Dmitry Orlov -- Matt Niskanen

Michal Kempny -- John Carlson

Brooks Orpik -- Christian Djoos

Pheonix Copley

Braden Holtby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
From the last GDT:

Thoughts on Jaskin? He definitely seemed a bit slow out of the blocks but after that he kept up alright. He showed some savvy at times offensively and was set up well by Stephenson for a quality chance in alone. (Stephenson & DSP swapping spots seems like a good idea from a balance standpoint also.) Not sure his finishing ability will improve much unless he does a lot of practice work but otherwise he seemed okay. Not great. I don't expect him to jump into a scoring-line given some of his pace/skill limitations but he's an okay grinder at least.

He was fine and given his career to date he seems like a perfect 4th liner in the modern NHL. Extremely strong defensively according to most available metrics and solid possession numbers despite mild defensive zone usage. I certainly think he should be penciled in on the 4th line going forward unless someone else steps up and forces their way in the lineup.

I don't know how he fits in as a PKer seeing as he doesn't have much experience at the NHL level and Reirden seems to be emphasizing speed from his PKing forwards, but Jaskin's skillset otherwise seems well-suited to PKing. Ideally 4th liners should all be on the PK just in terms of balancing the TOI on the team, so hopefully he gets a chance going forward.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Back to back, back up goalie, other teams home opener, lose expected.

Am excited to see what Copley can do against real NHL'ers because he was great in the pre-season.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Jun 15, 2007
Was actually pretty unimpressed with Jaskin.

I thought Jaskin was a 4th liner because of his lack of speed. Otherwise a top six winger.

Turns out he lacks skill too. But I guess that's why he was on waivers.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I wasn't impressed with Jaskin but I definitely noticed him more than Walker. 2 shots, 4 hits in 11 minutes, not horrible. Don't really care though honestly as these 4th liners are so replaceable.

I can say I have liked Dowd so far so that's a good sign.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I watched Jaskin too, one thing I liked is that he didn't get intimidated by heavy hits knights were throwing at him. I think he's a good 4th liner.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Was actually pretty unimpressed with Jaskin.

I thought Jaskin was a 4th liner because of his lack of speed. Otherwise a top six winger.

Turns out he lacks skill too. But I guess that's why he was on waivers.

1) The MPR* for Jaskin was a net positive 4 out of 5 (1 game in the system, 2 SOGs and 2 hits). Further evaluation required.

2) Burakovsky had the dubious distinction of winning the Bluto Award with a 0.0 in all metrics of the game (no shots, no hits, no chances, no nothing), and an MPR of 0/5. Even his DET** rating was a paltry .02.

(*MPR = My Personal Rating on a 5 point scale)
(**DET = Drunken Eye Test as determined by alcohol units consumed divided by minutes of game watched, multiplied by game MPR)

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
1) The MPR* for Jaskin was a net positive 4 out of 5 (1 game in the system, 2 SOGs and 2 hits). Further evaluation required.

2) Burakovsky had the dubious distinction of winning the Bluto Award with a 0.0 in all metrics of the game (no shots, no hits, no chances, no nothing), and an MPR of 0/5. Even his DET** rating was a paltry .02.

(*MPR = My Personal Rating on a 5 point scale)
(**DET = Drunken Eye Test as determined by alcohol units consumed divided by minutes of game watched, multiplied by game MPR)
:laugh:

:clap:

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Jaskin's kind of slow and something between his head/hands will probably stop him from scoring on anything too difficult, but he's very proactive in the corners in a way I didn't expect given his tools. Does a good job of moving through a cycle without running himself out of room, takes good angles and leaves himself open passing lanes with good body positioning. It was only one game, but cycles didn't die on his stick and his passing was decisive, gave other Capitals pucks that only they could get to and time to make something with the space. Clearly takes defense seriously and has a bit of ooomph to his center of gravity, shifts big men.

Even if that's all, I think that's pretty good for a 4th line player. Like Ward without the nice hands, or maybe Eller without the elite motor. Seems intelligent enough to feed off of Stephenson and vice versa with some time.

Reactions: shtorm2005

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Too early so say much about Jaskin, except that you perhaps need somebody fast on his line to balance things out -- the 4th line looked a whole lot better (and Jaskin, too) when Stephenson replaced DSP -- two slow guys on the 4th was too much.

Maybe smth to try at some point would be Jaskin & Eller, see if their combination of size & puck control can be effective. It's not like Bura is setting the world on fire at the moment.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Jaskin's kind of slow and something between his head/hands will probably stop him from scoring on anything too difficult, but he's very proactive in the corners in a way I didn't expect given his tools. Does a good job of moving through a cycle without running himself out of room, takes good angles and leaves himself open passing lanes with good body positioning. It was only one game, but cycles didn't die on his stick and his passing was decisive, gave other Capitals pucks that only they could get to and time to make something with the space. Clearly takes defense seriously and has a bit of ooomph to his center of gravity, shifts big men.

Even if that's all, I think that's pretty good for a 4th line player. Like Ward without the nice hands, or maybe Eller without the elite motor. Seems intelligent enough to feed off of Stephenson and vice versa with some time.

It seems that it might be a bit problematic for him & DSP to co-exist on the 4th line because of the lack of speed...

Although... things can change in playoffs. We've seen relatively slow/big 4th lines find another gear in playoffs and then make their "heaviness" count. In-shape playoff DSP is very different from the current version.

In any case, it will be nice for the Caps to have the option to adjust the speed/heaviness formula with Jaskin vs. Walker/Gersich, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad