2018 summer prospect camp scrimmage 7/6

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Merkley was on the ice for 2 GF and 3 GA...his defense clearly needs some work, but not every goal was his fault, and he was mostly strong defensively outside of the goals against. Offensively, he has the f***in sauce. He was noticeably the best and most impressive player out there.

Norris was pretty good as well. Balcers-Gambrell-Chmelevski was the first line for Team Ricci and they were noticeably a little better than everybody else but at the same time, they didn’t score and there wasn’t a particular one of them that stood out above their pack.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Who was Merkley’s partner? It’s Brent Burns 2.0. We gotta get him paired with the right mentor.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
Who was Merkley’s partner? It’s Brent Burns 2.0. We gotta get him paired with the right mentor.

Mostly Fitzgerald.

Merkley has amazing confidence with the puck got into trouble a few times, but the other 90% of the time he was a magician.

But yeah, defensive zone needs A LOT of work. I thought two of the goals he was responsible for. He had Vela marked in front of the net, but instead of tying him up when the shot game, he jumped out of the way of the shot allowing Vela to tip it in. On the last goal, was a partial 3-2. He jumped to the middle guy late allowing the pass to Norris on the far side who knocked it in.

But all in all very impressed with him. Hope he can develop the defensive side in the next year or two.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
For the most part, I thought the guys who we expected to do well did well but nobody was head and shoulders above. I was impressed by how much of a natural Merkley looked while holding the blue line and keeping the offensive zone play alive. I thought Norris got caught down low a few times and it seemed like he floated a bit but his line was out for some long shifts so probably just tired. He's pretty fast though and was definitely a factor. Letunov-Chmelevski-Halbgewachs line did more in the 2nd half. Also liked Ferraro, McGrew, and Leonard. A little disappointed by Chekhovich but he made up for it in the end with the pass to Norris.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Beyond many of the players mentioned, Letunov was strong on the puck. It followed him around all night. He looks like he could project as a puck-possession bottom line center.

I liked Leonard's game a lot--had him for 4 scoring chances. Defense needs work.

Merkley looked on another level in the offensive zone. He just kept finding a way to keep the puck in. Was allergic to shooting the puck though.

Thought the Balcers-Gambrell-Chmeleski line tried to do too much.

Norris created chances with his shot and made some nice passes.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Merkley was a little like Burns pre-Martin wookie whispering. Crazy creative offensively but prone to a major defensive gaff from time to time. He would sometimes try to make up for it with a spectacular effort, spinning in front of the net or diving at the blue-line, but mostly he was done in by poor positioning. At least he seemed to be making an effort. It's an area he needs to work on a ton but there is so much promise there that it more than makes up for it. He was making crazy passes, he'd read the play at an elite level, made some really good keep ins. I wish he would shoot more. Kid also needs to bulk up before he gets to the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad