Post-Game Talk: 2018 Stanley Cup Champions @ Mojo's zone entries 7:07PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Tell you what guys. I read countless posts last season about Trotz. Everyone wanted him burned at the stake even after all the success here. Then you guys should really have no issue for calling out the coach this season. Any of those people that were calling for the firing of Trotz dont have a leg to stand on.

Nobody will have any problem calling out Reirden if the defense is bad.... in January, or February, or April. Not October 11th.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Tell you what guys. I read countless posts last season about Trotz. Everyone wanted him burned at the stake even after all the success here. Then you guys should really have no issue for calling out the coach this season. Any of those people that were calling for the firing of Trotz dont have a leg to stand on.

If you can't tell the difference between four years and four games, that's on you.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Jersey ran it up a bit in the 3rd. Will Caps remember or care next time they meet?

Most have to be thinking lots of goals this Saturday. Watch it be a 2-1 game :popcorn:

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

It's game 4 in his coaching career. Not 40 or 400.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Meh, so far the Caps got burned twice on back-to-backs against fast teams who playing their home-openers "against the champs". Moving on...

The Capitals got 2 days of rest after their final preseason game. Those 2 days involved waiting to find out if their RW1 would be suspended, which wasn't announced until the morning of their first game.

The Penguins got us on the 2nd game of a b2b. It was their first game of the season and they had almost a week to rest after their final preseason game.

The Devils also got us on the 2nd game of a b2b. They had even more time to rest after the preseason, played one game at home last Saturday, then rested for 4 days.

We shouldn't see too many more scheduling flukes like this again. The next tough period is in a month when they have 3 away games in 4 days in the mid-west.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
On Copley: something stuck out on the third(?) goal I think, where he sort of opened up like a door and faced the puck all the way into the back of the net instead of staying square to the shooter. I haven't seen the replay and I'm not a goalie, so if anyone would like to break that down for me I'd appreciate it, just found it odd.

Understand there's some debate as to whether the puck was tipped or not, which might explain it, just something about the optics threw me. I think it might be a good example of where Copley can refine his own game while still acknowledging that the team didn't do right by him overall.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The same Trotz defensive system that kept losing in the 2nd round because of his inability to adjust mid-series?

Hmm
Holy f***. Crucify the guy because it took him 4 seasons with the Caps to win a cup. Are you guys blind or just that uneducated?
All you guys want is a high flying run and gun team. As long as it looks cute who cares about winning.
And thats why Trotz wasnt popular here. Because his system was too boring for you guys. Who f***ing cares? It worked.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
On Copley: something stuck out on the third(?) goal I think, where he sort of opened up like a door and faced the puck all the way into the back of the net instead of staying square to the shooter. I haven't seen the replay and I'm not a goalie, so if anyone would like to break that down for me I'd appreciate it, just found it odd.

Understand there's some debate as to whether the puck was tipped or not, which might explain it, just something about the optics threw me. I think it might be a good example of where Copley can refine his own game while still acknowledging that the team didn't do right by him overall.
Copley made some good saves. The team hung him out to dry all game. He definitely needs to work on his positioning and rebound control. Dont think he is going to be with the Caps long term.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Holy ****. Crucify the guy because it took him 4 seasons with the Caps to win a cup. Are you guys blind or just that uneducated?
All you guys want is a high flying run and gun team. As long as it looks cute who cares about winning.
And thats why Trotz wasnt popular here. Because his system was too boring for you guys. Who ****ing cares? It worked.
Don't put words into my mouth. I liked Trotz but I was ready for the team to move on due to his inability to adjust mid-series all 3 seasons before this past one. There has been plenty of tidbits in articles or rumors during the summer to convince me that Reirden had a large part in the team strategy this past season, and Trotz' inability to adjust in years past is only more evidence for me.

Have you forgotten 2015-16? 2016-17? This team struggled mightily against the Flyers and Leafs in the 1st round because they adjusted and we stuck to the same system trying to grind it out. That didn't work against a top team in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Do you think Reirden will match what Trotz has done here?
I for one don’t give a crap about President’s Trophies or division championships. Do I think Reirden can win another Cup? I don’t know but I sure hope so. The players don’t seem to think all hope is lost so I’m gonna go with that.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Holy ****. Crucify the guy because it took him 4 seasons with the Caps to win a cup. Are you guys blind or just that uneducated?
And thats why Trotz wasnt popular here. Because his system was too boring for you guys. Who ****ing cares? It worked.
Again I say, what are you talking about?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Do you think Reirden will match what Trotz has done here?

It's not been officially confirmed but there were rumors that the actual leadership of the team and Xs and Os had been shifting to Reirden as the season went on, and became essentially official with Trotz as a figurehead or mascot after the 0-2 defecit vs CBus.

The fact that one guy was allowed to walk and the other given a promotion suggests it's probably true. The fact that a team and coach that could never make it out of the 2nd round for decades finally broke through is also a clue that someone else may have brought something to the table this time.

But if you want to keep carrying the torch for BT and attacking everyone here for being Caps fans instead of BT fans, I have a suggestion:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/forums/new-york-islanders.22/

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

****ing really? Because Boudreau rode that train right out of town. Then we pretty collectively backed Hunter hockey, the antithesis of everything you just said, because it won games.

We've lived that life before. Recently.

You continue to do everyone here a disservice by pretending that they just latched on to the Capitals a few years ago and don't know what hockey looks like. The very reason Trotz was a celebrated hire all those years ago is because Capitals fans were getting a talented and experienced known quantity. We knew what his hockey would look like before it ever got here, and people weren't complaining until they were given a reason to.

Quit asserting that you know who is responsible for what, because you don't. In fact, while the players themselves aren't going to go so far as to confirm it for us, everything said about the coaching switch seems to fly in the face of your "if it worked, Trotz did it" reasoning. We're already hearing two different stories, so I'd rather read between the lines of player interviews than nod along while some self-appointed hockey messiah dictates a revisionist history to the rest of us.

Reactions: Maldini and g00n

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Don't put words into my mouth. I liked Trotz but I was ready for the team to move on due to his inability to adjust mid-series all 3 seasons before this past one. There has been plenty of tidbits in articles or rumors during the summer to convince me that Reirden had a large part in the team strategy this past season, and Trotz' inability to adjust in years past is only more evidence for me.

Have you forgotten 2015-16? 2016-17? This team struggled mightily against the Flyers and Leafs in the 1st round because they adjusted and we stuck to the same system trying to grind it out. That didn't work against a top team in Pittsburgh.
I have forgotten nothing. Its the NHL playoffs. Do you think teams are just going to fold and let you win. You make it sound so easy. As if we were guaranteed to win. Well it isn't. No playoff series is easy. Every team in the playoffs has the same goal. So every team that gets eliminated in the playoffs lost because of their coach? The playoffs tighten up and goals are harder to come by which is why it is important to play a disciplined defensive system.
So Trotz is a bum because he lost 3 consecutive seasons in the 2nd round. Twice to the eventual cup winner. And it took him 4 seasons with the Caps to win a cup. Yeah that's all on Trotz.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It's not been officially confirmed but there were rumors that the actual leadership of the team and Xs and Os had been shifting to Reirden as the season went on, and became essentially official with Trotz as a figurehead or mascot after the 0-2 defecit vs CBus.

The fact that one guy was allowed to walk and the other given a promotion suggests it's probably true. The fact that a team and coach that could never make it out of the 2nd round for decades finally broke through is also a clue that someone else may have brought something to the table this time.

But if you want to keep carrying the torch for BT and attacking everyone here for being Caps fans instead of BT fans, I have a suggestion:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/forums/new-york-islanders.22/
Are we supposed to take your word?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I have forgotten nothing. Its the NHL playoffs. Do you think teams are just going to fold and let you win. You make it sound so easy. As if we were guaranteed to win. Well it isn't. No playoff series is easy. Every team in the playoffs has the same goal. So every team that gets eliminated in the playoffs lost because of their coach? The playoffs tighten up and goals are harder to come by which is why it is important to play a disciplined defensive system.
So Trotz is a bum because he lost 3 consecutive seasons in the 2nd round. Twice to the eventual cup winner. And it took him 4 seasons with the Caps to win a cup. Yeah that's all on Trotz.

Or:

It took Trotz something like 18+? years of coaching to win a Cup, and the one year it happens he's been termed a "lame duck" for months. Who was "in charge" is at the very least up for debate (among sensible people). One of the two coaches in question won somewhere else and knows how to do it, one of them didn't.

Doesn't look great when you put it like that, does it?

e: for the record I'm not stripping Trotz of the accomplishment either, I'm just pointing out that this is a very grey scenario with a million ways to spin it depending on what you want to hear.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Sorry for ranting guys. I know its early in the season but I dont like what I am seeing from this team so far other than the Bruins game.
This game we were owned from the opening faceoff. No one was good tonight. Orlov and Niskanen got lit up again.
And Burakovsky is invisible. How long do we wait for him?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Or:

It took Trotz something like 18+? years of coaching to win a Cup, and the one year it happens he's been termed a "lame duck" for months. Who was "in charge" is at the very least up for debate (among sensible people). One of the two coaches in question won somewhere else and knows how to do it, one of them didn't.

Doesn't look great when you put it like that, does it?
Why do we care what happened before he got to Washington? We dont. You are just trying to make lame excuses now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad