2018 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
1. What FA _only_ thinks about money and nothing else when signing a deal? Even a mercenary considers the context.

It was only about money unless Beagle and Roussel are here so they can get more holidays by skipping the playoffs. They are only here because we paid them more than everyone else was prepared too.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It was only about money unless Beagle and Roussel are here so they can get more holidays by skipping the playoffs. They are only here because we paid them more than everyone else was prepared too.

They prioritized money. They didn't think only about money. There's a difference. A mercenary going to a team thinks about playing time, strength of the team, money, term etc... Even if ends up dismissing one of these factors on his way to holding money and term up to the highest level.

Reactions: timw33

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
They prioritized money. They didn't think only about money. There's a difference. A mercenary going to a team thinks about playing time, strength of the team, money, term etc... Even if ends up dismissing one of these factors on his way to holding money and term up to the highest level.

They probably also saw the example of Eriksson, Gagner and Gudbranson and realized we have a market where you can be a total overpaid crap veteran and nobody gives you a hard time or takes away your ice time.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The Canucks overpay in free agency as a strategy. This is a legitimate approach and they have won some auctions. Benning did some hockey moves this Summer and they were costly. Green will be able to ice a fully functional veteran team.

I hope they are going to emerge from camp with Tanev as senior skater. I hope they have a teenager line. They have young leaders. They have lots of veteran depth. They have a new guy at the hockey ops helm. Now is the time!

Benning may make some moves before camp. He can still afford an upgrade or two. I hope he doesn't bungle it. It wouldn't be crazy to add an advisor. This is obviously a key moment.

Last edited:

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Canucks will have 15 players signed and close to 31 mil in cap space next summer with the likes of Karlsson, Seguin and Duchene possibly hitting FA.

We will have 26.891mil tied up in Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Baertschi, Gudbranson, Gagner and Eriksson.

This of course doesn’t include the Boeser contract which is suspect is over 8mil.

Overpaying for 2 of those guys would prob have a statue built for Benning instead of all these pylons

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
sutter, baertschi, gagner all have easily tradeable contracts at the moment. in gagners case with retention.
after erikssons signing bonus next year he is owed 9mil for 3 years, a great deal considering the cap hit is 6mil amd perfect for a team that needs to hit the cap floor

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
sutter, baertschi, gagner all have easily tradeable contracts at the moment. in gagners case with retention.
after erikssons signing bonus next year he is owed 9mil for 3 years, a great deal considering the cap hit is 6mil amd perfect for a team that needs to hit the cap floor

Eriksson for 3 million a year is hardly a great deal. He's still overpaid at that, much less finding a team that can fit the 6 million cap hit.

Reactions: timw33

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
People always say this, but how many teams these days even make deals to get to the cap floor? The Wings has to pay the Yotes to take Datsyuk’s cap hit a few years ago.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
People always say this, but how many teams these days even make deals to get to the cap floor? The Wings has to pay the Yotes to take Datsyuk’s cap hit a few years ago.
The only teams it kinda makes sense is Carolina or Arizona for cap floor purposes. Vegas’ bump in teams cap space raised the floor

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
If we want to dump Eriksson on a cap floor team, it's going to cost us something like juolevi. Maybe more.

The people who think we can easily dump all these bad contracts are the same people who defend Jim not weaponizing the cap space by saying these trades rarely happen

Good times.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I’m pretty sure the thought process has been that these long bad contracts don’t matter cause they’ll come off the books when we’re ready to compete. Stupid thinking but I think that’s what management is thinking.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
A
I’m pretty sure the thought process has been that these long bad contracts don’t matter cause they’ll come off the books when we’re ready to compete. Stupid thinking but I think that’s what management is thinking.

According to management we are good now...

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

I'm pretty sure the thought process from management is that starting next year, this team will be back in playoff contention and with the cheap contracts of Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Juolevi etc can afford to overpay on veteran bottom 6'ers to fill out the bottom half of the line-up.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Teams taking on bad contracts to hit the cap floor isn't a thing anymore. Any team doing that now is weaponizing their cap space and will expect to be compensated for it. It's not like both teams are doing each other a favor.

Every team is well over the floor by a few million with the exception of the Devil's and they are still over it. Teams that sign bad contracts are stuck with them or have to pay to get out of them.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Teams taking on bad contracts to hit the cap floor isn't a thing anymore. Any team doing that now is weaponizing their cap space and will expect to be compensated for it. It's not like both teams are doing each other a favor.

Every team is well over the floor by a few million with the exception of the Devil's and they are still over it. Teams that sign bad contracts are stuck with them or have to pay to get out of them.

Never mind 'anymore', it was never a thing in the first place.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It wasn't when they signed them, ie took runs at Lucic, Eriksson, Sutter etc

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I'm pretty sure the thought process from management is that starting next year, this team will be back in playoff contention and with the cheap contracts of Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Juolevi etc can afford to overpay on veteran bottom 6'ers to fill out the bottom half of the line-up.

You assume they high higher level thought processes. I do not.

If they did think the way you suggest, why would they sign 4 year deals? Boeser is up after this year. Gaudette has two more years. Pettersson and Juolevi likely have 3 years. Somewhere in this time period we will also get slammed with cap benefit recapture for Luongo that may last more than one year.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Why would we even try to dump Eriksson? The only reason you'd do that is if you needed cap room. We don't. So he'll continue to make great money being a garbage can and avoiding media availability. Lifestyle contract.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Eriksson could be a useful spare. He can play any forward position. He might be the Canucks best playmaker? Somebody is going to have to set up Boeser.

Canucks have forced themselves into this position and left no outs. We have to assume they wanted this outcome.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Eriksson could be a useful spare. He can play any forward position. He might be the Canucks best playmaker? Somebody is going to have to set up Boeser.

Canucks have forced themselves into this position and left no outs. We have to assume they wanted this outcome.

Seems like they have him penciled in the top 6 to start the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad