Post-Series Talk: Colorado Avalanche defeat the Winnipeg Jets, 4-1

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Some bad luck in this game but man Hellybuck with a brutal series.
He wasn't the reason they lost. Winnipeg were outplayed badly in every game except maybe game 5, you're asking a lot from a goalie to stop the highest scoring team in the league when you're chasing all game.

Reactions: Devonator

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Great series by the Avs, they made the right adjustments after game one and played 3 great games and tonight's was just good enough to get some bounces. They're a good team with speed and should give the winner of Dallas/Vegas a tough series. That only one team out of Dallas, Colorado, Vegas, and Winnipeg gets past the second round is just crazy.

Winnipeg never gets past the second round, so its not surprising for them. For the other three I agree tho.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It’s too bad the Jets lost out on the Jake Guentzel sweepstakes at the deadline. His offense would have been greatly welcome in Winnipeg. Seriously trade Ehlers, one of the most overrated players in the NHL.

He's universally praised by the stats crowd, who I usually have time for they do good work, but he's so infuriating to watch. He's unpredictable which is why coaches don't trust him. He's good for o-zone giveaways aplenty every game.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He wasn't the reason they lost. Winnipeg were outplayed badly in every game except maybe game 5, you're asking a lot from a goalie to stop the highest scoring team in the league when you're chasing all game.
They were but when your goalie is your best player you need him to shut the door for stretches let the team find their game.

Reactions: viceroy

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It’s too bad the Jets lost out on the Jake Guentzel sweepstakes at the deadline. His offense would have been greatly welcome in Winnipeg. Seriously trade Ehlers, one of the most overrated players in the NHL.
Ehlers straight up did not show up. Monahan was horrible. Morrisey though, oh man what a beauty. He's like Devon Toews's best traits added to Girardi's best traits.

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
He's universally praised by the stats crowd, who I usually have time for they do good work, but he's so infuriating to watch. He's unpredictable which is why coaches don't trust him. He's good for o-zone giveaways aplenty every game.

The Jets need one more top line forward, Jake Guentzel would have been the perfect fit on their 2nd line. But the Jets couldn’t keep up with the Avs speed, they were chasing the play most of the series.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The Avs depth is no joke this year. They’ve got a second line center who does a lot of the little things that contribute to winning and their bottom lines play fast and heavy. There’s no point in the game where you are going to get to slow down the pace and take a breather.

And this was without one of their better offensive catalysts this year on the ice for a minute of this series and their captain still perms-shelved.

CMac deserves a lot of credit for being active in addressing the things that sank this team’s title defense last year. Active and productive summer, quickly pivoted off the RyJo mistake and then insulated everything at the trade deadline.

Only gets harder from here though. Next round, regardless of opponent, is going to be brutal.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Winnipeg never gets past the second round, so its not surprising for them. For the other three I agree tho.

This core just hasn't had that edge since 2018. Losing Byfuglien and 3 others took years to try and find players that could step up. Asking Pionk and Schmidt to be reliable in their own end was an effort in futility against this Avs team.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
This core just hasn't had that edge since 2018. Losing Byfuglien and 3 others took years to try and find players that could step up. Asking Pionk and Schmidt to be reliable in their own end was an effort in futility against this Avs team.
Against pretty much any team really. Those two are terrible.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Ehlers straight up did not show up. Monahan was horrible. Morrisey though, oh man what a beauty. He's like Devon Toews's best traits added to Girardi's best traits.

Ehlers is a career playoff failure, the dude never shows up. And Hellebuyck I dont think has ever had good numbers in the playoffs. He’s been horrible. He’s just not mentally sharp.

Reactions: Jetland162702

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Doesn't combining Toews and Girard just give you a shorter Toews with a mustache?

Yes Morrisey is damn good. But he's on a bit of an island. I don't even remember half their names but the Jets had some slugs out there. Big dumb guy, Plunk, and whoever else were terrible all series.

It's hard for the offense to get going when the D can't make basic 15 foot passes to start moving the puck up ice.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
What surprised me most with the Avs was their commitment to team defense. The book on the Avs was they aren't good in their own zone and let in a lot of goals. Game 1 was a nonsense game but after that they had tight gaps and speed. Jets were outplayed and have some soul searching to do.
I'm honestly sort of ready to rip it apart and try something else. This core can definitely play some great games, but I never have faith in them coming through when it counts.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
What surprised me most with the Avs was their commitment to team defense. The book on the Avs was they aren't good in their own zone and let in a lot of goals. Game 1 was a nonsense game but after that they had tight gaps and speed. Jets were outplayed and have some soul searching to do.
They still can’t defend a cycle worth a damn, I really expected the jets to dump puck and hit our D. That would have went a long way imo….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad