2018 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
Not sure where I should post this but here is where I'm asking.

Today a Vancouver Canuck followed me on Instagram. It is a verified account and is legitimately him. I can't understand why he would follow my account but for some reason he did. Is this common? I don't follow very many players on Instagram (2 I think?) and he wasn't one of the two I followed. I followed him back, but what is the etiquette for reaching out to him? In my pipe dream I get exclusive info from him and become a Canucks insider or something ahaha
Do you have a hot sister? He might be trying to get an in.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Nope. Thats "Foundational" player

Once Pettersson and Gaudette can handle top6 and middle 6 centre ice he will be traded.

His NTC is a modified where he gets to void 15 teams starting next year and unless Beagle regressess beyond even a 4C level there is little point in both the canucks keeping a 30/31 yr old btm 6 C blocking Gaudette and Sutter wanting to stay in the twilight of his career.
My mistake foundational player,,,He is Bennings guy.He is here until Benning is not.I really dont mind Sutter,i can think of a few others id move before him.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
These rankings for prospects will be like a roller coaster throughout the year and I'm doubtful if Hughes retains the top spot by next draft.

Having said that, I would be against trading up for Hughes if he's still at the top next year. Yes, the romantics of having another pair of 'brothers' leading this team after the Sedins is nice, but not necessary.

There will be plenty of #1 Cs to choose from in our range and the costs to upgrade to Hughes wouldn't be worth it. We need more picks and we need to keep our top level prospects/young nhlers.

Our priorities should be the SC and not just the regular season or Playoffs, where the rules change and the games amp up. We already have 2 highly skilled players on the smaller size that will be targeted. A ton of posters are adding Goldi, Bae, Dahlen, and other similar sized players to their line projections. My concern is a repeat of our players being physically intimidated and worn down by the opposition. I am not suggesting we goon it up by any means at all.

N
ext draft, always take bpa...but if we're in a position to choose between two Cs that are ranked equally and our options are between Hughes and a bigger, more physical player with skills...we should go for the latter.

Being brothers should not factor into any draft selection process as the 'hometown' issue should also be excluded.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
These rankings for prospects will be like a roller coaster throughout the year and I'm doubtful if Hughes retains the top spot by next draft.

Having said that, I would be against trading up for Hughes if he's still at the top next year. Yes, the romantics of having another pair of 'brothers' leading this team after the Sedins is nice, but not necessary.

There will be plenty of #1 Cs to choose from in our range and the costs to upgrade to Hughes wouldn't be worth it. We need more picks and we need to keep our top level prospects/young nhlers.

Our priorities should be the SC and not just the regular season or Playoffs, where the rules change and the games amp up. We already have 2 highly skilled players on the smaller size that will be targeted. A ton of posters are adding Goldi, Bae, Dahlen, and other similar sized players to their line projections. My concern is a repeat of our players being physically intimidated and worn down by the opposition. I am not suggesting we goon it up by any means at all.

N
ext draft, always take bpa...but if we're in a position to choose between two Cs that are ranked equally and our options are between Hughes and a bigger, more physical player with skills...we should go for the latter.

Being brothers should not factor into any draft selection process as the 'hometown' issue should also be excluded.

Hughes will be the BPA.

If it’s between him and anyone else, you take Hughes.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

N

Agree with not trading up, but Hughes will go #1 OA.

Cozens
Newhook
Dach
Turcotte

All look to have #1 Center potential. Especially Cozens and Newhook

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
[QUOTE="FOurteenS inCisOr, post: 14917[/QUOTE
Hughes will be the BPA.

If it’s between him and anyone else, you take Hughes
[/QUOTE]

? Thats what I said...take bpa.

but, if there's not an outright bpa and there's another C available that is Ranked similar to Hughes, I would prefer the larger, more physical C. If the skill, speed and two-way play was there...

Just as an example, the jets were considered a physical force with a lot of skill, but the reffing and style of play during the Playoffs seemed too much for Ehlers. Gives me trepidations considering the number of highly skilled smaller players we already have.

Like I said, SC should be the objective and not just making the Playoffs.

Last edited:

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Agree with not trading up, but Hughes will go #1 OA.

Cozens
Newhook
Dach
Turcotte

All look to have #1 Center potential. Especially Cozens and Newhook

If he is ranked #1 OA great, I don't expect us to win the the 1st pick anyways.

At the moment, any one of those players you mentioned would be a win in my books.

I think our future would be much better off with the addition of one of those players, as opposed to trading future picks, a prospect and/or one of our younger NHLers just to acquire Hughes.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
If he is ranked #1 OA great, I don't expect us to win the the 1st pick anyways.

At the moment, any one of those players you mentioned would be a win in my books.

I think our future would be much better off with the addition of one of those players, as opposed to trading future picks, a prospect and/or one of our younger NHLers just to acquire Hughes.
Agreed

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

But you also said if it’s “between Hughes and a bigger more physical player, choose the latter”...

If you get the 1st pick it’s not going to be between Hughes and anybody.

And it has nothing to do with the Canucks already drafting Quinn.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
But you also said if it’s “between Hughes and a bigger more physical player, choose the latter”...

If you get the 1st pick it’s not going to be between Hughes and anybody.

And it has nothing to do with the Canucks already drafting Quinn.

I'm not gonna waste my time if you don't put in the effort to comprehend what I stated. Instead of taking just snippets from my post, piece together the points and you'll get a better understanding...

You may be confident that Hughes will be ranked 1st OA by next draft...I think it's a long season sh*t happens. I'm not interested in some foolish middle school argument about who's dad is tougher, it never gets proven. Just like the argument you want to have about who 1st OA will be...it can't be resolved now, need to wait and see.

And yes, if there is another player that has more physical attributes combined with skill and speed, who is ranked the same as Hughes, I prefer that pick. This means that there is no outright bpa when we pick, other players might surpass Hughes or maybe Hughes fails to impress.

Lastly, if you think this idiotic mgt will overlook the marketing aspects of another pair of brothers to indulge the fans with, than I don't know what to tell you. Furthermore, you would be naive to think that JV was chosen purely on his abilities alone, 'hometown boy' was also part of the denomination in his selection.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
I'm not gonna waste my time if you don't put in the effort to comprehend what I stated. Instead of taking just snippets from my post, piece together the points and you'll get a better understanding...

You may be confident that Hughes will be ranked 1st OA by next draft...I think it's a long season sh*t happens. I'm not interested in some foolish middle school argument about who's dad is tougher, it never gets proven. Just like the argument you want to have about who 1st OA will be...it can't be resolved now, need to wait and see.

And yes, if there is another player that has more physical attributes combined with skill and speed, who is ranked the same as Hughes, I prefer that pick. This means that there is no outright bpa when we pick, other players might surpass Hughes or maybe Hughes fails to impress.

Lastly, if you think this idiotic mgt will overlook the marketing aspects of another pair of brothers to indulge the fans with, than I don't know what to tell you. Furthermore, you would be naive to think that JV was chosen purely on his abilities alone, 'hometown boy' was also part of the denomination in his selection.

Seems you’re already wasting a lot of time and key strokes—but hey, you do you.

I’m only acknowledging “snippets” of your post, because the rest is fantasy—even more so than the prospect of the Canucks drafting 1st overall, which is something that could actually happen.

Another prospect usurping Hughes won’t. Enough “sh*t” can’t happen for that to occur. I suggest you read up on the 2019 draft.

Continue to ramble on about size, JV, and the marketing potential of brothers—it’s superfluous.

They’ll only get the chance to draft Hughes if they get 1st overall, in which case it should be a choice even JB can’t screw up.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Seems you’re already wasting a lot of time and key strokes—but hey, you do you.

I’m only acknowledging “snippets” of your post, because the rest is fantasy—even more so than the prospect of the Canucks drafting 1st overall, which is something that could actually happen.

Another prospect usurping Hughes won’t. Enough “sh*t” can’t happen for that to occur. I suggest you read up on the 2019 draft.

Continue to ramble on about size, JV, and the marketing potential of brothers—it’s superfluous.

They’ll only get the chance to draft Hughes if they get 1st overall, in which case it should be a choice even JB can’t screw up.

First, let me apologize for not being able to explain it to you with crayons...

Now go play nicely in the sandbox, I'm sure you can find a willing playmate to discuss what will happen in the future...

Run along now, but be careful because rumour is that his daddy can beat up your daddy.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
First, let me apologize for not being able to explain it to you with crayons...

Now go play nicely in the sandbox, I'm sure you can find a willing playmate to discuss what will happen in the future...

Run along now, but be careful because rumour is that his daddy can beat up your daddy.

Actually, I think crayons are a great idea.

Next time you have an opinion jot it down with your crayons and put it on the fridge—seems like you could use a safer space to post than an internet forum, since you can’t handle someone contesting your opinion without becoming aggravated and deflecting the discussion from hockey to strange scenarios that involve dads fighting.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Actually, I think crayons are a great idea.

Next time you have an opinion jot it down with your crayons and put it on the fridge—seems like you could use a safer space to post than an internet forum, since you can’t handle someone contesting your opinion without becoming aggravated and deflecting the discussion from hockey to strange scenarios that involve dads fighting.

You're not paying attention if you don't understand the dad fighting bit...
stock-photo-words-back-to-school-written-in-blue-crayon-on-paper-301160996.jpg

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

For another player to surpass Hughes, he would have to clearly show Hughes-level talent. No one has. Talent is evident from the outset. Hughes is clearly ahead. That's why people are saying he will remain at #1. Other players may have great years, and Hughes may struggle, but that talent level will not change. This is why he's all but assured to go #1.

As an aside: It was different in 2017 where Patrick fell and Hischier rose to overtake him. Patrick was not regarded as the most talented player in his class. His injuries coupled with more talented players excelling led to his drop. In 2019, no one is more talented than Hughes.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
For another player to surpass Hughes, he would have to clearly show Hughes-level talent. No one has. Talent is evident from the outset. Hughes is clearly ahead. That's why people are saying he will remain at #1. Other players may have great years, and Hughes may struggle, but that talent level will not change. This is why he's all but assured to go #1.

As an aside: It was different in 2017 where Patrick fell and Hischier rose to overtake him. Patrick was not regarded as the most talented player in his class. His injuries coupled with more talented players excelling led to his drop. In 2019, no one is more talented than Hughes.

I prefer the wait and see approach...yes, Hughes is considered the top of the class now (I never said otherwise), but nothing is set in stone. Stranger things have happened...

Regardless, my point was a hypothetical one...not really meant for argument.

I'm not sure if you read my original post because 'someone' derailed it into a fruitless argument by lack of comprehension.

Hypothetically, 'IF' the situation arises where there is no consesus bpa...I would prefer another pick other than Hughes if another player has other attributes (and he was tied in ranking) that could compliment our run for the SC...eventually...hopefully...maybe. **Hard to say this with Benning still at the helm** To discuss this, you have to accept a possible scenario that another player is ranked equal to Hughes... fantasy or not.

Regardless, my point was that I do not care to trade up for Hughes if we're in a situation where he's not available at our pick...if you disagree, I'm willing to converse about this. We can discuss pros and cons, roi, potential lines, marketability, etc.

What I'm not willing to debate on is what will happen a year from now. This type of argument is not only nonsensical, it won't get resolved and only waste time for everyone involved. I cannot see a conclusion to this if someone cannot accept the possibility of multiple variables that could affect results.

I would've bet everything on Trump losing...that seemed like a sure bet at the time.

Leicester city winning English Premier League...

More related to individual performances, Michael Jordon's rise in bball. NOBODY had expected him to reach the levels that he did in the NBA. As a Tar Heel, he was considered very good, but far from consesus #1 OA...he was the 3rd pick. In one year, his first year as a Bull, he pulled himself away from the field and won Rookie of the Year and now...considered by many to be the greatest of all time.

All I'm saying is that there are no difinitives in life and I will never underestimate the potential of a young person with passion. Can't change my thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad