Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
He got an auto raise with the Cup. He wanted astronomically more, so sure that contributed, but I believe the decision to move on from Barry was made well before the Cup win.

I don’t think it ever got to the point where someone like Leonsis pushed back on what Barry ended up signing for.

No decision made in advance would have been so set in stone that it could not have been un done if the Caps won a Cup. In fact the Caps did win the Cup, it triggered a raise and more term for BT, and GMBM publicly stated that if BT wants to be here, he will be here. And then BT quit. So BT did NOT want to be here.

We still don't, and never will, know what went on in those negotiations, or if there ever were any meaningful negotiations with BT .and BM. But that's not most important. BT quit while under contract, so what BM wanted isn't important anymore. BT wanted out.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Not sure if it's Ted or Dick Patrick, but someone in the front office has been stingey with the coaching pursestrings.

One of the biggest credits I give McPhee is that he persuaded Ted/Patrick to expand the scouting budget in the early 2000s. Combined with bringing in Mahoney, that has paid dividends. Curious to see if the same will happen with the coaching staff going forwards.

Scouting, both pro and amateur, is the single most important part of ice hockey now. Any pick outside the top five is a risk and you need to find the “best” risks so to speak to be successful.

Just look at how many teams passed on Kuznetsov because they were scared. Look at getting Eller for picks and Kempny for peanuts because they were undervalued.

Scouting
GM
Training staff
Coaches, in that order.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No decision made in advance would have been so set in stone that it could not have been un done if the Caps won a Cup. In fact the Caps did win the Cup, it triggered a raise and more term for BT, and GMBM publicly stated that if BT wants to be here, he will be here. And then BT quit. So BT did NOT want to be here.

We still don't, and never will, know what went on in those negotiations, or if there ever were any meaningful negotiations with BT .and BM. But that's not most important. BT quit while under contract, so what BM wanted isn't important anymore. BT wanted out.

It’s all a PR game....don’t be fooled. BT wanted out because he knew the Caps were ready to move on when they let him coach as a lame duck.

Winning the Cup doesn’t change that Barry’s shelf life here was expiring.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
It’s all a PR game....don’t be fooled. BT wanted out because he knew the Caps were ready to move on when they let him coach as a lame duck.

Winning the Cup doesn’t change that Barry’s shelf life here was expiring.

While that may be true, there was also zero chance that BMac fires BT after he wins the Cup, so whether he had designs on moving on from BT or not in say January or April, at the end of June BMac was married to BT for at least another full year, probably two. But BT took it all personally and quit.

My main point is that whatever BMacs intentions were, BT forced the issue.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Amateur scouting involves a lot more luck than you're giving it credit for.

Also, the Eller trade was pretty appropriately valued. Two 2nds for Eller is a solid deal for both sides.

I didn't like it at the time but in reality the trade was Mojo for Eller which at the end of the day is a win

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Amateur scouting involves a lot more luck than you're giving it credit for.

Also, the Eller trade was pretty appropriately valued. Two 2nds for Eller is a solid deal for both sides.

When the odds of a second rounder making the NHL drop almost 50% from the first round, I'll take the NHL player ever time, but I do get your point.

I have always loved Eller though so I do have a bias here.

As long as the Capitals don't move 1st rounders I am ok with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->