Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline Debacle | We acquired *what?*

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
We could use a designated thread to discuss all rumours Canuck related as we approach the deadline. A few nuggets dropped this morning;

February 16:

Thomas Vanek:
Pierre LeBrun on Insider Trading postulated that Vanek will be an "11th hour" move. Teams who lose out on names like Kane, Nash, Grabner and Maroon will circle back to the Canucks and Vanek.

Erik Gudbranson:
Insider Trading also reported that discussions have begun between the Canucks and Gudbranson on an extension. While the Canucks' desire is to agree to a deal, if that falls through, there is interest in Gudbranson on the trade market.

Ben Hutton:
Rick Dhaliwal reports that the Canucks are still receiving interest in Ben Hutton. While Dhaliwal states he doesn't know that the Canucks have the appetite to move him, he also points out that the healthy scratches are adding up.

Canucks and Arizona?
Rick Dhaliwal also went on to say the Canucks have inquired about Max Domi and Tobias Reider out of Arizona. He goes on to say that inquiring and getting a deal done are very different things, and that Arizona's asking price is high.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Jake Virtanen looks like he is being showcased. It feels very Cody Hodgson esque.

I wonder if he would be part of a package for Domi. 2 guys that probably could use a scenery change.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yeah don't know if Arizona does tho.. guys like Baertschi aren't hard to find.

I agree, I doubt they would do that - no reason to sell so low on Domi. If we could swing a deal based around Baertschi though, it is a deal you take every single day of the week, even if you have to include a DiPietro etc to make it sweeter.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
My predictions:

Vanek will he dealt for a 2nd round pick or a low upside prospect (The Benning special)

Gudbranson stays because hes a Benning guy, "tough", and a veteran presence.

Its more likely that both stay than both are traded. Dont forget Benning only traded Hansen last year because of the expansion draft.

Be perpared to be disappointed.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Oh, absolutely. It's already happening a bit and he's still here.

Is it the Eddie Lack effect, again? He's "too upbeat" for his teammates to handle?

Shopping guys like Baertschi and Hutton would be logical, as they are OK complimentary pieces but probably not part of the long term plan for this team. Another shrewd move would be to see what the market is for a player like Edler, especially if the Canucks go the absolutely insane route of locking up Gudbranson long term.

Tanev is someone I would try to trade closer to the draft - after the lottery specifically. If, somehow, the stars align and we get Dahlin, I feel retaining Tanev as a veteran partner for him would be a smart move. If, as is likely, that doesn't pan out, then I think it's time to move Tanev to continue with re-stocking the cupboard.

On Virtanen - I don't get the feeling he's being showcased at all. Just over 10 minutes in SJ, still doesn't see any PP time (which just blows my mind, plain and simple)...I think he's part of the long term plan for this organization, but in exactly what capacity, I am not sure. Green seems to want to deploy him in an "energy line" role.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Tanev must be traded. Can’t go another year with a guy that gets injured every 15 games. We need to reap something for him considering we are stuck with Edler and couldn’t move him at his peak value.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Vanek NEEDS to be moved. If a team offers a 3rd rounder like he went for last year you take it. Anything more is gravy. You shouldn't be worried about losing him considering Holland almost resigned him after trading him(They couldn't due to cap).

Gudbranson should be moved. The idea that they're doing this last ditch effort to sign him this week scares the **** out of me. I can only see this going poorly.

Hutton I expect to be moved between now and the draft. He just seems to be someone they don't like anymore.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Jake Virtanen looks like he is being showcased. It feels very Cody Hodgson esque.

I wonder if he would be part of a package for Domi. 2 guys that probably could use a scenery change.

Hodgson was given the softest minutes possible, all O-zone starts, and lots of PP time (where he put up points). How is Virtanen *possibly* being showcased by being played about 10-12 minutes a night with 0 PPP?

Reactions: Catbug

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
1) Not surprising to hear about Vanek given his rep around the league. If they can get a 3rd round pick that’s be great. I’m guessing a 4th most likely.

2) Ugh. It amazes me that anyone could watch Gudbranson during his tenure here and actually want to sign him to a long term deal at 4M+
Hearing about how guys like Maroon are creating bidding wars means that teams looking to make playoff runs still value toughness. At the very least you get a 2nd round pick for EG. With a decent chance of getting a prospect included as well. Or maybe just a late 1st which would be fantastic.

3) Still annoyed with how Green has handled Hutton. He’s a far better player than Pouliot but Pouliot is Green’s pet project so Hutton is getting screwed. Hutton is a solid 3rd pairing dman and Pouliot is waiver material. I hope management holds onto Hutton and dumps Pouliot in the off-season but it’s looking more likely that Hutton is sold low and we suffer through more Pouliot.

4) If the asking price is high for guys like Rieder and Domi then stay away.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Is it the Eddie Lack effect, again? He's "too upbeat" for his teammates to handle?

Shopping guys like Baertschi and Hutton would be logical, as they are OK complimentary pieces but probably not part of the long term plan for this team. Another shrewd move would be to see what the market is for a player like Edler, especially if the Canucks go the absolutely insane route of locking up Gudbranson long term.

Tanev is someone I would try to trade closer to the draft - after the lottery specifically. If, somehow, the stars align and we get Dahlin, I feel retaining Tanev as a veteran partner for him would be a smart move. If, as is likely, that doesn't pan out, then I think it's time to move Tanev to continue with re-stocking the cupboard.

On Virtanen - I don't get the feeling he's being showcased at all. Just over 10 minutes in SJ, still doesn't see any PP time (which just blows my mind, plain and simple)...I think he's part of the long term plan for this organization, but in exactly what capacity, I am not sure. Green seems to want to deploy him in an "energy line" role.

On Virtanen, when Jim was talking about the young players on the team he never mentioned his name. He however mentioned Beoser, Pouliot and Stetcher.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
My predictions:

Vrbata will he dealt for a 2nd round pick or a low upside prospect (The Benning special)

Gudbranson stays because hes a Benning guy, "tough", and a veteran presence.

Its more likely that both stay than both are traded. Dont forget Benning only traded Hansen last year because of the expansion draft.

Be perpared to be disappointed.

I hope we can get vrbata to deal for a 2nd;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad