Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline Debacle | We acquired *what?*

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think management certainly can be criticized for their performance at the trade deadline. We saw several teams around the league stockpile draft picks. Teams like the Rangers rip up the core of their team to rebuild. And then we saw Benning, acquiring zero draft picks and really not trading anyone. A team this bad should not have many untouchables, but Benning seemingly did not want to part with anyone.

Exactly.

Get creative. Brandon Sutter @ 50% retention is probably worth a 1st round pick. Some people will say there's no way, but for a team you would get Sutter for these playoffs and 3 more years at under 2.2 million per year. That's a steal for a playoff team, especially a cap team. Make it a 2019 1st round pick to get the fans excited about that draft.

Nobody is saying you needed 4 or 5 deals like the Rangers. But you could have at least done ONE using that cap retention slot. Not using that retention slot this year is a blown asset.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
LA, Ana, Cal didn't make much of a move. SJ got Kane at a good price.
STL sold. Dal did nothing. Min did nothing. Col is out of it I think now.

Car did nothing. NYI did nothing. Phi got their goalie. NJ added depth.

None of the non elite teams added anything.

Whether it's because of the price or just not feeling that good about their Team who knows.

What Benning and linden should be doing is looking at how the rangers operated. Moved who they were supposed to and their best trade chip. All while still.holding into king henrik. Can't tell me king Hank isnt as appreciate by the rangers as the twins are in Van. But they don't let that interfere with making the best move for the team. He's got 3 years left and he turns 36 in March. How many teams want a 36 year old goalie even with retention? How have older guys like Lu, Miller, rinne, Smith Anderson been faring over the past couple of years.

The thing is, they haven't and won't take note. It sounds to me like we are just going to power through these next couple of years, stay the course of spending to the cap and buying overpriced sucky players and taking the picks how they come. The only difference these next couple of years is that we will officially be under no illusions that we suck (I guess).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Exactly.

Get creative. Brandon Sutter @ 50% retention is probably worth a 1st round pick. Some people will say there's no way, but for a team you would get Sutter for these playoffs and 3 more years at under 2.2 million per year. That's a steal for a playoff team, especially a cap team. Make it a 2019 1st round pick to get the fans excited about that draft.

Nobody is saying you needed 4 or 5 deals like the Rangers. But you could have at least done ONE using that cap retention slot. Not using that retention slot this year is a blown asset.

Yup.

Baertschi, Edler, Del Zotto, Sutter, Biega, and Nilsson should all have been potentially tradeable in one way or another if we'd retained salary, asked to waive a NTC, or just considered moving them.

Like, look at what Tatar got for Detroit. Baertschi is younger, cheaper, and out-producing him this year.

Del Zotto at 50% retained would have probably been attractive somewhere.

And of course if we'd dealt Gudbranson that's two picks right there.

Benning set himself up for failure - as usual - and it's no surprise what happened.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Exactly.

Love your ideas but we all know this would require brain power to accomplish so that eliminates Benning from the table. Plus, it doesn't help that Benning seems to see Sutter as a Patrice Bergeron clone.

Reactions: Jack Burton

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yup.

Baertschi, Edler, Del Zotto, Sutter, Biega, and Nilsson should all have been potentially tradeable in one way or another if we'd retained salary, asked to waive a NTC, or just considered moving them.

Like, look at what Tatar got for Detroit. Baertschi is younger, cheaper, and out-producing him this year.

Del Zotto at 50% retained would have probably been attractive somewhere.

And of course if we'd dealt Gudbranson that's two picks right there.

Benning set himself up for failure - as usual - and it's no surprise what happened.

So many options, and guys with term were getting great value. Brassard, Tatar, Hartman, etc all got 1st rounders +. Del Zotto for this year and next at 50% is worth a 3rd, maybe more. Sutter @ 50% is worth a 1st. You can't do all of these trades, but you can do one of them.

Love your ideas but we all know this would require brain power to accomplish so that eliminates Benning from the table. Plus, it doesn't help that Benning seems to see Sutter as a Patrice Bergeron clone.

And this is what's even more frustrating. Benning makes idiot moves, yet despite that can STILL bail himself out with a few moves at the deadline. This whole Sutter thing (overpaying for him in trade & in contract) would have been mostly forgiven if you retain 1/2 and get a 1st. The terrible Gudbranson trade could have been mitigated by getting a package of picks for him.

And I appreciate the "your ideas" part but that's the thing.. these are not my ideas. These are things that OTHER GM'S DID AT THE DEADLINE. Like, actual things involving similar players that happened.

But hey, maybe we're the idiots for expecting something different at this point.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Exactly.

If this team is rebuilding, and especially if "cap space doesn't matter" then why wouldn't we look into something like this?

But the problem is this team isn't rebuilding. Linden and Benning want to make the playoffs next year, and think they have the team that can make the playoffs next year. Everyone who bought into this being a rebuild was conned.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If this team is rebuilding, and especially if "cap space doesn't matter" then why wouldn't we look into something like this?

But the problem is this team isn't rebuilding. Linden and Benning want to make the playoffs next year, and think they have the team that can make the playoffs next year. Everyone who bought into this being a rebuild was conned.

Of course, and this is why you need to cut the cord before it gets to this point. This management group knows it is on borrowed time.

I'm glad they got nothing for Vanek - it finally created an outrage with fans and media and got the team's attention. That's worth way more to me than a 4th round pick that will just get flipped for the next Derrick Pouliot anyway.

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
So, you have absolutely no concept of "buyers" and "sellers" at the trade deadline? Are you new to hockey or something? The Canucks have no use for him because they have no hope of making the playoffs, so they are sellers. Vanek's scoring is of no use to them, because it's in their interest to fall even further in the standings. Columbus is a buyer, they will likely be playing hockey after the Canucks season is over, so Vanek's scoring would be of use to them. It will not be of use to them in the summer, because the playoffs will be over. He's a rental. He put up good numbers. We don't want to keep him because he's an Unrestricted Free Agent, and would walk for absolutely no return at the end of the year. The Sedin's are UFAs next year, so yes it would be nice if they waved their No Trade Clause and went to a team in return for draft picks. Buyers want to "win now", sellers are trying to build for the future.

There's your free lesson in sports trade deadline basics. Pretty simple, isn't it?
What you don't understand is that no team wanted to give a draft pick for him. Pretty simple isn't it?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
What you don't understand is that no team wanted to give a draft pick for him. Pretty simple isn't it?

So because Vanek was never moved for a pick, Benning was never offered one? I don't think it's as simple as you think there, Bronco.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
So because Vanek was never moved for a pick, Benning was never offered one? I don't think it's as simple as you think there, Bronco.

No but what you don’t understand is that he was never offered a pick. WHY DONT U UNDERSTAND THAT?!?!?!?

:rolleyes:

Reactions: PG Canuck

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
So many options, and guys with term were getting great value. Brassard, Tatar, Hartman, etc all got 1st rounders +. Del Zotto for this year and next at 50% is worth a 3rd, maybe more. Sutter @ 50% is worth a 1st. You can't do all of these trades, but you can do one of them.

And this is what's even more frustrating. Benning makes idiot moves, yet despite that can STILL bail himself out with a few moves at the deadline. This whole Sutter thing (overpaying for him in trade & in contract) would have been mostly forgiven if you retain 1/2 and get a 1st. The terrible Gudbranson trade could have been mitigated by getting a package of picks for him.

And I appreciate the "your ideas" part but that's the thing.. these are not my ideas. These are things that OTHER GM'S DID AT THE DEADLINE. Like, actual things involving similar players that happened.

But hey, maybe we're the idiots for expecting something different at this point.
This regime doesn’t like to admit that they’re wrong about players. The only guys they moved shortly after acquiring was Bonino who was actually better than most people expected and an example of good pro scouting.

Also your ideas are good but remember the administration retained money on Hansen’s already good salary so they were only able to retain salary on 1 player this deadline.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This regime doesn’t like to admit that they’re wrong about players. The only guys they moved shortly after acquiring was Bonino who was actually better than most people expected and an example of good pro scouting.

Also your ideas are good but remember the administration retained money on Hansen’s already good salary so they were only able to retain salary on 1 player this deadline.

Right - as I said in the post "you can't do all of these trades, but you can do one of them". That was due to the salary retention.

I think this trade deadline has shown what smart teams can do with salary retention more than any other year. It's extremely important, and the Canucks blew it by not using that slot this year.

Looking back, tying up one of those slots on Luongo for so long was a huge mistake by Gillis as the retention slots were quite new at the time and nobody really could gauge their value. If he was still the GM, he would be kicking himself for doing it as he would be one of the guys in the league taking advantage of the rule. I guess in a way it all worked out because the next guy up at GM does not use the rule properly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad