Status
Not open for further replies.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Hopefully more of shake up then that.

Time for more of a shakeup then that.

It’s time for Edler to go.

Lockup Tanev long term at a decent price
This is also the wrong direction! I’ll go with the guy who is less injury prone! Edler has been the Canucks best defenceman for some time and never gets any love! He’s never gonna be a 50 point guy ever again, but has consistently for nearly a decade logged 22+ mins a night and almost always 20+ points from him. You dump Tanev now before we really get nothing for him! The hype train for Tanev went of the rails long ago and everyone in the league knows it.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I agree with this, but RHD and top 6 C are probably the hardest positions to find in the draft. You can see the latter in the latest draft, especially highlighted by Hayton going ahead of Zadina and Hughes.

Anyways, the point being there isn't any high end RHD in the system right now, and unless we trade Tanev or our prospect depth on wing for one, we won't be acquiring one either. Myers would be a transition piece from the rebuild to contention, eat valuable minutes, create a steadying presence on the team, has had success as a young player, has played on terrible teams and has now played on successful teams. I'd sign him for term at similar cap hit. He was overpaid (based on percentage of cap taken) on his previous deal but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value.
Again there’s almost zero reasoning for a guy like Myers to sign short term ala Mike Green! He’s much younger and probably the most aware of his own injury history! His main goal will be term! I’ll bet any avatar bet on that.

MrBojangles

Mar 19, 2012
This is also the wrong direction! I’ll go with the guy who is less injury prone! Edler has been the Canucks best defenceman for some time and never gets any love! He’s never gonna be a 50 point guy ever again, but has consistently for nearly a decade logged 22+ mins a night and almost always 20+ points from him. You dump Tanev now before we really get nothing for him! The hype train for Tanev went of the rails long ago and everyone in the league knows it.
232 games over last 4 year or 264. Not huge difference and Tanev has had some bad luck mainly

Edler never gets any love because people watch him play lol

Tanev is better player and four years younger

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Fair enough, lots of hockey to be played and storylines to be written in the meantime. For what it's worth I would give Myers $5.5 x 5 in UFA based on the assumption the cap keeps going up. There is barely any money tied up in the blueline after 19-20, especially with both Hughes and Juolevi on ELC's, and you can lump in savings in goaltending as well with Demko (and maybe even MDP in a perfect storm of crazy) coming soon.

I wonder if there's been any news as to whether or not Edler would be willing to move as a rental this trade deadline, as he is a UFA next year and the circumstances would be different (ie: he may have wrapped his head around leaving at the year anyways). Good suggestion re: Avs.

If the cap goes up, I think Myers will get 6m per for 6 years. Likely more. If 4th liners can get 3m AAV over 4 years here, Myers would break the bank before he agreed to come to VAN. He knows he can get paid here.

CHI is interesting to me. Three of their top4 prospects are RHDs: Boqvist, Jokiharju and Mitchell. Mitchell was attainable with the late 2nd rounder VAN had, where the team took Gadjovich instead. Anyway, CHI is a good trading partner. Just need for them to be good next year.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Lifted from Seachd's thread in the main signing/trade board:

- Cole Candella (D)
- Cole Cassels (F)
- Anton Cederholm (D)
- Michael Chaput (F)
- Nic Dowd (F)
- Jussi Jokinen (F)
- Joe LaBate (F)
- Brett McKenzie (F)
- Jayson Megna (F)
- Griffen Molino (F)
- Daniel Sedin (F)
- Henrik Sedin (F)
- Mackenze Stewart (D)
- Jakob Stukel (F)
- Patrick Wiercioch (D)

+ Jay Beagle (F)
+ Quinn Hughes (D)
+ Tanner Kero (F)
+ Tyler Madden (F)
+ Artem Manukyan (F)
+ Antoine Roussel (F)
+ Tim Schaller (F)
+ Matt Thiessen (G)
+ Toni Utunen (D)
+ Jett Woo (D)

Aside from the twin elephants in the room, I'd argue we're in better shape.

Granted those are big elephants, but those two are our only real deductions. Beagle, Roussel and Schaller > Megna, Dowd and Jokinen. The Sedins production won't magically be replaced, but if Boeser shows any signs of development and progression, and if Pettersson makes his debut, we're in good hands offensively.

The new contracts suck, but if we compare them to Del Zotto or Gagner from last year, the ceiling is lower for what I would expect for contribution. It's hard to measure offense vs. defense contributions, but I don't think we will be surprised with Roussel's agitation or Beagle's shut down play. If they don't score 20 goals and 40 points I don't think we will be as upset as spending comparable money on players who are expected to do that.

I'm not optimistic about this years team, but I feel the games will be more entertaining then last year. On that note, does anyone have an option for local games through something like center ice without a cable package?

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
WHERES TGE HARM IN INVITING A LEGEND AND MENTOR TO A TRYOUT

IF HE MAKES THE TEAM GREAT IF NOT WHERES THE LOSS

CANUCKS NEED THIS TYPE OF PLAYER TO MENTOR THE YOUNG GUYS

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
WHERES TGE HARM IN INVITING A LEGEND AND MENTOR TO A TRYOUT

IF HE MAKES THE TEAM GREAT IF NOT WHERES THE LOSS

CANUCKS NEED THIS TYPE OF PLAYER TO MENTOR THE YOUNG GUYS

He certainly would mentor a work ethic. Nobody does more physical work in season than Jagr. Every young player he has skated with in the last decade or more has had nothing but high praise for what they have learned from him. This is real mentoring not just lip service to it from the GM and GM supporters. However, he may have reached the point that his speed just can't cut it anymore.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
“aside from losing the 2nd and 3rd leading scorers on our team and replacing them with plumbers and walmart workers i’d argue we’re in better shape”

The issue is that we not only need to replace the production from Sedins and Vanek but we also need to improve upon their production if we want to be competitive. We definitely can’t expect much offence from the backend, even if Stecher and Hutton improve.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
“aside from losing the 2nd and 3rd leading scorers on our team and replacing them with plumbers and walmart workers i’d argue we’re in better shape”
So is Petterson a plumber or a walnut worker? He should get Henrik's role. Lipsic or Goldy Daniels.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

This board: Pettersson and Boeser are all star scorers. Dahlen and Gaudette could be all right.

Also this board: Our team is worse with the Sedins not on it.

Also this board, as late as just prior to their announcement of retirement: The Sedins need to retire ASAP. They're going to fall off a cliff real soon.

This board, but in the event we sign someone to replace one or both Sedins: They're gunna block Pettersson and Boeser and Dahlen and Gaudette. *

The plumbers and walmart workers, who I drew a direct comparison to, is who the new plumbers and walmart workers are replacing.

*Speculation on my part. Tavares would have been the only player capable of replacing the Sedins, or even a Sedin, offensively. Anyone else would be a huge contract for lower scoring, as the second tier free agents will likely be in the Eriksson/Ladd/Lucic/Okposo tier to come to our team as is.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
If we're lucky Pettersson will replace Vanek from last year. Still nothing for Twins. I wouldn't expect more than a 5-10pt increase from better offensive time for Horvat/Boeser, however Boeser is still developing and could leap

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Karlsson would drive the powerplay. Canucks do not have an NHL PP QB. There is cap space.

The Canucks young top six would not suffer from Karlsson's contribution. Green preaches defensive responsibility to his forwards, that compliments Karlsson's game. It explains the defense moves or lack thereof.

Fun rumor!

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Karlsson would drive the powerplay. Canucks do not have an NHL PP QB. There is cap space.

The Canucks young top six would not suffer from Karlsson's contribution. Green preaches defensive responsibility to his forwards, that compliments Karlsson's game. It explains the defense moves or lack thereof.

Fun rumor!
The price is far outside the realms of possibility for this team. That’s also banking on the fact that the prospects and young players we have hit their ultimate peak potential as well! Which is a bigger gamble imho than Karlsson actually re-signing a contract here. Acquiring Karlsson is the management group going all in that their belief is this core of Bo/Boeser/Petey isn’t Hall/Eberle/RNH of the pre-McDavid core Oilers! Again that’s the biggest gamble!

Reactions: JuniorNelson

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks regularly project a player into a role he can't handle. Look who the starter is. Their roster is filled with guys that need best case scenarios to succeed. They are optimists. I have no doubt they think this team is very near playoff contention.

Remember how Luongo was the last piece Aquilini needed? Remember what he did? Knowing that (and there are other examples), I find the Karlsson rumor looks credible. Even if it is just silly Summer click bait, it makes sense. Karlsson would fit and address a serious need. Canucks still, on paper, need to add some scoring. A top offensive defenseman would elevate the entire forward corps. The impact of a Karlsson led powerplay alone makes this an obvious player to target.

Can Benning do it? Unknown. Could Aquilini? I think the answer is yes.

MrBojangles

Mar 19, 2012
you people are so out of touch with reality, no pettersson is not replacing henrik sedin, brandon sutter is.
We’ve seen his minutes cut from almost playing 19 a game down to 17 last year.

Also seen him move to wing at times, I think they must realize what he is.

But ya 2nd line Center still massive hole. They probably will start him there and he will drag down who ever he’s playing with

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
you people are so out of touch with reality, no pettersson is not replacing henrik sedin, brandon sutter is.

by going out and signing a perron and neal it would definitely replace the sedins. but to a team rebuilding it means it means 2 younger players would not be on the team. and that playing time is needed for players like goldobin to see if theres actuslly something there.

the team needed bottoms 6 replacments(gaunce hasnt developed, granlund is a replacement player) and now has to have a strong bottom six to support the younger kids.
pettersson will get time at c to start, so i dont see that position going to sutter right away.

bottom 6 as is.
roussell-sutter-virtanen
schaller/leipsic-beagle- gagner

as is we have a solid bottom 6 that can handle other teams offensive threats. if we didnt we would be throwin prospects to the wolves in the few minutes a game theyd get which would hurt their development.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
by going out and signing a perron and neal it would definitely replace the sedins. but to a team rebuilding it means it means 2 younger players would not be on the team. and that playing time is needed for players like goldobin to see if theres actuslly something there.

the team needed bottoms 6 replacments(gaunce hasnt developed, granlund is a replacement player) and now has to have a strong bottom six to support the younger kids.
pettersson will get time at c to start, so i dont see that position going to sutter right away.

bottom 6 as is.
roussell-sutter-virtanen
schaller/leipsic-beagle- gagner

as is we have a solid bottom 6 that can handle other teams offensive threats. if we didnt we would be throwin prospects to the wolves in the few minutes a game theyd get which would hurt their development.

Our bottom 6 was our only strength last year and we spent a crap ton of money to make it worse.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I am heavy on the trade Horvat bandwagon right now. It would go a long way to explain the UFA pick-ups, load up on the current youth window headlined by EP and QH, and give us a bunch more assets to flip to try and get Jack Hughes in 2019 if we don't win the lottery. I really like Horvat, and I think he's a star in this league, but given his age he might be almost 30 by the time this team is back in actual Stanley Cup Contention.

I would combine the recent chatter about Dante Fabbro and trade Horvat to Nashville. Also get Elias Pettersson's brother out of Nashville too.

To Van:
Dante Fabbro
Emil Pettersson
2019 1st
2020 1st (Top-10 Protected)

To Nas:
Horvat
4th 2019 (Benning Tax)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events