2018 Stanley Cup Final: Vegas Golden Knights vs. Washington Capitals | Caps Lead Series 3-1

Who wins the 2017-2018 Stanley Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Uh, what? This is just really dumb, why are the Penguins done? That's just asinine. The Penguins are just as loaded as Tampa Bay is and they also have a lot of young talent. This is such an odd stance to take.

Say what? You think the Pens are as loaded as the Bolts? Seriously? That's just pure homerism. Nothing more. Did you think you'd be at the top forever?

And sorry - this should be about the Caps and the trashing they are putting on Vegas!

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Funny how every year it’s the goalies fault.

It’s only Fluerys fault the Knights might lose in the Final in that he’s the only reason they made it to the Final. No goalie could look good in the position the Knights defense has put him in, except against much worse competition. The Caps have had free reign in the Vegas zone.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Say what? You think the Pens are as loaded as the Bolts? Seriously? That's just pure homerism. Nothing more. Did you think you'd be at the top forever?

Are you ignoring that the Penguins won the cup in 2016 and 2017 with a very similar team to what they have now? Saying the Penguins time has passed is [mod], there's no other way to put it. Losing in the playoffs for the first time in 3 years doesn't mean their time is passed.

You actually haven't provided a single reason for the Penguins time being done outside of "do you think you'd be at the top forever". Their time isn't passed, as much as you seem to want it to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Are you ignoring that the Penguins won the cup in 2016 and 2017 with a very similar team to what they have now? Saying the Penguins time has passed is [mod], there's no other way to put it. Losing in the playoffs for the first time in 3 years doesn't mean their time is passed.

You actually haven't provided a single reason for the Penguins time being done outside of "do you think you'd be at the top forever". Their time isn't passed, as much as you seem to want it to be.
Ya but some key changes
Dismantling of HBK line
Replacing Fleury with Jarry
Pens fans have turned on Letang who was key part of cup runs. Etc

Last edited by a moderator:

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Caps definitely had luck going their way last game, that being said, Vegas has had their fair share as well. Things have a way of evening out. Not a caps fan, but definitely an Ovi one.

I think for most hardcore hockey fans, its hard not to cheer for Ovi, always hated the 'choker' label on him for his team's failures. This isn't basketball where 1 guy can completely change the outcome of games. Take Malkin out of Pitts or even take Kessel out of Pitts 3rd line in their back to back Stanley cup runs, would they still have won? Its always been a terrible argument to me about a guys legacy being impacted in Hockey due to his lack of 'cups' when there's 31 teams now and parity at its highest.

Reactions: 5minutemajor

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010

It’s only Fluerys fault the Knights might lose in the Final in that he’s the only reason they made it to the Final. No goalie could look good in the position the Knights defense has put him in, except against much worse competition. The Caps have had free reign in the Vegas zone.

So when Vegas wins, no problem giving Fleury 99% of the credit... when Vegas loses... it's a team loss guys.

Sorry, but over-committing, letting in softies, not gathering in rebounds. Fleury is part of the problem. He did the exact same shit in Pittsburgh... only difference is, he doesn't have Crosby/Malkin/Kessel/Guentzel/Bonino/Kunitz to bail his butt out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ya but some key changes
Dismantling of HBK line
Replacing Fleury with Jarry
Pens fans have turned on Letang who was key part of cup runs. Etc

That's just what happens in a cap era, though. Changes are made, that's just the nature of the sport. It just seems like an odd stance to take, sure, they may never win again, but to say that their "time is passed" just seems weird when they still have Crosby and Malkin for the next 5+ years or so.

So when Vegas wins, no problem giving Fleury 99% of the credit... when Vegas loses... it's a team loss guys.

Sorry, but over-committing, letting in softies, not gathering in rebounds. Fleury is part of the problem.

I swear, former Penguins fans followed Fleury to Vegas, because these are the textbook things that fans did with Fleury when he was in Pittsburgh too :laugh:

Fleury doesn't deserve to be blamed for the chances that the Vegas defense is giving up, but he can't have above a .600 high danger save% in this series. It seems like every good chance Washington gets, they're scoring on it.

Reactions: Chips

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I could see Vegas getting a win in Game 5 but would be shocked if the Caps don't see this out. They're sorted mentally where as in the past they'd still have that doubt.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Washington Capitals are finally going to win the Stanley Cup. Too bad it's not the 80s-90s teams. I want them to win in Washington though. I think Vegas will win game five 1-0 in overtime.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015

Sorry, but over-committing, letting in softies, not gathering in rebounds. Fleury is part of the problem. He did the exact same **** in Pittsburgh... only difference is, he doesn't have Crosby/Malkin/Kessel/Guentzel/Bonino/Kunitz to bail his butt out.
Fluery has to be more aggressive when defenders are leaving him alone to watch against 2-3 opponents at once. If he sits in his net on those constant cross creases, slot chances ect he’s still screwed. Overagressive describes the Vegas defense more than fluery. They’re chasing so hard.

Even with the rebounds... Holtby gives up rebounds but his defenders are in position to clean them up. Goalies let off rebounds.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I’ve noticed that many on here seem to dislike Marc-Andre Fleury in particular. I don’t know why, maybe he’s just an easy target to take shots at, but I think he’s a very likeable player and has been one of the best stories this season.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I’ve noticed that many on here seem to dislike Marc-Andre Fleury in particular. I don’t know why, maybe he’s just an easy target to take shots at, but I think he’s a very likeable player and has been one of the best stories this season.
It’s because goalies are the easiest targets to scapegoat. Fluery was unfortunate to be that scapegoat in an important hockey market.

A lot of hockey fans don’t understand hockey as well as they think (myself included). Even people who’ve played before, watching is not the same (Some of the best NHL players make horrible coaches) They see a goal go in and immediately assume it’s the goalies fault.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It’s because goalies are the easiest targets to scapegoat. Fluery was unfortunate to be that scapegoat in an important hockey market.

A lot of hockey fans don’t understand hockey as well as they think (myself included). Even people who’ve played before. Some of the best NHL players make horrible coaches.
Absolutely, although that's not to say that it is never legitimately their fault.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Game 5 will come down to Vegas being able to control their own emotions. If they play like the first 10 min of the last game, they can come out with a W. Caps can also smell blood right now and this team is on a mission. Kuz, Ovi and Oshie are playing good hockey and can see the finish line, so it'll be a great game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad