Prospect Info: 2018 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS Development Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
If Giles impresses at development camp, is he allowed to sign an ELC since he went undrafted? I am confused a bit by the CBA. Section 8.9 (b) (ii):
"No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he: had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and: had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season)."

I think this means he could be signed? but am quite unsure

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
If Giles impresses at development camp, is he allowed to sign an ELC since he went undrafted? I am confused a bit by the CBA. Section 8.9 (b) (ii):
"No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he: had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and: had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season)."

That does kind of sound like they could sign him as long as it happens before the season, but I doubt they do.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yes, they are allowed to sign Giles as an UDFA since he played in North America last season. You cannot sign UDFA Europeans the same way (rule inhereted from early days of drafting Euros in order to prevent teams from stashing prospects in Europe). However, Giles is currently slated to play for Boston College in the fall, so signing a contract would mean he gives up his NCAA eligibility. I doubt he signs right now.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
However, Giles is currently slated to play for Boston College in the fall, so signing a contract would mean he gives up his NCAA eligibility. I doubt he signs right now.
Looks like his OHL rights are owned by Sarnia so that could be an option should they try to make that case for him. BC is probably best for his development provided he gets regular TOI but I don't how he'll stack up on their depth chart. He's more of a bottom six C/LW so it's possible he could get a bigger role in the OHL instead. That said, he's retained NCAA eligibility to this point and the physical training component at BC, esp. getting faster, is probably best for him ultimately.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Looks like his OHL rights are owned by Sarnia so that could be an option should they try to make that case for him. BC is probably best for his development provided he gets regular TOI but I don't how he'll stack up on their depth chart. He's more of a bottom six C/LW so it's possible he could get a bigger role in the OHL instead. That said, he's retained NCAA eligibility to this point and the physical training component at BC, esp. getting faster, is probably best for him ultimately.
Given that his future is pro hockey is pretty murky at this point, I'd say the NCAA route is definitely the best for him. Worst case scenario he can still get a full ride education at BC.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I do kick myself for cutting class the day they taught the CBA.

Totally clueless when it comes to the CBA.:huh:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
That’s ****ing funny...

dims

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
How's Connor Hobbs looking? He's got to be in the mix this year for 6/7D, right?

Depends on who else the Caps sign. if they resign Kempny and Orpik...Hobbs stand very little chance of making the big squad (failing injury).

If they dont sign those 2 (or even one of them), then sure....he has a chance. he's probably behind Bowey on the depth chart. Who himself is behind Djoos.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I didn't notice Hobbs yesterday, but rest assured he was doing just fine in the drills.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hobbs has a ways to go before he's in the NHL. Unless he has a spectacular camp, he's going to be getting a lot of minutes in Hershey

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
Thanks for the update, fellas. Hobbs is a guy I've had my eye on since we drafted him. Like the offensive upside, but more importantly, his snarl. Dude plays with a crazy edge...

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

Holy run on sentence

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
No, Reirden should NOT shave his head.

I would love to spend friday morning at Kettler - schedule looks good. f***ing work really infringes on my personal life. I am not even allowed to sleep at my desk.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Probably the most enjoyable non-scrimmage development camp practice I've watched. Clark, Ikonen, and Seigenthaler were the standouts for me.
Siege? Interesting. Maybe Orpik wants to be a coach in the end. He could realize it like tomorrow. We need some roster slots for kids.

And I guess drafting AA means both Siege/LuJo should start to get 110% out of themselves.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Siege? Interesting. Maybe Orpik wants to be a coach in the end. He could realize it like tomorrow. We need some roster slots for kids.

And I guess drafting AA means both Siege/LuJo should start to get 110% out of themselves.
Agree about the young defenders. With the resigning of Kempny, there's but only so many spots available for the defense. If Orpik doesn't come back a 5/6 spot as well as a 7 spot. I suppose if no Orpik, BMAC is watching how the young d looks in development camp to see if he should entertain the return of Jerabek. If no Orpik, would prefer going with the yutes if they're up for the task which would be the likes of Bowey (this should be the season where he comes in to his own) and a Johansen/Siege. Same goes for filling the forward spots left by the departure of Chiasson, time to roll with the yutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad