2018 summer prospect camp scrimmage 7/6

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Tried to get tickets and couldn't find any.

Sold out?

Edit: Unable to get from phone (Chrome) nor computer (Firefox).

But was able to get on computer (Chrome)

:dunno:

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I saw somewhere, now I can’t find it, that some players who weren’t drafted were invited to Sharks development camp. One of them was Topping, who many were surprised to see was not drafted. Can anyone help me with this information?
Thanks and Go Sharks!

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I saw somewhere, now I can’t find it, that some players who weren’t drafted were invited to Sharks development camp. One of them was Topping, who many were surprised to see was not drafted. Can anyone help me with this information?
Thanks and Go Sharks!
SHARKS CONCLUDE 2018 NHL DRAFT WITH FIVE SELECTIONS | San Jose Barracuda

Draft eligible junior players that have confirmed tryouts with San Jose include Kyle Topping (center, ranked 59th among North American skaters), Jake Gricius (center, ranked 192nd by Future Considerations), and Max Paddock (goaltender, ranked 22nd among North American goaltenders).

Most of these prospects, and many more, are expected to attend the Sharks 2018 Development Camp and Prospects Scrimmage. For more information, click here.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Did some googling on some of the try outs:

Justin Brazeau (RW)
Hulking winger became a force to be reckoned with this year in North Bay. Last year, after going from 6 goals to 22, I felt like an NHL team would give the 6'5 forward a chance at the draft. In fact, I had him 4th on this very list last year. It wasn't the case, but his game grew even more this year and I'd honestly be shocked if Brazeau isn't drafted this year or signed this summer. For me, there were three distinctive improvements made in his game. The first and most noticeable was an improvement in his playmaking ability. With his size and ability to dominate down low, this was a necessary adjustment if he wanted to take that next step as an elite player. He now exhibits poise and vision to find open linemates when teams try to play him too aggressively in order to try to stop him coming off the wall or driving the net. The second improvement was in his confidence. No longer a secondary scoring option, Brazeau drives the play offensively; comfortable taking charge in the offensive end and running the offense through his unique skill set. The third improvement was in his skating. It's certainly not the best in the league, but it's far from the worst. His first few strides, in particular, look more explosive now and it's really made him a load to handle for opposing defenders who lack the reach to keep him at bay. You'd be hard pressed to find a player who was more important to his team this year (plays in all situations) and you have to be impressed with the progression each year of this unique 6'5 power winger.
Date: April 15, 2018
Source: OHL Prospects: Sunday Top 10 - 2018 NHL Draft Re-Entries

Vladislav Kotkov (RW)
[...]Kotkov is a good mix of speed, size and strength. The most noticeable of the three is his size, measuring in at 6’4″, it allows him to have long powerful strides that gives him a good top speed and ability to be strong on his skates. He isn’t the quickest to accelerate but does rely on those strides to generate speed and maintain it. He is hard to contain along the boards due to his strength and size and thus is able to dictate where he wants to go.
Usually, with players of his stature, they may be plodding with the puck but Kotkov isn’t afraid to stickhandle and is quite good at it. He uses his long arms and stick to move the puck around quite a bit while maintaining control.

The Moskva native has a heavy shot when given to time and space to lean into it and is able to move the puck well to his teammates. There are some concerns that he doesn’t process the game quickly but his read of the play is not a weakness, he just isn’t always quick to react.
He isn’t terrible in his own zone and uses his long reach to break up lanes and keep the pressure on the opponent carrying the puck. Kotkov can lose his mark though if facing a player who is particularly quick at accelerating or strong on their edges.
The things that stand out about his game from the quantitative side of the game are his involvement percentage, SEAL, pGPS, and his GF%Rel. All of those things pop for various reasons and suggest that Kotkov is a player that has the size that is worth targetting. You should never prioritize size for the sake of it, but with a player like Vladislav, if they have such good underlying numbers and have that large frame, they should be on quite a few draft lists for NHL teams. [...]
Date: May 23, 2018
Source: CANUCKSARMY’S 2018 NHL DRAFT PROFILES: #88 Vladislav Kotkov (Much more info at the link)

Kyle Topping (Center)
[...]
Next season, once the likes of Dube and Lind graduate to the pros, it’ll be much clearer whether he can develop into a high-end player in his own right. For this year’s draft, though, that means there’s some risk involved with selecting Topping too early in the proceedings. He’s definitely a good player and will likely be a useful player at the next level because of the style he plays, but the possibility remains that Topping could end up being very good if the stars align for him.

Because of the unknowns floating around him, Topping likely projects as a fourth or fifth round selection in the 2018 NHL Draft. That said, if he can produce at the same rate (or higher) on his own next season then whatever team that drafts him could be getting strong value. [...]

Strengths
  • Effective passer and puck distributor
  • Strong on-ice vision and anticipation
  • Responsible two-way player
  • Very effective at winning face-offs
Under Construction (Improvements to Make)
  • Doesn’t play a particularly physical game
  • Could stand to take a few more risks with the puck
  • Arguably doesn’t have any “elite-level” attributes, but rather a collection of very strong ones
[...]Topping projects as a third line center at the NHL level, though that projection could be revised should he continue to produce offensively in his Draft+1 season.[...]
Date: April 16, 2018
Source: https://thehockeywriters.com/kyle-topping-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/ (More info available at the link)
Additional links:

Keaton Middleton
(D)
[...]Middleton was selected (by TOR) 101st overall in the fourth round in 2016. He is a big, left-shooting defender who has played his OHL career on a team that no one calls top class. The Saginaw Spirit were able to play him big minutes, and he eventually became their captain, in part because they lacked big-name defence prospects. He is very highly thought of by his team and by his coaches.
There is no question that he’s a man with the character and attitude of a level to be the absolute best good pro anyone could want, but his play isn’t elite. He’s not terrible either. It’s very wrong to decide he’s a coke machine with no skill at all. Like most CHL players he’s somewhere in the middle.
His last two years in junior, he has 18 and 24 points, mostly assists, and mostly because he plays behind the only scoring line the team has. At 20, if he re-enters the draft, it’s hard to imagine him getting taken at anything above a seventh-round pick.
For me, having seen him in brief appearances in development and rookie camp games, he has seemed like someone who could grow into a minor pro stalwart, the sort of player a team can’t figure out how to live without. But not an NHLer. That’s not bad, and I hope there’s no hard feelings there because every team needs good AHLers or ECHLers, men of fine character to surround the youngest and best draft picks with. I’d see him on the Marlies or the Growlers any day.[...]
Date: May 23, 2018
Source: Leafs draft pick Keaton Middleton to return to the draft: report

Max Paddock (G)
[...]Paddock wasn’t even on the NHL radar until Ryan Kubic was injured on Feb. 9, forcing the Pats to throw their young backup into the fire. He ended up playing 16 of Regina’s final 20 regular-season games, staking his claim to the No. 1 job with a 13-2-1 record, 2.33 goals-against average and .920 save percentage.[...]
Paddock was unable to dress for a first-round WHL playoff series against the Swift Current Broncos after suffering a freak injury in practice. Regina lost that series in seven games but it got a second chance six weeks later as the host team in the Memorial Cup.
The Pats were in the midst of their hiatus when Central Scouting released its final rankings for the 2018 NHL draft. Paddock made his first appearance on the list at No. 3 among draft-eligible WHL goaltenders and 22nd overall in North America.
His ranking would certainly have improved had it been released after the Memorial Cup in Regina, where he became a national sensation. Paddock was named a tournament all-star while backstopping Regina to the championship final.
[...]
Date: May 31, 2018
Source: Pats goalie's stock is on the rise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->