Canucks win the Stanley Cup. I've seen more than enough over the past 4 years from this management group to understand that this team is nowhere close as long as they're here. This trade deadline further proves my point.[/USER]

Y2K is 100% correct—we did not see eye to eye at all in the 8 years of being on this board before Benning and it pains me to have to agree with most of his posts these days.

When Benning came on we were cautiously optimistic and completely open and willing to see some change within the organization. Then you start seeing the warning signs. Then more. And more. And more. And then every single move is bad. Every trade they bleed an extra asset and throw in the kicker. They botch two top-6 picks. They trade for bad players. They sign bad players. They show absolutely no competency in managing an 800MM franchise.

I love this team and want it to compete, but this is clearly not the way to achieve it. Benning apologists need to open their eyes and come to terms with how bad things are, and how bad they are going to get because of Benning and Linden.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Inexcusable return. Vanek @ 2m should actually have had value in a deadline like this. There's no way teams weren't willing to offer picks.
at $1m with 50% retention a 2nd should have been on the radar, a 3rd at absolute worst. Goes double if they ate a bad UFA contract coming back.

Reactions: MikeK

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

And this doesn't even include the four or five mediocre depth d-men who got traded for picks as well. It's pretty clear at this point that Benning has no clue how to negotiate or even make offers to teams when he's selling a player for picks/prospects.

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
This team is going nowhere until Benning and Linden are both gone. Even then it'll probably take another 3-4 years to repair the damage, assuming the next GM is actually competent. So realistically that's about 6-8 years before we have a shot at going anywhere in the playoffs.

I have a feeling we're going to make the Oilers under K-Lowe look like a model franchise.

Reactions: MikeK

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This team is going nowhere until Benning and Linden are both gone. Even then it'll probably take another 3-4 years to repair the damage, assuming the next GM is actually competent. So realistically that's about 6-8 years before we have a shot at going anywhere in the playoffs.

I have a feeling we're going to make the Oilers under K-Lowe look like a model franchise.
Just out of curiosity...what long term damage?

Reactions: coldsteel79

MisfortuneCookie

Replace Benning with a potato.
Jan 25, 2018
x9n2ZO5.jpg

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Just out of curiosity...what long term damage?

We are in a constant state of rebuild, with only a handful of sure prospects to make the NHL. A lot of people forget that prospects like Schroeder, Hodgson, Cassels, Grabner, etc. were penciled in as long-term core players, but only one of them is still in the NHL and I don't think anyone would want to build a team around them.

As much as people want to laud players like Gaudette there are still huge gaps in the next generation of core players. We have Boeser, Horvat, Petterson (hopefully)...and then....? Our D-corps is in shambles, and there is a real lack of real foundational players to build on (no Sutter does not count).

Look at the case of the Oilers, who are still trying to find there way back to consistency after years of mismanagement and they have Connor Friggin McDavid. Our prospect cupboard isn't really that great when you compare it to other franchises who have comparable players.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
We gave up nothing to acquire Vanek...would have been nice to get a pick for him,but we got an asset for him instead..The fact that he's a proven vanishing act in the playoffs didn't help.

Two minor deals on a dead TDL.....In the bigger picture.....the sky isn't falling folks.
See, that's the thing. I think they actually paid to trade Vanek. There was a net cost to this deal when one considers that they took on Jokinen's salary and brought in an "asset" that takes a contract slot, costs money, and seems to be a long shot to help the organization in a significant way. I really hope I'm wrong on Motte and should probably reserve judgement but my initial reaction is they would have been better off if the deal was never done and just let Vanek walk.

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
They are outright lying.

He's either lying, or other GMs think very little of Benning and CO. so much so that they knew these idiots would take whatever was offered. I want to believe he was lying but part of me thinks other GMs just know how stupid this organization is and knew they could get away with offering waiver bait.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
We gave up nothing to acquire Vanek...would have been nice to get a pick for him,but we got an asset for him instead..The fact that he's a proven vanishing act in the playoffs didn't help.

Two minor deals on a dead TDL.....In the bigger picture.....the sky isn't falling folks.

When we re-signed the Sedins prior to their HOF breakout years, we also "acquired" them for nothing. I guess it'd be acceptable for us to trade them for a couple of cap dumps?

IT'S A RHETORICAL QUESTION DON'T ANSWER LMAO

Reactions: timw33

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
He's either lying, or other GMs think very little of Benning and CO. so much so that they knew these idiots would take whatever was offered. I want to believe he was lying but part of me thinks other GMs just know how stupid this organization is and knew they could get away with offering waiver bait.

Regardless of how they view his intellectual abilities I just don't think other GM's colluding against the organization to take advantage of it is realistic. They wanted Motte and targeted him and are lying about no picks being offered imo. It's particularly galling when you look at how many firsts changed hands and the rumoured Gudbranson for a 2nd and a 4th. I genuinely believed Benning had improved after last year's TDL, this year's, coupled with the Gudbranson re-signing has left me shocked at how incompetent this group is.

Reactions: yvrtojfk

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Regardless of how they view his intellectual abilities I just don't think other GM's colluding against the organization to take advantage of it is realistic. They wanted Motte and targeted him and are lying about no picks being offered imo. It's particularly galling when you look at how many firsts changed hands and the rumoured Gudbranson for a 2nd and a 4th. I genuinely believed Benning had improved after last year's TDL, this year's, coupled with the Gudbranson re-signing has left me shocked at how incompetent this group is.

At this point I really have no idea what to think. Either way, their incompetence reached a new level today.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Another disaster. I dont know what else to even say. I'm having a hard time finding any f***s to give about this organization.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
it's not even that challenging to add draft picks when you are rebuilding and can spend to the cap. Even non cap teams have managed to turn cap space into draft picks.

Linden and Benning are just full of excuses and the media really needs to grill these guys for the complete lack of accountability.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Claim Thorburn on waivers, at least pretend that what you said a week ago about needing more physicality was considered today!

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Benning is still obsessed with acquiring 20-24 year old reclamation projects still to this day when we should be building through the draft. Same story every year, he does not want picks which makes no sense given our position.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
We are in a constant state of rebuild, with only a handful of sure prospects to make the NHL. A lot of people forget that prospects like Schroeder, Hodgson, Cassels, Grabner, etc. were penciled in as long-term core players, but only one of them is still in the NHL and I don't think anyone would want to build a team around them.

As much as people want to laud players like Gaudette there are still huge gaps in the next generation of core players. We have Boeser, Horvat, Petterson (hopefully)...and then....? Our D-corps is in shambles, and there is a real lack of real foundational players to build on (no Sutter does not count).

Look at the case of the Oilers, who are still trying to find there way back to consistency after years of mismanagement and they have Connor Friggin McDavid. Our prospect cupboard isn't really that great when you compare it to other franchises who have comparable players.
What you are saying is pretty much par for the course with every rebuilding team...Our prospect pool by next July will probably be one of the best in the league...Other than Erikssons deal,cap-wise..it all looks good...Not really getting the complete doom and gloom.

Reactions: coldsteel79

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad