Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline Debacle | We acquired *what?*

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Benning certainly had the chips to get picks and prospects... Tanev, Baertschi, Gudbranson, Sutter & Del Zotto (both would require salary retained likely) but the problem is he doesn't want to give anything up. EVER. And since these players are doing so well mentoring our youngsters (Horvat, Boeser and Virtanen are the only notable ones that come to mind) he will not move any of them. Unlike the Rangers who came out straight up and said this isn't working, let's trade anyone we can. Luck has a funny way of working out and wouldn't at all be surprise if they won the Dahlin sweepstakes. Three more years of this ****e. Can't wait.
I loved what the Rangers did today. That's how it's done.

Reactions: geebaan

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
you win this round pg canuck

srsly, i can't easily tell whether vanek or holm fetched a better return.

I’d say Holm did. I prefer Leipsic to Motte and we didn’t have to take salary back. Not that the Holm trade is any good but it’s probably a top-5 Benning trade overall.

Reactions: Son of Petter

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I’ve seen a couple say Motte is a good prospect and I don’t understand why. He’s 5’10, 22 and has crappy scoring stats. What are people expecting out of him?

He’s a dime a dozen minor league player that every team has right now. I wouldn’t trade Reid Boucher for him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’ve seen a couple say Motte is a good prospect and I don’t understand why. He’s 5’10, 22 and has crappy scoring stats. What are people expecting out of him?

He’s a dime a dozen minor league player that every team has right now. I wouldn’t trade Reid Boucher for him.

He's a late pick who has done nothing really at any level since being drafted except for 1 year where he put up big stats as the 3rd wheel on a line with Connor and Compher.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i think you just did in a way. boucher and megna are surely toast with these two additions.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think the vanek trade was like an ebay snipe for cbj as the only bidder. except usually you win on a low bid on ebay because nobody notices the listing.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Motte,,Leipsic,,it took them all season long and this is what they could come up with.Instead of gutting this team of the crap they have,they move 2 guys who actually where not an issue.Vanek played ok this year,way better then Ganger and Eriksson and a few others.But we just keep adding crap to the crap pile that Benning has stock piled.Enough is enough with these idiots.
There should be fan backlash to have these guys fired asap.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
At this point I'm just waiting for the Jokinen contract extension - just to 'prove' that it wasn't a bad move to trade for him.... :shakehead

It really is time to get some 'Fire Benning' chants or similar going at Rogers Arena. :baghead:

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
At this point I'm just waiting for the Jokinen contract extension - just to 'prove' that it wasn't a bad move to trade for him.... :shakehead

It really is time to get some 'Fire Benning' chants or similar going at Rogers Arena. :baghead:
The problem is, the fans complaining about these moves are not the ones paying to go to the arena. That is the unfortunate truth. So long as fans continue going to games and are oblivious to the faults that are committed, there won't be any change.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The problem is, the fans complaining about these moves are not the ones paying to go to the arena. That is the unfortunate truth. So long as fans continue going to games and are oblivious to the faults that are committed, there won't be any change.

I dunno, Rogers was still selling out back when Gillis was fired, no? We are a long ways away from selling out these days.

Reactions: pomorick

CS95

Oct 11, 2016
I didn’t have any confidence in this management team going into the deadline but I was fairly sure they could manage to trade Vanek for a 3rd-4th round pick. To not even be able to do that is a massive failure.

I don’t mind the trade with Vegas, however I don’t think it will make much of a difference in the long run.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
what? no "what do we have in random 5'10 guy i've never heard of" thread? no "what do we have in other random 5'10 guy i've never heard of" thread?

i'm pretty sure we had a "what do we have in jeremy welsh" thread.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Breaking news:...Rebuild has stalled over return for Thomas Vanek at the Trade Deadline..

I wasn't referring to just this day as stalled, I'm talking about since they admitted they are 'rebuilding'. This is just another frustrating day where you'd hope more would be done.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I wasn't referring to just this day as stalled, I'm talking about since they admitted they are 'rebuilding'. This is just another frustrating day where you'd hope more would be done.

Ya, I think the majority of frustration is that this TDL simply continued the broader trend of avoiding draft picks like the plague and focussing on “age gap” players with little upside.

The trades themselves aren’t terrible, just misguided. And the TDL as a whole was another dud for a team that should be (but isn’t) rebuilding.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Rangers have 3 1st round picks a year after having 2 1sts and knocking both out of the park. Ahhh how nice it must be to be rebuilding....

To be fair they could have had Vilardi and Tolvanen...but yeah, they're a team that JUST started rebuilding last week and already they're doing a better job than Benning has done in 4 years.

Yet somehow we're rebuilding because.....because the NHL gives us draft picks every year? Even though Benning will trade some AWAY. :facepalm:

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
To be fair they could have had Vilardi and Tolvanen...but yeah, they're a team that JUST started rebuilding last week and already they're doing a better job than Benning has done in 4 years.

Yet somehow we're rebuilding because.....because the NHL gives us draft picks every year? Even though Benning will trade some AWAY. :facepalm:
Honestly Andersson and Chtyil really aren't that far off. Both putting up great AHL numbers for U20 guys.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let me see if I have this straight.....The Habs trade Joe Morrow to the Jets and get back a fourth rounder; the Hawks trade Tommy Wingels to the Bruins and get back a fifth rounder; The Knights send a first, second and third rounder to the Wings for Tomas Tatar; the Wild get a fifth rounder for Mike Reilly; and the Sens get a seventh rounder from the Flames for Nick Shore.......but according to our guy Jimbo, nobody was offering even a fifth rounder for Vanek......it's pathetic really.

Reactions: yvrtojfk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad