2018 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Eriksson could be a useful spare. He can play any forward position. He might be the Canucks best playmaker? Somebody is going to have to set up Boeser.

Canucks have forced themselves into this position and left no outs. We have to assume they wanted this outcome.

I'd agree you just deal with the situation because it's a terrible contract and wouldn't be worth paying the price to offload. But the Canucks best playmaker? I dunno ... it's pretty barren but the guy had 13 assists in 50 games last year. Leipsic and Baertschi are better playmakers based on last year's totals.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd agree you just deal with the situation because it's a terrible contract and wouldn't be worth paying the price to offload. But the Canucks best playmaker? I dunno ... it's pretty barren but the guy had 13 assists in 50 games last year. Leipsic and Baertschi are better playmakers based on last year's totals.

I think the problem with that is both played time with Horvat and other bonifide top six talent, such as ours is. Look at Granlund for evidence of that sort of phenomenon as well. Not to say he shouldn't be driving play for what's he's earning, but I firmly believe that you'll play as well as your linemates. Put Eriksson with a scorer before we condemn him entirely.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I might have succumbed to hyperbole describing Eriksson as Canucks best playmaker. He is very smart about where he is on the ice and this drives play development. He isn't really a set-up man but I think he could be a useful part of the attack. He can hold the puck at the point and distribute it. Canucks never really counted on him to run plays but you can see he can do it. If he gets the assignment he might prosper? He seems miscast as a checker.

TruGrit makes a good point about Leipsic and Baertschi. They are great options. Canucks will need depth behind slight forwards. Neither of those guys played sixty games last season. I hope the vets are viewed as great insurance and not TOI leaders. Eriksson, as a super spare, might be Canucks greatest asset! :eyeroll:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If we want to dump Eriksson on a cap floor team, it's going to cost us something like juolevi. Maybe more.

he has a full ntc for two years. it is unlikely he would agree to go to any team that would want him to meet the cap floor. our best hope is that seattle takes him to get to the cap floor.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
You assume they high higher level thought processes. I do not.

If they did think the way you suggest, why would they sign 4 year deals? Boeser is up after this year. Gaudette has two more years. Pettersson and Juolevi likely have 3 years. Somewhere in this time period we will also get slammed with cap benefit recapture for Luongo that may last more than one year.

I don't assume they have higher level thought processes at all. I think they are asinine to think this team is close to playoff contention and for signing 4th liners to long term contracts. I was just trying to "think" from their perspective as to why they made those moves. As for why they signed 4 year deals? That's simple. Beagle/Roussel wouldn't sign in Vancouver unless they were being over paid in terms of salary or term, or both.

Reactions: ginner classic

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
The people who think we can easily dump all these bad contracts are the same people who defend Jim not weaponizing the cap space by saying these trades rarely happen

Good times.
Is it a good thing or a bad thing these "overpaid 7" along with their 27M in cap space can't be dumped?
These 7 help ensure we tank next season

The idea being the tank remains strong, and as a season or two go by it becomes easier to get rid of the contacts. Be it trade (shorter terms and lower real salaries) or LTIR (age)

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Is it a good thing or a bad thing these "overpaid 7" along with their 27M in cap space can't be dumped?
These 7 help ensure we tank next season

The idea being the tank remains strong, and as a season or two go by it becomes easier to get rid of the contacts. Be it trade (shorter terms and lower real salaries) or LTIR (age)

Not if they keep signing these kinds of contracts, and I’ve seen no indication that they’re going to stop anytime soon.

MrBojangles

Mar 19, 2012
Forward Depth ranking. This team has 7 guys who can play Center so may be better ignoring positions when looking at forwards.

1. Horvat
2. Boeser
3. Petterson
4. Sutter
5. Eriksson
6. Baertschi
7. Roussel
8. Leipsic
9. Goldobin
10. virtanen
11. Granlund
12. Gaudette
13. Gagner
14. Schaller
15. Beagle

This teams gonna be bottom 5 in league and the D core is embarrassing. But seeing how Leipsic Goldy JV Gaudette can potentially fit with EP Bo and Brock will make any fan pumped for the year

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I know this is the 2018 fantasy GM thread, but I think in the 2019 off season our main target should be Tyler Myers. Big RHD good for about 30 pts and a big minute eater. Has local roots too having played in Kelowna and I think he still lives there in the off season. Would shore up a big hole for us, and lessen the blow of trading Tanev if we wanted to. Or we could keep both Edler and Tanev and have a fairly decent defense.

Edler Tanev
Hughes Myers
Juolevi Gudbranson
Biega Stetcher

And fingers crossed Tryamkin comes back...

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

MrBojangles

Mar 19, 2012
I know this is the 2018 fantasy GM thread, but I think in the 2019 off season our main target should be Tyler Myers. Big RHD good for about 30 pts and a big minute eater. Has local roots too having played in Kelowna and I think he still lives there in the off season. Would shore up a big hole for us, and lessen the blow of trading Tanev if we wanted to. Or we could keep both Edler and Tanev and have a fairly decent defense.

Edler Tanev
Hughes Myers
Juolevi Gudbranson
Biega Stetcher

Hopefully more of shake up then that.

Time for more of a shakeup then that.

It’s time for Edler to go.

Lockup Tanev long term at a decent price

MrBojangles

Mar 19, 2012
Everyone down on Hutton but I hope they give him another shot this year.
He can easily replace what Edler gives u these days, hopefully move a Edler for a first or asset
Hutton Tanev
Pouliot Stecher
Del Zotto Gud
Juolevi Biega

Chatfield gonna be gunning for Gudbranson spot

If this team wants to compete in 2019/20 I think they need to keep Tanev . And hope he’s healthy

Reactions: vancityluongo

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Everyone down on Hutton but I hope they give him another shot this year.
He can easily replace what Edler gives u these days, hopefully move a Edler for a first or asset
Hutton Tanev
Pouliot Stecher
Del Zotto Gud
Juolevi Biega

Chatfield gonna be gunning for Gudbranson spot

If this team wants to compete in 2019/20 I think they need to keep Tanev . And hope he’s healthy

Hutton can’t even touch what Edler brings when he’s in the lineup.

I still have hope Hutton can bounce back after a tough season, but even at his best, he can’t replace what Edler brings 23 minutes a night against top lines.

MrBojangles

Mar 19, 2012
It can’t get any worse. I don’t know if I’d want Edler as a top 4 dman after how he looks .
Skating out same d core when we’ve seen pretty much same group as this team has gone downhill last couple year.

I think amongst most Canucks fans it would be highly debatable how effective Edler 2018 is

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
It can’t get any worse. I don’t know if I’d want Edler as a top 4 dman after how he looks .
Skating out same d core when we’ve seen pretty much same group as this team has gone downhill last couple year.

I think amongst most Canucks fans it would be highly debatable how effective Edler 2018 is
Edler had 34 points in 70 games last year, thats pro rated to like 40 points over a full season all while on our terrible team. Over the last 3 years he has 18 goals in 190 games. The ONLY argument for getting rid of Edler is if we get good picks/assets back to make it worthwhile and an OJ or Hughes is ready to take over his workload. Your take here is crap

MrBojangles

Mar 19, 2012
sure There is.

It’s a bottom 5 team and he’s a UFA.

I personally never saw it with Edler. He never took the next step and looked confident with puck.

We’ve seen him as the top pair D for lot of years now. Time to move on.

I think Canucks will hope he looks good this year and move him in February.

Though extension possible.

Not trading Edler would be the contrarian move from what most teams in league would do in similar situation.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Edler had 34 points in 70 games last year, thats pro rated to like 40 points over a full season all while on our terrible team. Over the last 3 years he has 18 goals in 190 games. The ONLY argument for getting rid of Edler is if we get good picks/assets back to make it worthwhile and an OJ or Hughes is ready to take over his workload. Your take here is crap
I agree Edler is underrated and we need him but using his point totals doesn’t really make a strong argument for his play. Only reason he gets points is because he plays on the top pp unit. If we had a better offensive d to play there in place of Edler, the pp would be way better.

MrBojangles

Mar 19, 2012
Edler is 32.

Best case this core is two years away from competing

U want to lock up 34 year old Edler

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Edler is 32.

Best case this core is two years away from competing

U want to lock up 34 year old Edler

I have no issue with trading Edler if the return makes it worthwhile.

If the return doesn’t make it worthwhile, I’m fine keeping him—he’s a good 2/3 defenseman.

But to suggest Hutton could easily replace him is ridiculous.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Edler Tanev
Hughes Myers
Juolevi Gudbranson
Biega Stetcher

By the 2019 offseason, Edler and Tanev should have already been traded.

No Myers please. He's had a terrible injury history and just isn't that good. Will command big money. I'd rather fill out the roster with lower end RHD depth, trade for RHD prospects, and just let it play out. Guys like Jan Rutta and Nick Jensen spring to mind. If he comes cheap, Anton Stralman would be decent as well (unlikely).

I would like to see the following defense for that season:

Hughes-Rutta
Tryamkin-Stecher
Juolevi-Gudbranson
McEneny-Biega

Trade:

Edler
Tanev
Hutton
Del Zotto

*Trade Gudbranson at the deadline of the 19-20 season, or in the 19-20 offseason.

The major objective is to get long-term RHD options. Grow them, don't buy them. Not yet anyway.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
The major objective is to get long-term RHD options. Grow them, don't buy them. Not yet anyway.

I agree with this, but RHD and top 6 C are probably the hardest positions to find in the draft. You can see the latter in the latest draft, especially highlighted by Hayton going ahead of Zadina and Hughes.

Anyways, the point being there isn't any high end RHD in the system right now, and unless we trade Tanev or our prospect depth on wing for one, we won't be acquiring one either. Myers would be a transition piece from the rebuild to contention, eat valuable minutes, create a steadying presence on the team, has had success as a young player, has played on terrible teams and has now played on successful teams. I'd sign him for term at similar cap hit. He was overpaid (based on percentage of cap taken) on his previous deal but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I agree with this, but RHD and top 6 C are probably the hardest positions to find in the draft. You can see the latter in the latest draft, especially highlighted by Hayton going ahead of Zadina and Hughes.

Anyways, the point being there isn't any high end RHD in the system right now, and unless we trade Tanev or our prospect depth on wing for one, we won't be acquiring one either. Myers would be a transition piece from the rebuild to contention, eat valuable minutes, create a steadying presence on the team, has had success as a young player, has played on terrible teams and has now played on successful teams. I'd sign him for term at similar cap hit. He was overpaid (based on percentage of cap taken) on his previous deal but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value.

Myers is headed for a 5m+ paycheck. Most likely, it will be a 5-6 year deal. That's a conservative estimate. If he has a good year, I can see it going up to 6m per. Would you pay that?

VAN should be able to get a top6 C this draft. They are projected to finish at the bottom and there are a few options with Turcotte, Dach and perhaps Krebs. RHDs will be hard to find. You're right. As you've said, trading Tanev, Edler etc... could net the team that prospect. Tough to say.

Maybe Colorado trades Timmins for Edler if they're close? They have Makar in the pipeline, with Johnson and Barrie there for at least 2 years. Or, CHI becomes good again and they are open to moving Jokiharju? Then there's the question of what ANA is willing to do to keep challenging for the division? A great deal can happen before next offseason.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Fair enough, lots of hockey to be played and storylines to be written in the meantime. For what it's worth I would give Myers $5.5 x 5 in UFA based on the assumption the cap keeps going up. There is barely any money tied up in the blueline after 19-20, especially with both Hughes and Juolevi on ELC's, and you can lump in savings in goaltending as well with Demko (and maybe even MDP in a perfect storm of crazy) coming soon.

I wonder if there's been any news as to whether or not Edler would be willing to move as a rental this trade deadline, as he is a UFA next year and the circumstances would be different (ie: he may have wrapped his head around leaving at the year anyways). Good suggestion re: Avs.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008

Edler Tanev
Hughes Myers
Juolevi Gudbranson
Biega Stetcher

The guys played like 1 82 game season in his career and it was in a highly sheltered #5 role with one of the top 5 regular season teams. If his asking price is similar to the money he’s being paid now sure. But it won’t be! The Canucks should focus on their own core and supplementing with high quality draft picks! There should be almost literally ZERO dollars spent in free agency for the next two off seasons! The plan should be TANK TANK TANK! This year and maybe start looking at small improvements over the following 2 seasons pushing towards a playoff date. Otherwise there are far too many holes on this team in key critical areas to just ignore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad