2018 Sabres' Prospect Challenge - September 7-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Dahlin and Mittelstadt are big names at Prospects Challenge,...

Casey-Mittelstadt-1024x746.jpg

By John Vogl

The Sabres don’t want their Prospects Challenge to be three games of shinny. Sure, the young players will have freedom to make plays (and mistakes), but there will be structure this week.

It’ll be vital for the players to heed the coaches. It could mean the difference between a long look in Buffalo or a quick trip out of town.

“We’re going to add a couple different new things to what we want to do system-wise,” said Rochester coach Chris Taylor, who will lead the Sabres’ prospects. “We’ll see who can grasp it the most and who is willing to take advantage of what they’ve got before the main camp.”

The Sabres announced their roster for the tournament Tuesday, and it includes top prospects Rasmus Dahlin, Casey Mittelstadt, Alex Nylander, Rasmus Asplund, Brendan Guhle, Tage Thompson and Victor Olofsson. Dahlin and Mittelstadt are the only ones with golden tickets to opening night in Buffalo. The rest will need to capture the attention of management and the coaching staff if they hope to start the year with the Sabres.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Bruins To Participate In Prospects Challenge In Buffalo, NY

BOSTON BRUINS ROOKIE CAMP/PROSPECTS CHALLENGE ROSTER

*Roster is subject to change

Forwards: Anders Bjork, Ryan Donato, Ryan Fitzgerald, Carson Focht*, Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson, Trent Frederic, Cameron Hughes, Joona Koppanen, Karson Kuhlman, Jakub Lauko, John Ludvig*, Cedric Pare, Zach Senyshyn, Oskar Steen, Jack Studnicka

Defense: Axel Andersson, Justin Bergeron*, Daniel Bukac, Connor Clifton, Olivier Galipeau, Emil Johansson, Jeremy Lauzon, Wiley Sherman, Urho Vaakanainen, Jakub Zboril

Goaltenders: Kyle Keyser, Daniel Vladar, Dawson Weatherill*

*Denotes player attending camp on invite basis

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Dahlin set to take ice for Sabres in Prospects Challenge

Rasmus Dahlin will play against NHL peers for the first time when the 18-year-old defenseman, chosen No. 1 by the Buffalo Sabres in the 2018 NHL Draft, joins teammates for the Prospects Challenge at HarborCenter beginning Friday.

The Sabres host the round-robin tournament, featuring prospects from the New Jersey Devils, Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins. Each team will play three games in four days.

"I'm just so motivated to win hockey games so I'll bring everything I can to this team and try to win hockey games," Dahlin said in June just before the start of Buffalo's development camp, his first time on the ice as a member of the Sabres. "That's what I think about."

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I like Boston's group a bit, they have some interesting European skaters for sure. Jakub Lauko was one of my favorite draft prospects in the entire draft.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Sabres could have special rookie class

BUFFALO – Right away, the rookie’s skill set – the heavy shot, soft hands and slick speed – wowed Sabres winger Kyle Okposo.

To Okposo, a 10-year NHL veteran, the newcomer “seems to have all the tools” to succeed at hockey’s highest level.

“His release is, I mean, he scored a few goals just kind of in informal skates that just kind of make your eyes open, for sure,” Okposo said Wednesday following a late-summer skate. “What impressed me, obviously, was his release, how good it is, but how soft his hands are around the net, how fast he is. Like, he’s able to just get up and go. …

“I’m looking forward to see how he does in camp.”

So, Okposo was describing Rasmus Dahlin, the defenseman the Sabres drafted first overall, right? Well, no. How about Casey Mittelstadt, one of hockey’s top center prospects? Not exactly.

Try winger Victor Olofsson, the Sabres’ seventh-round pick in 2014 and the Swedish Hockey League’s reigning goal king. Olofsson, 23, is about to start his first season in North America.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
9-6: Amerks' Coach Chris Taylor with The Instigators (12:45)

#Amerks head coach Chris Taylor joins @TheInstigators right now on WGR!

Taylor on Alex Nylander - I think we all forget how young he really is. He had some up and downs with injuries last year, but he had a good finish last season and earned his call up. We want him to get off to a good start this camp after a good summer. #Sabres

Taylor - He's still maturing. These two years he's spent in Rochester and this past season with the playoffs, I think he realizes how much he has to step up. But everyone now realizes what it takes to play in the AHL playoffs. #Sabres

Taylor - He's gifted offensively, but I thought he did better at tracking back and playing defensively for us. #Sabres

Taylor on Brendan Guhle - He's a great kid. He understood the situation he was in last year and did a great job for us. Here and there I thought he was ready for the NHL, but he knew he needed some work and he really worked on his game in Rochester. #Sabres

Taylor - You need internal competition to make guys better in this organization. We want Brendan to push guys and compete for a job in the NHL. If he's not ready, he'll come back and compete in Rochester. #Sabres

Taylor - We have to develop from within. Our job is to push these guys in Rochester, which will allow them to push for jobs in the NHL. #Sabres

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Is it tomorrow yet. I have the day off as I understand the game starts at 3 or 3:30 if I am not mistaken?

I'm so excited hockey is back and those lines. I like.

Also Football starting tonight helps, Fly Eagles Fly!

^
Reason why I took tomorrow off, the prospect game is just a bonus.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Giving Thompson a big opportunity to prove himself with Mittelstadt and Oloffson.

Reactions: Dingo44

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Is it tomorrow yet. I have the day off as I understand the game starts at 3 or 3:30 if I am not mistaken?

I'm so excited hockey is back and those lines. I like.

Also Football starting tonight helps, Fly Eagles Fly!

^
Reason why I took tomorrow off, the prospect game is just a bonus.

I thought it was 7?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Huh, I thought the same thing about Olofsson getting to play with Mittlestadt and Thompson.
I mean olofsson has shown he can play against grown men in a pretty good league. Even if his game doesn't transfer to the NHL I think he's done enough to indicate he'll do well against prospects. Tage hasn't really shown anything yet

Reactions: Chainshot

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Anyone irrationally excited to go to / watch the game tonight? Once Dahlin was confirmed I immediately bought tickets for tonight’s game.

Reactions: kummelweck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad