Prospect Info: 2018 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS Development Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It was hilarious that Alan Hangslaben was introduced as Bondra, and then Bondra skated around when Alan's name was called. I barely got to watch the game but did see Druce score a pair. Alan May broke down the wing early in the game, and quickly put on his passing hat. Stick to your big slapper Alan. I guess it was not a game for slappers heh.

The store had a lot more inventory than I expected, notably a bunch of hats. Not a ton of Cup stuff, but did have pictures decals etc. Tyke got major cold feet as we closed in on the red rockers, who were cheering for him on approach. Nothing says safety like hiding behind daddy's leg. No picture. Doh!

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have an odd day off tomorrow, would it be worth it to visit kettler?

Check the schedule (it looks like just an hour of practice), and check traffic lol. Its a long drive even when you live remotely nearby.

Wednesday June 27
11 a.m.: On -ice testing (Public rink)
11 a.m.: Goalies on ice (Capitals rink)
12 p.m.: All players on ice (Capitals rink)
1 p.m.: Media availability
5 p.m.: All players at Kids Clinic

If you want to get autographs, or just be around cough stalk chat with the prospects walking around....its your call. I may go for about half an hour during lunch if I am not slammed at work to try to catch a glimpse of our swedish prince. The kids thing sounds intriguing. I got the tot a twig from Mo's today and sawed it in half, taped it up and its ready to go. I think that's his 3rd now.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Might be too far from Richmond.. :(

I'd recommend early rookie/training camp / days with practices and then a scrimmage is better. A lot of the big name kids from DCamp are there. And later in camp you can see Ovi standing over in the corner, hopefully overseeing a bumper crop this year.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Noon is actually very manageable traffic-wise, at least for me. Morning rush will be long over. I'm thinking it'll be tomorrow's lunch break.

Yep, noon is money for me. Of course it helps when they schedule that the best time slot to be there. I bolt out of the office a bit before noon and hope no one notices. It takes me about 20 minutes one way.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Saw approx. the last half of the 3 pm practice. A few quick thoughts/impressions from my brief observation, mostly of 2-on-2 drills. Hobbs seems very aware on the ice. Siegs didn't play like a game-changer (but yeah, it was just a drill). AJF was creative, seems hungry.

Gersich has this thing he does flipping the puck maybe 10' into the air and catching it. He did it 5-6 times in a row before failing to catch it. [edit: The Shane thing was not part of the drill.]

Watched the first period of the alumni game. Nice to see some of the older guys out there. Didn't expect Kristich to be there. I think all the other guys wore helmets; Cote wore a ball cap.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I called Kristich being our surprise unveiled that cold december day back in Landover. I went to the game to see the special announcement, and can remember like yesterday Kristich walking out onto the ice huge smile and taking in the screaming drunk american fan base.

Me tonight: No, that is not Ovi.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
RandyHolt
I called Kristich being our surprise unveiled that cold december day back in Landover. I went to the game to see the special announcement, and can remember like yesterday Kristich walking out onto the ice huge smile and taking in the screaming drunk american fan base.

Me tonight: No, that is not Ovi.
----------------------------------------
Definitely odd seeing another player with that #.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Dev Camp during the week is definitely the way to go if you want autographs or pictures. Nobody there and the players will come over and sign anything. Guy yesterday was literally pulling mini helmets, OHL hockey cards, etc. and the boys were signing, he must have gotten ten things signed. Rookie camp/training camp you just don't have access to players that way. As a matter of fact rookie camp is in Florida mostly for the three team tourney they do now.

The scrimmages to end Dev camp stink now, they are just all star games. Everyone is gonna think Samsonov stinks by games end on Saturday. :laugh:

Don't get me wrong, I get it, why have a Cap hurt another Cap, but I remember when there used to be full on fights and passion as well as skill, and it was only about five or six years ago. Wilson wrecked someone his first Dev camp, I was there watching it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Practice how you play. Play how you practice. No hits and no fights... scrimmage skills comps reflect the modern game. It's thus harder for prospects to stand out now. If I was out there, I would be hitting. Heh maybe the coaches say no hitting. Short of being the fastest skater, skating no longer makes one stand out.

If I end up at Kettler at lunch, I will be sporting an orange dress shirt.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ok, so this Axel kid is super slick on his skates. It doesn't need to be said needs to be said. As already noted, it's a bunch of tall kids out there. And as per usual, they all look NHL ready to me. No bad skaters, no fumbled pucks, all fast as shit and big. No wonder drafting is a shot the dark. Sutter looked like a Sutter. I got a good look at Sam's blue eyes. He's big too. Alex² snagged number 27 which is nice so we don't have to sweat a sweater number change in 3 years.

I saw the braintrust up above including Reirden and Blaine deep in discussion. I liked the drills today. Agility drills going around stationary players, very uptempo pace it seemed.

The lady in the merchandise shop seemed seriously stressed out, as I was interupting her stock duties with dumb questions, such as, will you have any toddler stuff this summer? No. Maybe in September.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I think I spotted RH at camp today! A bit Reirden-esque?

Like he said, lots of agility and change of direction drills on the Caps rink. AJF looked explosive. Some of the older/more experienced forwards also stood out. Gersich looked as you'd expect--quick and comfortable. Brian Pinho looked smooth and always in balance. Ikonen (who is Chris Bourque tiny) is really, really quick in small spaces. Effortless in his COD. Priskie also impressed me by how smooth and easy he made it look.

The last 15-20 minutes of the session was spent on the public rink doing some 2v2 and some 3v3 drills. Most entertaining drill to watch was a 3v3 where they split one offensive zone in half width-wise with a line of gloves, and put two goals on the goal line. One player from each team (white v red) couldn't cross the glove line and had to stay in his offensive zone, so it was always a 3 attacking v. 2 defending scenario:

1TFegY5.jpg

Really liked Gersich (no surprise), Alexeyev, and again, Priskie here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad