Post-Game Talk: 2018 Stanley Cup Champions @ Mojo's zone entries 7:07PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
This reminded me of the beatdown the Knights put on the Caps in the RS last year. That was ultimately meaningless. If anything it probably made the Caps respect the Knights, which may have helped in the SCF.

Saturday should be interesting.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Did any players say that Reirden was the reason we won the cup instead if Trotz. Ive never heard anything like that. I dont recall any player saying anything negative about any of our coaches. Players are just being politically correct.
You do realize that just because the players like a coach it doesnt mean he is a good coach.

Complain about tTrotz all you want but he gas the Islanders playing some good defensive hockey to start the season. Its early so that might not last.
Everything you have said is speculation. You just make stuff up as you go.
Its still early so I'll give Reirden a chance to turn things around. So far thus team is playing with no structure. They look confused in our own end if the ice. And Niskanen and Orlov has been our worst pairing. Djoos didnt play well the last 2 games. He was better when paired with Carlson. I think they should get Bowey in more games in the near future.
Everyone is complaining about the 4th line and I agree they havent done much. But I think our 3rd line might be even worse. Burakovsky and Eller have been our worst forwards.

Do you honestly think any of these players are going to OPENLY say something like that after a Cup win? Do you realize you directly contradicted your own point by citing lack of negativity as defense of Trotz but not of Reirden (bold)?

Your protestations and attacks here do not suggest you're giving Reirden a chance. You also completely ignore the stated fact that our 2 bad games were against very rested teams while we'd played the night before.

You tell us to "give your head a shake". You try it and let us know if it works.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Relax guys, we have a good team. Let's freak out if they get bounced in the 1st round.

Even if they lose in the first round this year, I honestly wouldn’t even care

It’s the following year that is what would start being concerning

Both of our losses were on back to backs where we played our back up goalie to their starters when the other teams were well rested. We only looked bad in one out of 3 games

I hope we beat Toronto badly just to shut everyone up

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Do you honestly think any of these players are going to OPENLY say something like that after a Cup win? Do you realize you directly contradicted your own point by citing lack of negativity as defense of Trotz but not of Reirden (bold)?

Your protestations and attacks here do not suggest you're giving Reirden a chance. You also completely ignore the stated fact that our 2 bad games were against very rested teams while we'd played the night before.

You tell us to "give your head a shake". You try it and let us know if it works.
It doesnt work for you obviously. You are completely clueless.
For the record we have only played one good game so far this year. We didnt play great defensively in the Vegas game. They just couldn't finish. Remember they had a goal disallowed, they hit at least 3 posts and missed the net on some high quality chances. We didnt really out play Vegas.
Its early but so far we have been brutal in the defensive zone. We are now 21st in goals against. Good thing we somehow managed a shutout in game one or we might be dead last. You arent going to win many games giving up that many goals.
For some reason everyone thinks we need more offense. We should be scoring 5 or 6 goals every game and we dont have to worry about our own end. How many times have I seen people say the best defense is a good offense? Too many and it is completely inaccurate. A strong defensive system can generate offense though. Relying on scoring 4 or more goals in a game is ridiculous. There are going to be games when your offense isn't clicking. A good team has to be able to find ways to win low scoring games too.
Like I said its very early in the season but it hasn't been pretty. I hope this isn't the trend going forward.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Never used it before in over ten years here............

Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 9.44.34 AM.png

:dunno:

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

Maacoshark is a Trotz fan, for whatever reason. Last season he was always downplaying the talent to make it look like Trotz created a SC winning team out of smoke and mirrors. Obviously Reirden's role challenges that narrative. A successful campaign or even quality play under Reirden won't be recognized.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
For the record we have only played one good game so far this year. We didnt play great defensively in the Vegas game. They just couldn't finish. Remember they had a goal disallowed, they hit at least 3 posts and missed the net on some high quality chances. We didnt really out play Vegas.
Its early but so far we have been brutal in the defensive zone. We are now 21st in goals against. Good thing we somehow managed a shutout in game one or we might be dead last. You arent going to win many games giving up that many goals.
For some reason everyone thinks we need more offense. We should be scoring 5 or 6 goals every game and we dont have to worry about our own end. How many times have I seen people say the best defense is a good offense? Too many and it is completely inaccurate. A strong defensive system can generate offense though. Relying on scoring 4 or more goals in a game is ridiculous. There are going to be games when your offense isn't clicking. A good team has to be able to find ways to win low scoring games too.
Like I said its very early in the season but it hasn't been pretty. I hope this isn't the trend going forward.
Last season, if anything, taught me the opposite. Good teams turn on the defense when they need to. I'd rather have the offense in gear initially, establish that offensive identity, and ramp up the defensive effort later. It's pretty much the same defense, same team. There is no reason to believe they cannot repeat that defensive effort and success. This is the time to find that sweet spot.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Get a grip guy. 2-1-1 so far defending the cup. I'd hate to see your posts if we were really struggling.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
There's nothing wrong with being a Trotz fan. I'm a Trotz fan, despite the fact that I thought his time was up towards the end of last regular season. I think the Islanders are going to do better than expected because Trotz is a very good head coach (who has some warts).

Even if Reirden was the guy who took over the tactical side of things come last postseason Trotz was still the head coach and authored 4 incredibly successful years in DC. No doubt he was given an excellent roster but that doesn't mean that he didn't do a good job himself. As far as I'm concerned he's a Capitals legend.

All this being said, maaco defends Trotz for the same reason he defends Holtby, Bowey, and Stephenson while criticizing guys like Reirden, Grubauer, Djoos, and Vrana: he loves Western Canadians. It's incredibly easy to see and that's been his gimmick since the day he's started posting here.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
There's nothing wrong with being a Trotz fan. I'm a Trotz fan, despite the fact that I thought his time was up towards the end of last regular season. I think the Islanders are going to do better than expected because Trotz is a very good head coach (who has some warts).

Even if Reirden was the guy who took over the tactical side of things come last postseason Trotz was still the head coach and authored 4 incredibly successful years in DC. No doubt he was given an excellent roster but that doesn't mean that he didn't do a good job himself. As far as I'm concerned he's a Capitals legend.

All this being said, maaco defends Trotz for the same reason he defends Holtby, Bowey, and Stephenson while criticizing guys like Reirden, Grubauer, Djoos, and Vrana: he loves Western Canadians. It's incredibly easy to see and that's been his gimmick since the day he's started posting here.

Interesting angle. Good catch, too

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The over-reaction in this thread is priceless.

Tampa got drilled -- AT HOME (and it wasnt B2B) -- by a bad Canucks team.
Pittsburgh got drilled -- AT HOME (and it also wasnt a B2B) -- by a bad Canadiens team.
Toronto got drilled -- AT HOME (and it also wasnt a B2B) -- by a bad Senators team.
Nashville got drilled -- AT HOME (and it also wasnt a B2B) -- by a questionable Calgary team.
Winnipeg got drilled -- not on a B2B -- by a questionable Dallas team.
San Jose got drilled -- not on a B2B -- by a bad New York Islanders team.
Washington got drilled -- on a B2B -- by a playoff playing New Jersey team.

I guess all of those team are bad, defensively irresponsible, and need to clean up their acts ASAP!! Or have their coaches fired and their entire systems overhauled?

Lets close this thread and move on?

Reactions: Portable Mink

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Shots fired!! Shots fired!

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I pop in to read some good ol' fashion player bashing and come away disappointed.

Games like this happened under Trotz, too. Hell, there were about 4 months worth of games just last season where the whole team looked disjointed and borderline inept.

On a side note. Maaco, this 'you guys', 'get a clue', 'give your head a shake' nonsense has got to go. Whatever your point is, just make your point. People will disagree with you. It's a thing that happens on a discussion board all the time.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Holy crap?!

4th game and it’s guns ablazing.

Trotz was a loser, yes I did that, for his entire career up until last year. A loser like wilson, BBQ, brothers bryan and terry, and hundreds of other nhl coaches who are good to great in the regular season only to fall short when it matters.

Did he catch lightning in a bottle last season? Was he a passenger? Did it finally click with him after 15+ seasons how to coach in the playoffs? Who knows, who cares. He’s gone, the team has a cup, and that team is two players different from the team today.

4 games. Only 4 games.

Laista

Apr 21, 2012
Gävle
Can someone tell me a little about Caps Goalie?, even after allowing 6 goals he made some things that had me wowing sometimes!
Looked really really really good on the side2side moves!

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->