2018 summer prospect camp scrimmage 7/6

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Seems like we have a lot more "Low B" type prospects at this camp. We don't have a Meier sure fire blue chipper, but seems like 8+ of these guys have a legitimate shot of making the NHL even if it's just depth roles. Fair assessment?
I'd say that's fair from watching the scrimmage yesterday. They'd make a hell of a Barracuda team, but just provide depth in the NHL.

I would like to add though that Ferraro would be considered B+ then. His skating is excellent and it allows him to take as many offensive spots as possible. He doesn't appear to quite have the puck skills as Merkeley, but he has NHL-level skating.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
These kids can skate!
I was nicely surprised.

Merkley has that thing, the vision and they ability and the nerve to do it. He sees players that others would never try. Kind of the Thornton factor or going back, Larionov. It’s not the long, beautiful passes, it’s the short, breaking passes that he can do forehand or backhand. I was actually amazed at half a dozen passes he made that came out of nowhere. Brilliant.
Norris and Gambrell look like fast, smart and hungry players. Add Leonard to that list. The Ch-twins did a lot of good things that didn’t really show on the sheet. Letunov had the puck a lot.
Ferarro has the heart of a lion and a motor that keeps going.
Loved seeing Roy out there.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think Ferraro-Merkley could become a very good pairing for us if they both make it. Ferraro's a steady workhorse from what I've read about him this season that could make up for Merkley's lapses while also being able to use his skating and passing to make plays himself.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
How did Brazeau look? Was very jealous when i saw the Sharks added this guy to their camp.

SoftDumpInTheCorner

Jun 29, 2010
Man Jose
good to know that the fans on this board can be counted on to give an instant in depth analysis for those of us that couldn’t be in attendance unlike some “insiders” paid to do it.

He was there and put on blast by somebody on twitter for sliding into his lady’s DM, while watching the prospects game by himself in the media row. All too funny.

Reactions: Lebanezer

jarr92

May 7, 2013
I think Ferraro-Merkley could become a very good pairing for us if they both make it. Ferraro's a steady workhorse from what I've read about him this season that could make up for Merkley's lapses while also being able to use his skating and passing to make plays himself.

Aren’t both of them under 6 ft tall? Not sure that pairing would work in the NHL.

So does Norris look like a top-6 guy? You can almost always tell, even from a scrimmage like this.

He either has the stuff or he doesn’t.

Both Gambrell and Norris have 2nd line center potential, in my opinion. Gambrell being more offensive (hopefully) Larkin type, Norris being a more defensive Bergeron type.

Last edited:

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
I saw flashes of things from Gambrell and Norris, but neither really impressed me like "top prospects" should in a game like this.

It seemed like everyone was told to play controlled, which made for a better defensive game, but less entertaining.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Aren’t both of them under 6 ft tall? Not sure that pairing would work in the NHL.

Both Gambrell and Norris have 2nd line center potential, in my opinion. Gambrell being more offensive (hopefully) Larkin type, Norris being a more defensive Bergeron type.
I knew he was under 6ft but I don't think he plays small. There were a bunch of small dmen at the scrimmage and some of those guys stood out as being small but I didn't get that feeling from Ferraro. Also, he's like 5'10 190lb so he's reasonably stout.

Sidebar 2nd link on youtube if you search up mario ferraro:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

So they didn’t, then? A clear-cut top-6 guy is more than “potential”. In Meier’s first scrimmage, he didn’t dominate or anything, but it was obvious watching him that he was a second liner at worst. He didn’t look like a potential star, but he looked like a guy who could score in the NHL without a doubt. I think Gambrell and Norris are more like Tierney types.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
So does Norris look like a top-6 guy? You can almost always tell, even from a scrimmage like this. Meier had the look to him. Hertl, watching him in his draft+1 year in the Czech men’s league, I could just tell that he was an absolute lock to be a second liner at worst.

He either has the stuff or he doesn’t.
Yes. Norris looked like he can be a top 6 guy, but not a world beater like Meier. Norris isn't flashy, very controlled. He physically looked like an NHLer and he made plays at a level above most of the other prospects. If I had to guess I'd put him as most likely a 2nd liner, with an outside chance at 1st or 3rd. He made everyone around him better, you can see the skill is there, just not elite.

Now if you want someone who you can tell looked to have elite potential, then that would be Merkley. Warts and all. Kid has the spark and next level skills, just needs to work his game to the next level and bulk up.

Other players who I thought showed NHL potential.
Ferraro- 3/4 Paul Martin type 2way, steady
Karlsson- Middle 6, steady, controlled, with flashes of skill
Checkovich- creative 2nd line winger
Gambrell- One of the more NHL ready players, could have around Tierney level upside, outside chance of 2nd liner, more likely 3rd
Balcers- Has top 6 skill, needs more polish
Halbgewachs- Boom or bust top 6, a lot of heart and skill, more Yanni Gourde or Johnny Gaudreau than other smaller players like Tyler Ennis. Showed a willingness to get hit to make a play, dig into the corners, weave in through defenders, etc. He will need to get built like Martin St. Louis and up his speed if he's going to succeed with his type of game at the NHL level.

Overall you could tell the word at camp was to play controlled and defensively responsible. Literally every player other than Merkley and Balcers was playing a contained game, not overextending themselves. Especially the Cuda players, almost impossible to tell which one of the AHL dmen will be first call up as they all played that subdued, "responsible" game. The kind more likely to produce DeMelos than Heeds. I'm a little worried that Sommer might stiffle Chmelevski, he looked more contained and less dynamic than last year. But it's just one scrimmage, so who knows.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
So they didn’t, then? A clear-cut top-6 guy is more than “potential”. In Meier’s first scrimmage, he didn’t dominate or anything, but it was obvious watching him that he was a second liner at worst. He didn’t look like a potential star, but he looked like a guy who could score in the NHL without a doubt. I think Gambrell and Norris are more like Tierney types.
Norris has more potential than a Tierney type, he's a notch below Meier, most likely 2nd liner with outside chance of being a top liner. I see Tierney level as Norris's floor, but with his build and game I think he's far more likely a top 6. Gambrell seems like a Tierney type as I stated above.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

To be fair, Meier and Hertl are both better than a “top-6” player. Hertl is a proven 1st liner, and Meier looks to be trending towards that as well.

Norris could be less impressive/dominant than either one of them, and still be a potential top-6 forward.

Did Roy really play yesterday? I thought he was still recovering from his surgery.

I don’t think he did. I didn’t see him once and I was looking for him.

Reactions: KirbyDots

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Even Tierney looked like a stud in prospect scrimmages and even training camp scrimmages against NHLers. If Norris didn't clearly stand out (not saying he did or he didn't, I wasn't there) that's not encouraging.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Norris has more potential than a Tierney type, he's a notch below Meier, most likely 2nd liner with outside chance of being a top liner. I see Tierney level as Norris's floor, but with his build and game I think he's far more likely a top 6. Gambrell seems like a Tierney type as I stated above.

I don’t think Tierney is a great comp, unless that just means #3 center. They are both more athletic and play a more speed based game then him.

I didn’t watch the scrimmage at all, so this is just coming from previous games and their history.

My guess is Norris becomes long term effective #3 center, Gambrell a #2.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Even Tierney looked like a stud in prospect scrimmages and even training camp scrimmages against NHLers. If Norris didn't clearly stand out (not saying he did or he didn't, I wasn't there) that's not encouraging.

Since Merkley didn't clearly stand out, guess we are in trouble then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad